Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Ceramic* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,906 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

LIDL have instant light lumpwood charcoal in a red bag €4. Contains 2 x 1kg bags.

It's instant light. Restaurant stuff might be better for long cooking perhaps.

https://www.lidl.ie/p/summer-bbq-food/barbeque-charcoal/p11353

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭budgemook

Hi, it has been pointed out many times on this thread that the Weber briquettes don't have nasty ingredients.

I prefer lumpwood for the Kamado Joe though, I just find it easier to work with in terms of temp control and also reusability. I usually get the blue bags of restaurant grade charcoal delivered to me from woodfuel.ie who are based in Trim. If you have someone locally who sells firewood check with them, they might stock it.

Instant light might be okay for a quick grill on a camping trip or if desperate but in general it's pure shite - the pieces are too small, the chemicals are too nasty and it doesn't last nearly long enough for the type of cooking I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Thanks budgemook

Yes have tried both aldi /lidl and agree, shite

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Don't use any instant light bags in a ceramic BBQ, You should not use anything with petrol in it in a ceramic BBQ, It will transfer across to your food and give it a petrol taste. The ceramic absorbs it and releases it later.

Try use restaurant grade lumpwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Anyone have any good tips on how to clean a KJ dome?

Every time I light it up, the first twenty minutes or so the smoke feels dirty. I'm using natural lighters, which came with the KJ, and Big Green Egg 100% Premium Lump Charcoal.

• Advertisement

light a really hot fire in it and let it burn out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Thanks, budgemook, I didn't consider that. I'll give it shot when i next fire it up. I might change firelighters as well just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

One of my lower vents in my Weber kettle broke. Over 40 quid for a replacement! Very expensive for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I bought a Eur14 heat gun and use that to light my coals - works everytime.

Smoking dad BBQ on youtube has a good video on cleaning you BBQ - High heat burn all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Managed to find a €60 mini Kamado in Aldi in Athlone today. We are up visiting the out-laws and by pure chance my MiL wanted a lift to Aldi so I tagged along for a look. 1 grill left right by the entrance and it's now safely in the car for the drive home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

In case anyone was interested, Aldi had their mini kamado reduced to 15 Euro today... maybe last one in the store (Maynooth)

Despite the ridiculously low price I left it as I have a Q2200 for the sorts of cooks people seem to do on these yokes.

15 euro is a steal for a solid little BBQ. Good for camping or days out etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Javalupo

Hey guys, I'm a new Kamado owner. I'd like to get some good recommendations about where to find a good quality lump charcoal. I've bought a 10Kg bag from that Texas Club, and it was really disappointing, filled with small pieces instead of good and big chunks. Which are the good brand to buy in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

I have to say my experiance with texas club hasnt been the same as you. great size chunks , very little small bits and I have used a good few bags.

Maybe you were unlucky with the bag

Does anyone keep their ceramic grill outside? I have a KJ classic which I currently keep in the shed but I am moving to a new house where the ideal spot for using it is up some steps away from the garage / shed. Obviously I won't be dragging it up a set of steps every weekend. I know there are covers available but wondered if people have issues with rust or otherwise in our beautiful moist climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭hargo

outside with cover without problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

This is very quiet.

Are people not using them in the winter?

I did the turkey at Christmas, have been doing slow ribs every so often and burgers most weeks.

Came in here for some inspiration for something more adventurous. I see most of the websites are saying brisket as its a cheap cut and low and slow suits etc, but butchers in Dublin looking for around 45 /55 quid for 3kg.

I don't mind spending that I guess, but seems a lot for a first time experimenting. Would a smaller size work OK to try first? I know it's cooked per weight etc, so I guess no difference cooking a 1kg v a 3kg, same temp oven and just cook to internal temp reached? There's no particular advantages to the larger piece of meat sitting for 20 + hours?

Any other recommendations? Again, looking online etc but mostly Americans and I think they have different quality meet so prefer a more local recommendation if possible.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭wassie

So finally bit the bullet and bought a Kamado Bono a couple of weeks ago, fired it up last week to cure it* whilst the weather was still dry.

* Lame excuse to play with a new toy

Like others, couldn't stretch the budget to KJ or BGE, but I did score a bargain as there was a complete mess up with my purchase. I ordered the 23" Grande but had issues with the order not going through. In the end, I still got charged the wrong price and ended up being sent the 25" Limited for £799 incl delivery to ROI. Given the drama during the ordering process I went through, needless to say I took the win.

I found this website with a fairly comprehensive review of the technical differences between the premium brands and budget brands. Well worth a read as there has been a bit of discussion about this topic and useful for anyone who is considering making a purchase. It really comes down to ones own personal circumstances.

Even with the criticism the Bono received in this review, I'm comfortable enough with my purchase knowing it is a reasonably well supported brand with some history. The quality of the product I think is reasonable, although some of the metal components will be prone to corrosion, but that can be managed by storage indoors.

I've read this whole thread over the last couple of days and there are some fantastic posts. There is so much to be gained on the interwebs and especially youtube, but you cant beat the local knowledge also with things like the difference in cooking Irish beef vs US beef and sourcing of ingredients.

Looking forward to the grand stretch in the evenin'!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Sidford

Thanks for the good link.

Keep us updated on how the grill works out for you.

How come you went for the Bono over the Joe Classic? Price wise they are very similar given you paid £799 for the Bono and Joe Classic is 950. Havnt bit the bullet yet on one as still trying to justify the outlay..wife on at me to get one but 1k ish is a decent spend so still weighing it up

I originally ordered the 23" Bono Grande and negotiated a price of £699 (converted to €815 at that time) as I wanted the biggest BBQ I could get (noting that the actual cooking area is around 19.5"). Somewhere the order got messed up and I had a frustrating back and forth with UK supplier. Then without warning I was eventually charged £799 and delivered the Limited. No idea what happened, but as I said, took the win.

I was originally considering the KJ Classic 1 (which is what I have seen for €950) which is is 18". Doesnt sound a lot, but is around under 18% smaller in cooking area than the Grande. I also didn't like the felt gasket, the wire cart (mine will get moved around a lot on a driveway) and the plastic shelves compared to the Bono. I like wooden trims on BBQs - I have a Sahara S350 gas BBQ for same reason! But that aside, if I had the budget, the KJ Classic 3 ticks all the boxes for me but more than twice the price. In particular I really like the smoke vent on the KJ Classic 2 & 3.

But in fairness, your question is a good one as it highlights the differences in actual usable grill size vs marketed size, which is why (in part) I posted the link. Ended up up with the 25" Limited which has a cooking area of just over 21.5" diameter so Im super happy. Really comes down to a personal choice, but if that review I posted is correct, there are clear differences between the premium & budget brands and people will have different reasons for purchasing what they want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭hargo

Definitely horses for courses on size of kamado. Because there is only 2 of us now I went for the 15" Minimo cooking area of 13" and exactly the same size as the KJ junior. That smoking dad on youtube does a very good review which was why I went for that size and the fact that I picked it up for €220 slightly used helped!

But 3 years down the road having cooked lots of times for 6 people and more without stress from the size point of view I think its a great piece of kit. Yes there are times when I wish I had a bigger cooking area but that was really for grill type of cooking lots of pieces together. I don't have experience of the very big kamados but with the smaller unit I use it for grilling several times a week as it is so fast to heat up 10/15 minutes after the flame thrower in it for a minute and so efficient ie several cooks from one fill of charcoal and it doesn't take a lot of coal to start with.

I have no problem slow cooking joints of meat up to 3 kg and will never roast a chicken in the oven again throw it on the rotisserie attachment I got for it.

So for a small family on a budget the 15" Kamado is super option that I can highly recommend. Ps I have a broil king gas bbq great piece of kit but haven't used it since I got the Kamado , you just don't get the flavour and a large bullet smoker which eats through coals compared to the Kamado.

I'm bit conflicted can get a 2nd hand bono grande for €500 (in good condition) or a kamado Joe Classic for €880. Obviously big difference in size but don't really need the size of the grande. Leaning more towards the KL Classic given the ability to get accessories, brand recognition etc

Any thoughts?

Is 880 for KJ classic new or second hand?

That's new which is lowest price I have seen it at so its a good deal IMO

Yeah 880 is very good

The size difference (Bono Grande 19.5" vs KJ 18") in actual cooking area around 18% (unless my maths is wrong!) Maybe not as big a difference as you think. Im happy enough with my Bono Limited, but I would be concerned about buying one 2nd hand, mainly because Bono's so called 'unlimited warranty' on the ceramic only applies to the first buyer. Also you have the hassle of transporting it and making sure it doesnt get damaged in the process.

On the other hand, it could be a good buy and end up being good value. The KJ will always be a good buy, with good warranty support if needed and quality + accessories. If it were a couple of hundred difference and i could afford it I would go the KJ. But €380 is a large enough to leave you with a tough choice!

Fired up my first cook last weekend and managed to cook a rolled roast easy enough. Fantastic that there are so many Youtube videos to get started, but started going down the rabbit-hole!

I feel its going to take few more cooks before I'm comfortable with this setup. Think the old 4 burner gas bbq is going to be feeling unloved this summer.

Was cautious of not going too big on the fire and overshoot my cooking temp as the main message I was getting that it can them take a long time to get the temp down. But I actually struggled to get it hot enough initially, mainly I think due to (1) not enough charcoal and (2) having both deflector plates down low. Once I opened up a half it made a massive difference (obviously with increased airflow). But super impressed as to how long and stable it can hold heat for.

Forecast for this Saturday looks perfect for a slow winter cook with no wind or rain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Any ceramic small grills on sale either in Aldi or Lidl? I missed the deal last year, when they were going for €40 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Saw an add poster for one in Lidl at the weekend, so probably Thursday.

Lidl and Aldi put their offers online.

• Advertisement

They are in Lidl since yesterday.

Advertisement