Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Pizza oven Build

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

That's bloody awesome. You'll have to post pics of the pizzas that come out of this!

Edit: are those some sort of ceramic coated bricks on the base of the inside of the oven?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

MadYaker wrote: »
    That's bloody awesome. You'll have to post pics of the pizzas that come out of this!

Edit: are those some sort of ceramic coated bricks on the base of the inside of the oven?

Firebrick with fire cement between the bricks. Wont crack or break up even at really high temperatures so is used as a surface to cook on.

https://www.goodwins.ie/fire-brick-amp-cement/c-1114.html

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

Firebrick with fire cement between the bricks. Wont crack or break up even at really high temperatures so is used as a surface to cook on.

https://www.goodwins.ie/fire-brick-amp-cement/c-1114.html

Thanks to you this will be my project for next year, having gotten my patio down this summer :D, any idea of roughly how much it will cost you all in?

NewCorkLad wrote: »
    Thanks to you this will be my project for next year, having gotten my patio down this summer :D, any idea of roughly how much it will cost you all in?

This build is stupidly over done. There is no need for the amount of Vermiculite or concrete used nor is there any need to build the base out of redbrick.

But rough costs:

Bricks 600 ( Could have gotten for far less but got at outhaus which is silly money and their delivery cost is outrageous @ 70 quid for 20 mins up the M1
    Vermiculite 100 (4X bags of 100 liter from goodwins)
    Cement, About 10 bags so 60 quid various diy shops
    Sand, About 20 bags at 4 quid so another 60 quid
    firebrick and fire ceemnt ~100 from goodwins
    Oven door from amazon, 100 quid
    Large exercise ball, 20 quid amazon
    steel rebar for support, wood frames, templates screws etc all salvaged

So total in and around a grand plus many many hours of work. If I went with blocks for the base, kao wool as filler and a rendered dome finish probably would have been able to do it for 300 odd quid, but wheres the fun in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

This build is stupidly over done. There is no need for the amount of Vermiculite or concrete used nor is there any need to build the base out of redbrick.

But rough costs:

Bricks 600 ( Could have gotten for far less but got at outhaus which is silly money and their delivery cost is outrageous @ 70 quid for 20 mins up the M1
    Vermiculite 100 (4X bags of 00 liter from goodwins)
    Cement, About 10 bags so 60 quid various diy shops
    Sand, About 20 bags at 4 quid so another 60 quid
    firebrick and fire ceemnt ~100 from goodwins
    Oven door from amazon, 100 quid
    Large exercise ball, 20 quid amazon
    steel rebar for support, wood frames, templates screws etc all salvaged

So total in and around a grand plus many many hours of work. If I went with blocks for the base, kao wool as filler and a rendered dome finish probably would have been able to do it for 300 odd quid, but wheres the fun in that?

If you are doing it you might as well do it right, Ill be looking to source red bricks for it but I have the year to gather everything so will take my time. Thanks

• Advertisement

So, started on the arch but rain stopped play, again. I had a inch by 3/4 piece of timber which I just cut into small pieces to use as shims. All the gaps will be filled and tidied when its done.

Ive been lighting tempering fires and the outer part of the oven doesn't even get anything beyond warm. like you can rest your hand on any part for however long.

Looking forward to a proper firing and cooking of pizza on Saturday, even if it rains!!

521005.jpeg

521006.jpeg

521008.jpeg

It's coming together now !
    How much do you reckon it cost all in ?

It's coming together now !
    How much do you reckon it cost all in ?

up above

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Very impressive OP. What temperature do you expect the oven to reach?

Very impressive OP. What temperature do you expect the oven to reach?

Tested on the weekend,. only fired it for about an hour and a half and used it when the cooking floor was about 370 degrees C and the walls were off the charts on my ~550 degree ir gun.

Will be firing it up on Sunday for a proper run so will see how hot it gets then.

First pizza was a disaster, second one came out better, It was raining so didn't take pics of the few other test runs.

521314.jpeg

• Advertisement

Got the arch finished and started doing a bit of tidy up on the bricks. Not perfect but My bricklaying skills are non-existent so I have my standards set nice and low.

GLS have failed to deliver my Door so I wont have it on for my pizza party on Sunday which is really really annoying but sure not the end of the world.

521723.jpeg

521724.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You tiling the front ? Something Mediterranean themed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭bamayang

Great work, you’ve flown through it

listermint wrote: »
    You tiling the front ? Something Mediterranean themed ?

I was just gonna add the door and render it but the kids want to be involved so I'm thinking something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

I was just gonna add the door and render it but the kids want to be involved so I'm thinking something like that

Unreal work! Very well built
    Your support structure for the oven looks very solid to support all that weight

JJJackal wrote: »
    Unreal work! Very well built
    Your support structure for the oven looks very solid to support all that weight

I was worried that the top which the oven would sit on would collapse so the 5 lengths of 3/4 inch rebar I salvaged and cut to size was perhaps overkill but there's no chance of it coming apart :)

Had a bit of a pizza party over the weekend, Didn't take to many photos but we cooked at least 20 pizzas and naan breads. Skewers done on the BBQ eaten in naan bread straight from the oven is heavenly.

The oven door arrived late, on Tuesday (due last week), so now just have to fit it which will be a challenge in itself!!

522134.jpeg

522135.jpeg

522136.jpeg

Long-time no update. Finally got started on getting the door put on. One of the problems I foresaw is that the lip of the door frame has nothing to grip and the door itself is quite heavy so it could easily come undone when being left open or slightly ajar.

To prevent this I decided to weld on some big steel nails that will give it extra support when I concrete it in. Turned out I had no welding gas in the bottle so its welded without gas, meaning its a big horrible mess of weld, but they're stuck on and thats what matters. Bodgery at its finest.

I've spray painted it with stove paint and its now drying. No pics of that now, will do when done.

528212.jpg

528213.jpg

Thats class.
    There was a fella on Gardeners world last Friday using his to make sun dried tomatoes !

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭matban

Good job, there is a real skill in using these ovens, the pizzas's you will be making in 12 months will be off the charts

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gooddarts10

Hi do you have a link to the door you used ? I can’t find one on Amazon that’s ships to Ireland

• Advertisement

Hi

This one was the exact item purchased. it took 6 weeks to be delivered and is now currntly out of stock.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Z3TGFWM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

there are some polish sellers on Ebay ATM shipping to Ireland.

matban wrote: »
    Good job, there is a real skill in using these ovens, the pizzas's you will be making in 12 months will be off the charts

Its not until you incinerate a few pizzas that you really appreciate the skills needed at all stages of the process from the dough, to the stretching and so on!!

I currently suck at all of these, but getting better!!

Finally got the door put on. I made a template from the origional semi circle. Of course I broke it when trying to fit it!! Ended up just sticking the broken bits on and filling the gaps with cement.

Itll be grand, ill tidy it ip a bit more in the summer

535566.jpg

Advertisement