Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

360M euro per year to be spent on cycling and walking infrastructure

Options
  • 15-06-2020 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

As part of the new program for government. Does anyone know how much per year is currently spent on this?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

This would be a fantastic benefit for cyclists and walkers if they could get this over the line. In fairness to the Greens, they've been streets ahead of any other party in pushing cycling infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

350 million! that's a lot of paint and greenways!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I'm not sure if lack of money was a problem before. Millions of euros and 10 years was wasted on the liffey cycle route for example and no results were produced. I assumed it was political opposition and possibly corruption that kept cycle lanes out of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Amirani wrote: »
    This would be a fantastic benefit for cyclists and walkers if they could get this over the line. In fairness to the Greens, they've been streets ahead of any other party in pushing cycling infrastructure.

That's because some of their public representative actually use bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Might be no harm to spend a good chunk of that on educational and public relations programs to change attitudes towards vulnerable road users. I'd feel safer on the road if more people cared.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

1 million euro to spend everyday on cycling and walking for 5 years

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

spend it on behavioral changes across the board. pedestrians, cyclists and motorists alike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

I hope the estuary cycleway goes ahead.

I hope they connect Donabate to Lusk afterwards and don't shoot off on some alternative back route to Ardgillan.

It would be fantastic if the Greenway did Lusk-Donabate-Malahide. Malahide is a beautiful town. Would be a nice place to cycle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

many ways to skin a cat.
    i wonder if creating multiple cycle superhighways is one option to address commuting cycling. i'm probably reinventing the wheel that is busconnects (and my concern is that they'll spin busconnects to be mainly about cycling, do the same thing, but claim the money from the cycling budget)

on the northside, have several main routes into the city - coastal option is largely sorted; but malahide road, swords road, N2 and navan road beefed up to make them better for cycling on. create orbital routes on griffith avenue and/or collins avenue (a we're not taking you gardens but tough ****, you ain't parking on the road approach), and most people would live within a kilometre or so of one of these options?
    finish the greenway in along the royal canal, job done for the northside.

interestingly, the road patterns on the southside are more scattered, but that's a result of the wicklow mountains, i guess. but having a decent option for people cycling in from lucan would be great; i've not done it but it doesn't sound like a pleasant experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wX0AXNK697FbGVzihMGuIH6HdmQk0_pU/view

page 13 sets out the highlights.

Bike to work scheme extended to e-bikes and if i understand it correctly at an increased ceiling - so more than €1k available in e-bikes case.

Widen the eligibility of the Bike to Work scheme. We
    will provide an increased proportionate allowance for
    e-bikes and cargo bikes.

This commitment will deliver a five-year, multi-annual funding
    programme linked with a specific target of new separated
    cycling and walking infrastructure, which will be delivered
    or under construction by the end of 2024. This will enable a
    step change in the number of people taking daily journeys by
    foot and bicycle, which will help improve quality of life and air quality

Mandate that every local authority, with assistance
    from the National Transport Authority (NTA), adopts
    a high-quality cycling policy, carries out an assessment
    of their roads network and develops cycle network
    plans, which will be implemented with the help of a
    suitably qualified Cycling Officer with clear powers
    and roles.
    · Expand and enhance the expertise on active travel
    needed to dramatically improve infrastructure and
    participation both in the NTA and local authorities,
    including by establishing Regional Cycle Design Offices,
    co-located in the seven Regional Design Offices for
    roads, to support local authorities.

Dramatically increase the number of children walking
    and cycling to primary and secondary school by
    mandating the Department of Transport to work with

schools across Ireland, local authorities, the Green-
    Schools programme and local initiatives, including

Cycle Bus and School Streets.
    · Widen the eligibility of the Bike to Work scheme. We
    will provide an increased proportionate allowance for
    e-bikes and cargo bikes.
    · Ramp up the Cycle Right programme to ensure that all
    children are offered cycling training in primary school.
    · Conduct a review of road traffic policy and legislation
    to prioritise the safety of walking and cycling.

Greenways
    We will lead the development of an integrated national
    greenways strategy. This has the potential to transform modal
    shift and improve air quality and public health.
    This commitment to cycling will enable us to achieve the
    huge ambition of developing an integrated national network
    of greenways to be used by commuters, leisure cyclists and
    tourists. We will continue the coordinated approach between
    central government, local authorities, and agencies to deliver
    on this ambition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

many ways to skin a cat.
    i wonder if creating multiple cycle superhighways is one option to address commuting cycling. i'm probably reinventing the wheel that is busconnects (and my concern is that they'll spin busconnects to be mainly about cycling, do the same thing, but claim the money from the cycling budget)

You are correct and in fact they are explicit about this:
    The total spend on walking and cycling infrastructure includes
    committed funding from the Department of Transport, Tourism
    and Sport for active travel, greenways and an agreed pedestrian
    and cycling allocation from the Bus Connects programme.

so the 10% of transport capital spending allocated to cycling will include this spending. Still a great advance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Fian wrote: »
    Bike to work scheme extended to e-bikes
    it already includes e-bikes but the higher price for entry to that market would put many people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Bike retailers will be delighted

Secure bike storage facilities in towns and cities is a huge few issue

Is there any point in trying to change the behaviour of adult car drivers?
    Spend the money on cycling infrastructure instead

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

What they really should do is spend that money on creating a huge tent over Ireland to protect cyclists from the howling winds and driving rains we get in this country.

No, we are not Copenhagen or Barcelona lads.

What they really should do is spend that money on creating a huge tent over Ireland to protect cyclists from the howling winds and driving rains we get in this country.

This is like a boomer joke you might hear in the 1990s and roll your eyes and resume listening to your walkman.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Tyson Lannister

cgcsb wrote: »
    This is like a boomer joke you might hear in the 1990s and roll your eyes and resume listening to your walkman.

Boomer - stop using those americanisms over here

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Average number of rainy days per year:
    Copenhagen: 171
    Dublin: 151

NB: These are days on which it rains at any point in the 24 hours. Days on which it is actively raining during the morning or evening commuting hours are many fewer. The figure for Dublin is 35 days per year on which you would get wet cycling to or from work. I don't have a figure for Copenhagen, but the figure for Amsterdam is 62 days a year, so Dublin's level is clearly not incompatible with a lively cycling culture.

Are we made of sugar, or what?

cgcsb wrote: »

Thanks but i'd prefer shower once a day, not 3 times after getting soaked on the way into and out of work. Not to mention almost getting blown into the ocean by howling horizontal winds.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Might be no harm to spend a good chunk of that on educational and public relations programs to change attitudes towards vulnerable road users. I'd feel safer on the road if more people cared.

Reminds me of something I saw the other night. An X5 driver just had to overtake a father and young son out for a cycle. Rather than waiting 10 seconds for oncoming traffic to pass he close passed them and forced the oncoming car to jam on.

Sadly this selfish entitled behaviour is not an uncommon sight.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Average number of rainy days per year:
    Copenhagen: 171
    Dublin: 151

NB: These are days on which it rains at any point in the 24 hours. Days on which it is actively raining during the morning or evening commuting hours are many fewer. The figure for Dublin is 35 days per year on which you would get wet cycling to or from work. I don't have a figure for Copenhagen, but the figure for Amsterdam is 62 days a year, so Dublin's level is clearly not incompatible with a lively cycling culture.

Are we made of sugar, or what?

Wind speeds are far worse in Dublin for cyclists than Copenhagen. There's a big difference between gentle falling rain and howling horizontal rain for a cyclist.

• Advertisement

Thanks but i'd prefer shower once a day, not 3 times after getting soaked on the way into and out of work. Not to mention almost getting blown into the ocean by howling horizontal winds.

How did previous generations of people survive in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Wind speeds are far worse in Dublin for cyclists than Copenhagen. There's a big difference between gentle falling rain and howling horizontal rain for a cyclist.
    Denmark is famously windy; hence all the wind power. I don't have figures, but I'd be very surprised if Copenhagen were not a windier city than Dublin.

You're just lookin' for excuses not to cycle, ya wimp, ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

There's a big difference between gentle falling rain and howling horizontal rain for a cyclist.

You do a lot of cycling in different types of wet weather conditions of course I have no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

Not according to these statistics:

Dublin - https://weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-Wind-speed,Dublin,Ireland

Copenhagen - https://weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-Wind-speed,copenhagen,Denmark

No average month of the year is windier in Dublin over Copenhagen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

are you sure you're living in Dublin and not, say, Rockall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Wind...sounds like good training weather to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Kander wrote: »
    Not according to these statistics:

Dublin - https://weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-Wind-speed,Dublin,Ireland

Copenhagen - https://weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-Wind-speed,copenhagen,Denmark

No average month of the year is windier in Dublin over Copenhagen.

Data won't convince someone who has their mind made up in relation to climate in my experience.

My father recorded the daily rainfall for 5 or 6 years after he retired. Same time every morning, little device measured within 1/100 of an inch. My brother transferred in to excel spreadsheet.

Any time someone would complain that
    * it was worst year ever
    *we never had rain like this years ago etc etc
    would remain steadfast when I reminded them that the local rainfall for 4 years running never went 100mm from the predicted 1200mm average.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I cycle regularly to work along a 1km stretch of road, exposed to west coast.

It's grand.

Yes, there are some rainy days.

But overall it's fine.

Like I mentioned in a thread the other day, I'd rather be wet and moving than dry and stood at a bus stop or sat in traffic.

When I first moved to Dublin my commute involved waiting on a bus that may or may not be full in the morning on a notoriously bad route so could be there 10-30 minutes until one came or had space. Sometimes... often the first bus scheduled wouldn't arrive at all leading to later busses to be full , then 30-45 minutes on said bus followed by a 20 minute walk to work.

The way home was usually worse traffic wise especially in Dundrum.

This was winter too so busses were cramped and dripping in condensation.

Only took 3 or 4 weeks to get sick of that and a bike was acquired. 20 minutes each way rain or shine and a hot shower waiting for me at either end of the journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭buffalo

loyatemu wrote: »
    are you sure you're living in Dublin and not, say, Rockall?

Rockall isn't Copenhagen or Barcelona lads!

...I'm not sure what my logic is, much like the OP I suspect.

Advertisement