Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel insurance

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

Apparently the green list is purely a European plan, and the government has not compiled a list of third countries , see this list from Germany. :Travel from third countries
    Since 17 March 2020 entry restrictions have applied throughout the EU for non-essential travel from third countries. These restrictions also specifically apply to travel to Germany.

On 30 June 2020, in view of the improved global epidemiological situation in some regions, the Council of the European Union adopted a recommendation on relaxing the entry restrictions on the basis of a draft drawn up by the Commission. Germany will implement this recommendation from 2 July 2020 as follows:

Third countries without travel restrictions
    From 2 July 2020, unrestricted travel to Germany is once again possible from the following third countries with low rates of infection:

Australia
    Georgia
    Canada
    New Zealand
    Thailand
    Tunisia
    Uruguay

So I just got my renewal email from TheAA and the premium has jumped up 30 euros for worldwide (excl USA, Canada & Caribean). Death benefit has reduced by 5000 euros.

I have no plans to travel anywhere this year so I see no point in paying for something until I’ll need to use it next.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

Did they also tell you your not covered unless you're on the green list and the insurance company is ok with that too.

horse7 wrote: »
    Did they also tell you your not covered unless you're on the green list and the insurance company is ok with that too.

I haven’t gone through all 90 pages of the policy document yet. I’ll keep you posted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

struggling to find an insurer who will insure going to a country in which the DFA have issued an advisory against. Chill do not do the above despite rumours that they would insure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Meglamonia wrote: »
    struggling to find an insurer who will insure going to a country in which the DFA have issued an advisory against. Chill do not do the above despite rumours that they would insure.

bladespin on this thread said Trailfinders insurance does.....I have my doubts but ask them...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

bladespin on this thread said Trailfinders insurance does.....I have my doubts but ask them...

They’ve clarified that it’s green list only though they were touting cover previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kenkin

Is there any company that will insure you if you are travelling against government advice and not on green list

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bluejay01

kenkin wrote: »
    Is there any company that will insure you if you are travelling against government advice and not on green list

I'm trying to find out this information as well

Despite what was said earlier neither Chill Insurance or Trailfinders will cover for travel against DFA advice.

Anyone found a company for cover yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm going to ring Chill about getting a refund for my annual travel as I've been unable to use it and likely won't be able to.
    For Europe at least I ahve my EHIC card but it's a piss that non-medical cover is withdrawn that isn't related to covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Tuttlinghorn

in case anyone is trawling this thread to get an answer to the question above :

battleface are an insurer that will provide cover for 'non essential travels in locations against FCDO advice'

from what i can see, the DFA are a bit more conservative than FCDO . battleface also cover irish residents. downside is v expensive and can only buy cover from 90 days before departure. So .. you could book your travel well in advance, with an expectation of paying X for insurance .. and then get closer to travel and get hammered if the situation in the destination is deemed riskier.

oh and they dont seem to provide cover in the event of cancel / curtail due to de covid .. 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

Let's wake up this post again.An insurance will not refund anyone for an used travel insurance policy.What they will do if you push them is give a 10 or 20% reduction on your next policy having first bumped up the price by 30%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

Should have said unused annual travel policy in the above post on 24th Feb

Advertisement