Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mercruiser 5.0 MPi 260Hp Spark Plug Gap!

• 13-06-2020 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello everbody!

Long time since i posted.. here it goes

I have a 2009 Motor in my boat.

As the title says its a Mercruiser 5.0 260Hp MPi with an alpha one version 2 leg.

Im trying to find the right spark plug and spark plug gap!

From the NGK spark plug finder link below they say use an iridium ITR5F13 with a gap of 1.5 mm

https://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/marine_extra.php?id=709

From the Mercruiser parts finder using my motors serial number its saying use IRR4A15 but it doesnt mention a gap anywhere?

https://www.mercruiserparts.com/8m2018369-ngk-itr4a15

Ive read, i think most of the forums and one guy is saying the 15 at the end of the part number means pre-gapped to 1.5mm ?

Anyone crossed this bridge before and get a definite answer... i dont want to melt my motor out at sea!

Is the NGK ITR4a15 plug already pre gapped? 0 votes

YES
    0% 0 votes
    NO
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

It can be different depending on who built the engine and what parts they use, the gap for yours should be on a sticker on the flame arrester cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lynch.ie

Thanks Fergal.

The plug and gap is indeed listed on the side of the flame arrester but thats for the plug mercruiser recommenced in 2009. they have changed that recommenced plug a few times since then as per the mercruiser parts catalog.

So in the end, I used 8 IRR4A15 leaving the gap as it was supplied. The boat is running very well. Hope this helps fellow googlers :-)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

They may have changed with different fuel systems, disturbers, electronic ignition and so on over the years.
    Happy boating.

Advertisement