Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice regarding speed, distance etc

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

If you want good price good quality clothing order of galibier cc online. Based out of Lurgan so deliverys/ returns are easy. I used to go to dhb but wiggle crc use seasonal pricing so it's not at a good price when you think of buying it, I never end up buying summer kit in winter. Other than that club kit offers good value if you join a club or you can get some nice castelli, assos, ale etc. stuff on sale. I've found replica kits of pro teams can usally be relatively good value for money also.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Omega28 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Yes, I'm from Dublin, close to the airport.

I wear XL but I could easily fit in to a Large.

PM your prices :)

You are welcome to whatever I have, free, let me look in the press, then I'll tell you what I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Omega28

wheelo01 wrote: »
    You are welcome to whatever I have, free, let me look in the press, then I'll tell you what I have.

I couldn't take them for free. I would rather give you what they are worth.

As my mammy would say - "you can light a candle for me"
    It's not top end stuff, it is just something to get you going.

It's a few bits I have left from this thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110074926 and if you insist on a payment, buy a homeless person a sandwich.

wheelo01 wrote: »
    As my mammy would say - "you can light a candle for me"
    It's not top end stuff, it is just something to get you going.

It's a few bits I have left from this thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110074926 and if you insist on a payment, buy a homeless person a sandwich.

There's still some decent folk left out there. I appreciate that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Hi lads, apologies for hijacking the thread, but I have a question that is related to the OPs query which I hope you can shed some light on.

Compared to some on here, I'm a relative novice, as I only stated cycling with any real intent last year. I regularly cycle up to 200k/week and my average speed varies between 24-26 km/hr on my cycles. I have a Giant Contend SL1 but with flat pedals. So my question is, how much of an improvement could I expect to see if I got clipless pedals & cleats, or even pedals with straps? Would it be reasonable to expect an improvement in speed of 1-2 km/hr, or am I thinking about it all wrong! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

I couldn't be sure exactly but definitely makes a difference as you can pull up aswell as push down, especially going uphill

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Tony04 wrote: »
    I couldn't be sure exactly but definitely makes a difference as you can pull up aswell as push down, especially going uphill

Much more efficient cadence as stated above pushing and pulling more effective than just pushing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Hi lads, apologies for hijacking the thread, but I have a question that is related to the OPs query which I hope you can shed some light on.

Compared to some on here, I'm a relative novice, as I only stated cycling with any real intent last year. I regularly cycle up to 200k/week and my average speed varies between 24-26 km/hr on my cycles. I have a Giant Contend SL1 but with flat pedals. So my question is, how much of an improvement could I expect to see if I got clipless pedals & cleats, or even pedals with straps? Would it be reasonable to expect an improvement in speed of 1-2 km/hr, or am I thinking about it all wrong! :confused:

I've recently moved the other way from SPDs to pinned flat pedals with a big platform and am seeing only marginal difference. I've previously had cheaper flat pedals and found clipless were a big improvement, notably descending and also in terms of general comfort on long rides.

I bought myself a pair of cycling shoes yesterday and I'm half tempted to try them out today on my 75km spin but I'm also very uncomfortable with clipping them out especially since I've never used them before and coming up to lights/built up areas.

I tried them on and cycled around the block and felt anxious in case I couldn't clip out fast enough

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,348 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

perfect timing, GCN uploaded this yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

Clipping out will become second nature in no time but the first few spins will take a bit of getting used to. I still can't belive that you managed to do 100s of kilometers on look pedals without cleats. Being clipped in should be a million times more comfortable! As a start try unclipping your left foot while slowing down well before coming to a junction. Say 30m out from where you stop. If you unclip too late there is a really good chance of falling over. The other thing that takes a bit of getting used to is clipping in while moving and not looking down. Practice makes perfect and it doesn't take too long. Best of luck with your new hobby!

Thanks very much everyone for the advice.

Today I went out and did around 86km on my trainers but tomorrow I'll wear the shoes.

Also, I'm still having problems increasing my average speed. Could this be because of my routes? A lot of built up areas and lights like the city centre, Malahide, Portmanock, Swords etc

If anyone would like to follow me on Strava, just search Dylan McCann.

Omega28 wrote: »
    If anyone would like to follow me on Strava, just search Dylan McCann.

I sent you a PM about what stuff I gave here if you want it. Sent a few days ago.
    Just followed on Strava

Advertisement