Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation - accountability PT/coach in Dublin region

Options
  • 10-06-2020 10:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

Sorry guys, I’m sure this has been posted many times, i checked the first 2 pages of threads and hadn’t seen any recent similar threads.

I’m 26, 6ft and I was 111kg a month ago. I’m down to 105Kg now. But in my best shape playing GAA, eating well and gyming 4-5 times per week I could hover around 85-90kg. Quite a jump in the last few years!

I have access to a gym once it reopens next week. And some home equipment at the moment.

Does anyone recommend someone in Dublin area who can provide accountability - making sure you weigh in weekly and meet your targets, update a strength / conditioning program for you to tip away at in your own gym every 6 weeks?

If I had to, I could see them once a week or once a fortnight but I’m not bothered about that.

I had a guy in castleknock area who saw me once a week 45mins for €30 which was very good but he didn’t offer much more than just a PT session which is grand for the price I suppose.

My diet is well cleaned up, using myfitnesspal to track calories and hit a high protein intake daily. But it’s the workout motivation / structure I’m struggling with. I’ve been doing about 12,000 steps per day which burns a lot of calories for me. But I know as I get lighter it won’t be enough on its own. I have a HIIT workout (30mins) and a generic strength program for my 2 sets of Dumbells.

Thanks in advance - please DM me if you prefer not to name names or anything

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Yeah so to sum it up, someone who will be whatsapping/emailing you or checking in to keep you on track. Optional whether attend their gym for a session in north & west Dublin / meath

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I know a lot of people who have worked with coaches from The Edge, which has a gym in Clontarf and one in Marino. I've trained a bit with James Swann, one of the owners, and I know he is big on accountability and weekly check-ins around things like diet, program adherence. I know someone else who has been coached by him for over ten years and very positive results.

I'd also recommend James Hanley (RevFit). Again, a personal recommendation.

(No personal involvement in either recommendation / business above. I'm just responding because no one else appears to and what you're asking for is pretty straightforward)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Thanks for that.

I looked at a RevFit and pondered it a few times, to be honest it’s very expensive. The reviews are amazing, and the results look great. I’m always a firm believer that an investment in your health isn’t something you should skimp on, to slate some gyms/PT prices, the same people would have no bother spending €150/200 a month on cigarettes, alcohol in the pub or other vices.

But I have to be honest I just found RevFit very dear when I made the enquiry!! Plus, with those gyms, fair enough you get close attention in semi private setting, but you can only go to the gym when classes are on - so 6:30am, 5:30pm etc. I’ve done that in the past with a Crossfit gym and the nature of my work means I don’t finish at the same time every day. So I’d be rushing to make the 5:30 class I’d booked into, then I’d miss it or turn up late and beat myself up mentally. Then it’s a long wait to the next class. I know this doesn’t bother some people but I’d rather tip away on my own. Don’t get me wrong though training in a group pushes you on.

Haven’t looked at the Edge. Will check those guys out thank you

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I hear you on the cost issue. PT / one to one type training was not for me either, for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

If you were interested in online training I'd recommend Pat Curran - thekaizenstrengthcoach (on instagram). He's from Waterford and based in Canada. I worked with him and got great results. Nothing overly complicated, he'll tell you what to eat, when to eat it, weekly check ins and a solid training plan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 sleepysue

If you are on Instagram and happy with an online PT I would recommend Diren Kartal. He is starting an 8 week program on June 29th. Daily check-ins. He will give you workouts to suit you and calorie allowance. Weekly Q & A's.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

If you are content with an online solution, there is a coach in Wexford who offers online coaching; Larry Doyle.
    For €30 a month you will get a program to suit your goals (fat loss/ maintenance/ strength etc) access to private FB group where there are weekly check ins (accountability) and all the recipe books and tips you could ask for.

Advertisement