Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staycation Ireland.. Anyone doing it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sabinaspb

Does anyone have a recommendation for a hotel that has a separate sleeping area for kids? The Amber Springs in Gorey has a perfect set up but have been there a few times.

Hotel Killarney have a few family rooms that are more like apartments with a mini kitchen and a separate sitting room room. You could also look at the likes of gleneagle apartments or the quality hotels in Cork that offer apartments. Pretty sure you could ask many hotels for interconnected rooms too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

krissovo wrote: »
    +1 If you don't plan for bad weather in Ireland you are a bit of a ejit. You can still have fun in wellies and rain jackets and also wetsuits which enabled us to enjoy our holiday despite the rainy days. The real pain is wind when raining but find a wind sheltered beach or forrest walk in the rain and its genuinely possible to have craic.

Also there are some crazy micro climates around Ireland, particularly I find around the West Cork & Kerry border where it could be lashing down everywhere else but Bantry & Glengarriff are bone dry.

each to their own, i can think of nothing worse than staying in Ireland and it just rains and is wet most of the time, that for me isnt a holiday,but as i said each to their own i certainly wont be staying anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭josip

krissovo wrote: »
    The real pain is wind when raining but find a wind sheltered beach or forest walk in the rain and its genuinely possible to have craic.

Summer holidaying in Ireland summed up in 1 sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,564 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

jonnny68 wrote: »
    each to their own, i can think of nothing worse than staying in Ireland and it just rains and is wet most of the time, that for me isnt a holiday,but as i said each to their own i certainly wont be staying anyway.

Well actually I think it'd be worse if you abroad and that happened to you... in a hotel or campsite - granted it's rare.

Rain at home I can handle more if I'm staying in a holiday home.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Well actually I think it'd be worse if you abroad and that happened to you... in a hotel or campsite - granted it's rare.

Rain at home I can handle more if I'm staying in a holiday home.

Oh yes, thankfully it has never happened to us, but I can remember the absolute misery of being stuck in a mobile home in Clare for a week when I was a kid, the horror scarred me for life, we were supposed to stay for a fortnight but my parents just gave up the second weekend and we went home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Kalimah

bladespin wrote: »
    Oh yes, thankfully it has never happened to us, but I can remember the absolute misery of being stuck in a mobile home in Clare for a week when I was a kid, the horror scarred me for life, we were supposed to stay for a fortnight but my parents just gave up the second weekend and we went home.

I always remember my friend telling me about being on a beach in Rosslare being sandblasted out of it, and seeing the boat heading out towards France. She made a vow to be on it the next year and she was!
    I haven't holidayed in Ireland for at least the last 25 years. It's just not worth the grief with weather, and being gouged by holiday home owners who charge you for the electricity you use. Not to mention the cost of eating out for a family. We'd have self catered in Ireland back in the 90s because of the cost and,couldn't believe that we could afford to eat out all the time with the family in Spain a couple of years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Kalimah wrote: »
    I always remember my friend telling me about being on a beach in Rosslare being sandblasted out of it, and seeing the boat heading out towards France. She made a vow to be on it the next year and she was!
    I haven't holidayed in Ireland for at least the last 25 years. It's just not worth the grief with weather, and being gouged by holiday home owners who charge you for the electricity you use. Not to mention the cost of eating out for a family. We'd have self catered in Ireland back in the 90s because of the cost and,couldn't believe that we could afford to eat out all the time with the family in Spain a couple of years later.

About 7 or 8 years ago we rented a house in Kerry for a week.
    It was €700 in advance. But she wanted another €10 per day for electricity to be paid at the end, so we said OK.
    After 2 days of driving rain and everything around the place closed, and a weather forecast of worse to come for the whole week, we decided to pack up and go home.
    We knocked on the main door of the house and told the woman we were leaving because we werent enjoying the rain and it was better weather at home for the week and she said grand.
    I handed her €30 for 3 days electricity (€10 a day as agreed). It was 48 hours really in total that we were there. And she went ballistic. Wanted €70 for electricity for the 7 days.
    The husband went out and moved his car in front of the gate so we couldnt get out.

She threatened to call the police and we caved in and gave it to her just to get out of there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

JimmyVik wrote: »
    About 7 or 8 years ago we rented a house in Kerry for a week.
    It was €700 in advance. But she wanted another €10 per day for electricity to be paid at the end, so we said OK.
    After 2 days of driving rain and everything around the place closed, and a weather forecast of worse to come for the whole week, we decided to pack up and go home.
    We knocked on the main door of the house and told the woman we were leaving because we werent enjoying the rain and it was better weather at home for the week and she said grand.
    I handed her €30 for 3 days electricity (€10 a day as agreed). It was 48 hours really in total that we were there. And she went ballistic. Wanted €70 for electricity for the 7 days.
    The husband went out and moved his car in front of the gate so we couldnt get out.

She threatened to call the police and we caved in and gave it to her just to get out of there.

Funny enough it was a family holiday to Kerry 23 years ago, that convinced me never to holiday in Ireland again. The price gouging was and is outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Heading to Bundoran\WestPort\Galway\Clare\Killarney end of August looking forward to it,

Ashamed to say it took a worldwide pandemic to holiday within Ireland

Funny enough it was a family holiday to Kerry 23 years ago, that convinced me never to holiday in Ireland again. The price gouging was and is outrageous.

Ive said never again 3 times now.
    Each time I think, maybe this time we wont get rained out.
    But each time we have. It took a pandemic for me to try it for a third time and got rained out again. I cant do a 4th :) Please pandemic, be over soon.

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »

I had a similar experience in Courtown... am sure similar experience inspired the Father Ted episode with Graham Norton riverdancing in the caravan...

Couldn't agree more. We stayed in a place in Kerry in 1992 where the house owners had moved out to a glorified shed for the time we were there. The sitting room was locked, so all we had use of was the large kitchen dining room and bedrooms obviously. Weather was poor too - it was August. Never again.

That year I had thought of doing a Shannon cruise but it was IR£800 which was a month's wages. I saw someone had priced it recently at €3200 which is STILL a month's wages! Any house I have checked out for a week is minimum €1500 and in a lot of cases more. No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,948 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Couldn't agree more. We stayed in a place in Kerry in 1992 where the house owners had moved out to a glorified shed for the time we were there. The sitting room was locked, so all we had use of was the large kitchen dining room and bedrooms obviously. Weather was poor too - it was August. Never again.

What a weird holiday set up.

What a weird holiday set up.

I'd say they wanted to make some money, and keep an eye on the place at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

92 was a bit wet remember the crowd pricking up the mats on the ground a féile during Cristy Moore so we didn't get drenched. Was a long hot summer if I remember correctly...

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

have done both west mayo and north donegal this summer , both class, amazing scenery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Think it was this thread, someone was advising people to go camping. This is for you:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

We gave in on camping in Ireland years ago. Attempted twice in the summer only to be drenched and depressed for a week and the second time giving in after 3 days.

Never again put my family through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I had a similar experience in Courtown... am sure similar experience inspired the Father Ted episode with Graham Norton riverdancing in the caravan...

Court Town or Tramore. Shudder....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/government-plans-give-families-staycation-22392037.amp

This would have been benefitial had it been announced in May or June latest, but September? They are either absolute unredeemable idiots or flat out trolling the public.

• Advertisement

That year I had thought of doing a Shannon cruise but it was IR£800 which was a month's wages. I saw someone had priced it recently at €3200 which is STILL a month's wages! Any house I have checked out for a week is minimum €1500 and in a lot of cases more. No thanks.

We stayed in Kerry a few weeks ago.
    It was a friends holiday home who let us stay for free.
    It lashed rain the whole time. Noting to do. The sun came out as we were leaving. I wouldnt do it again even if I got it for free again :)
    Just looking out at the lashing rain now from home. Makes me shudder at the thoughts of paying to stay somewhere in that weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭combat14

day trips seem to be the answer this year.. get up early, come back late and have the whole day out exploring accommodation free - bring a picnic and restaurant free too

after that stay with friends/ family around the country even better than hotels

or try some camping some great campsites around the country

not sure what happening with govts staycation package ... the summer will be over shortly ...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

The_Brood wrote: »
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/government-plans-give-families-staycation-22392037.amp

This would have been benefitial had it been announced in May or June latest, but September? They are either absolute unredeemable idiots or flat out trolling the public.

Or they could be trying to extend the season past August and encouraging people to take an additional trip on top of their Summer one that they may not have otherwise.

Quite hilariously ironic when people call others idiots while showing a complete inability to use a bit of logical reasoning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Amirani wrote: »
    Or they could be trying to extend the season past August and encouraging people to take an additional trip on top of their Summer one that they may not have otherwise.

Quite hilariously ironic when people call others idiots while showing a completely inability to use a bit of logical reasoning.

Are you justifying their decision to roll this out in September? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,641 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

JimmyVik wrote: »
    We stayed in Kerry a few weeks ago.
    It was a friends holiday home who let us stay for free.
    It lashed rain the whole time. Noting to do. The sun came out as we were leaving. I wouldnt do it again even if I got it for free again :)
    Just looking out at the lashing rain now from home. Makes me shudder at the thoughts of paying to stay somewhere in that weather.

It hasn't been cold so not sure why rain stops so many people going out and doing stuff, As long as you have the proper clothing your fine,

Unless you have very young babies of course,

Waiting on details on this staycation tax break scheme.

Would a party in October in an Irish hotel be covered? Maybe just the food and room costs?
    And is hotel being used as a catch all or would it only apply to hotels and not say holiday homes?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Are you justifying their decision to roll this out in September? :confused:

I'm not justifying anything, I'm outlining the reasoning that the previous poster doesn't seem to have considered.

I've heard a couple of hoteliers speaking positively about waiting until September to roll out the tax break (or vouchers, which seem less likely). August is going to be their busiest month of the year anyway, so they'd rather people be given some additional spending money after then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

The negativity here about staycations, (or just holidays as most people like to call them) is great

Means there will be more available accommodation for those who genuinely want to go and less people in the restaurants / bars grumbling about things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

The negativity here about staycations, (or just holidays as most people like to call them) is great

Means there will be more available accommodation for those who genuinely want to go and less people in the restaurants / bars grumbling about things.

Best of luck, I’m sure the Americans will squeeze you in ;)

Ah no, Ireland’s a great country to live in but it’s nice to get away too, it’s also a great country for a holiday

if you’re rich and fed up with sunny weather.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

From what I’m hearing most popular coastal places are jammed. Other half is down in west cork with her family and her dad hasn’t seen it this busy since the 70s/80s. People parking outside their home just to get a dander/few hours sunbathing on the beach.
    1 hour wait times at the restaurant

Advertisement