Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plates not correct weight

Options
  • 11-06-2020 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Ive put together a weights set from bits and pieces ordered online. So annoying as some plates i ordered weigh eg half kg less than meant, barbell weighs 17.8kg rather than 20kg etc so doing the maths is a nightmare. I do lifting with a PT once a fortnight also using different weights so hard to compare like with like. I thought id broken a record with my bench last week until weighed the bar amd realised id actually had a pretty poor session. Is this normal enough with plates, that wouldnt be accurate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

normal enough - unless you fork out for calibrated plates

I came across a pair of Strength Shop 20KG steel plates in a gym before - one was 18kg and the other was about 22kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

whippet wrote: »
    normal enough - unless you fork out for calibrated plates

I came across a pair of Strength Shop 20KG steel plates in a gym before - one was 18kg and the other was about 22kg

Thats fair enough. Its be ok if was always using the same set. Ill just suck it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Cill94

Yes most plates are off by a bit. Quite bad for the bar to be off by that much.

General advice I give to people if the weights are quite off is to round everything down to the nearest multiple of 5. So just count the bar as 15kg.

That way you'll at least end up stronger than you think, as opposed to the alternative scenario you just described with your bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

This is NOTORIOUSLY common. Unfortunately.

You could try and return them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I knew a gym that used to mark the true weight of the plates on them with tip-ex, so at least you knew that a plate was actually 22kg instead of 20kg, and so on. In my experience Strength Shop iron plates seem to be pretty notorious for this. I must weigh my kettlebells sometime, out of curiosity.

If a bar is underweight, by 2kg or so, it's annoying, but there isn't much you can do other than spend enough that you're sure you're getting a bar that's 20kg.

If you're attempting 1RMs and the accuracy really matters, pressing or something, then I would do the maths but day to day unfortunately I think you just have to accept a little inaccuracy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement