Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wait, does everyone mount a bike from the left?

Options
  • 05-06-2020 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

I was really wondering why, if I lose my balance at slow speed, I'm more likely to recover if the bike falls to the left. Something to do with the side I get on from? Do some folks practice the other side? Maybe get on from the back like a Hollywood cowboy? Hmmm, so many questions.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Avoiding standing on the chain side?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Lyan

Same reason that they write with their right hand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd never thought about this before. i'm fairly certain i usually get on from the left side.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭cletus

Lyan wrote: »
    Same reason that they write with their right hand.

I write with my left hand

Right side for me if I stop right foot would go down or if I walk with my bike I'd push from the right side. I'm left handed.

I think the 'correct side' though is the kerb side for motor bikes and horses are traditionally from the left side too as in yee olde times you may been wearing a sword on your left hip.

EDIT: Ha good thing I don't ride CX as I be shredded shouldering the bike on my left shoulder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

If im stopping at lights and their is a kerbstone, I'll unclip my left foot.
    Otherwise I tend to dismount on the right. I'm left handed, so not sure if that's relevant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i usually dismount on the right, but the way our driveway and side gate is oriented, this makes sense as otherwise i'd be dismounting onto the low wall that separates us from next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

My wife (who returned to cycling a few years ago, having not cycled since school) was getting off her new bike on the right side, but I pointed out to her that she was then on the wrong side to kick down her stand - she's now in the habit of dismounting to the left and finds it much better.
    I know that not many on here use a kickstand, but it's one reason to have a preference.

I tend to get on/off on the left because it's the kerb side and I started off that way as a kid. I also tend to clip out to the left as a foot on the kerb is more convenient (if there is one).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

After watching YouTube clips of people falling on to traffic I took the advice and got into the habit straight away of unclipping on the left. Makes sense to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

I roll the bike forward on its own and then jump mount from the rear, landing all hands and feet simultaneously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

accensi0n wrote: »
    I roll the bike forward on its own and then jump mount from the rear, landing all hands and feet simultaneously.

Penny Farthing rider?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I never really thought about this before but more often than not I mount from the left although not always. When I do mount from the right, I still clip in with the right foot first. I always unclip the left foot first and dismount to the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Left handed, left footed. Always mount by keeping left leg standing and swinging right over and dismount left leg first.
    I find it very strange going the other way. So much that I almost have to think through the process before doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I changed a tube on a crappy MTB for a guy in my estate a couple of weeks ago, Id say he's only about 30 but when I gave it back to him he used the old man mounting technique I hadnt seen in about 20 years, he stood on the left pedal and rolled down the road a bit standing straight up with all his weight on the left crank before swinging his right leg over, I couldn't believe it tbh, it just looked so strange to see a young person do it. He's from Ennis, maybe they're a bit old fashioned down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

My brother snowboards goofy, i.e. right foot forward. i'll have to check out how he gets on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Thargor wrote: »
    I changed a tube on a crappy MTB for a guy in my estate a couple of weeks ago, Id say he's only about 30 but when I gave it back to him he used the old man mounting technique I hadnt seen in about 20 years, he stood on the left pedal and rolled down the road a bit standing straight up with all his weight on the left crank before swinging his right leg over, I couldn't believe it tbh, it just looked so strange to see a young person do it. He's from Ennis, maybe they're a bit old fashioned down there.
    My father always mounted and dismounted that way. He sometimes took ages to swing his leg over - he's be half way to work and still be standing on the left pedal.

EDIT - now that I think of it, my mother did the same. I recall her giving out to me as a child for standing astride my bike before moving off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah he was chatting away to me over his shoulder and was half way down the road before he swung over, Id say back in the day it was to avoid ripping the crotch or wear and tear on their only pair of pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think the 'correct side' though is the kerb side
    I'm going with this.

If starting on the right side of a road (one-way street, abroad, etc.), one would more likely mount from the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Always from the left. Right side hurts my brain and I’d probably fall over.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

What? Now, perhaps some might consider me an old bloke, (also "down the country") but that seems fairly normal to me. Maybe a little rotate on the pedal for extra umph. Actually, I'm trying to relearn the technique as my last bike had an untrustworthy drive train. A buddy who teaches cycling in schools tells me that's the prefered method. I must look into this more. I used to have a servant who would cup his hands for my left foot to help me into the saddle, and then give me a cup of sherry. Ah yes. Where was I?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Victor wrote: »
    I'm going with this.

If starting on the right side of a road (one-way street, abroad, etc.), one would more likely mount from the right.

Not really. I think it's more to do with right/left sidedness and a good dollop of habit. I mount/dismount in the same manner irrespective of one-way street, abroad, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

Something to do with the dominant side, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Tomorrow morning, try putting your pants on left leg first. It will become clear why you mount from the same side always.

we demand video evidence from the suggestion made in the above post. all in the name of science.
    actually, we don't. please don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Yeah he was chatting away to me over his shoulder and was half way down the road before he swung over, Id say back in the day it was to avoid ripping the crotch or wear and tear on their only pair of pants.

I'm back on the bike after a 20 year gap. Used to cycle everywhere, then life happened and cycling became a thing of the past. So 2 years ago I bought myself a new bike, put it together etc. As if on auto pilot, left foot on pedal, push, roll and leg over the saddle. Just the way I learned I suppose :)

See I said earlier I was left handed/footed and mount from the right but .... i tested there in the name of science and to scootmount (it's not a word I just made up honest) a bike like that I'd have to do it from the left. I did try from the right and my brain did a thing and said no :D

is that way of mounting a bike a learned method for people who learned to cycle on bikes with fewer gear options, maybe? that it might be easier to start pedalling once the bike is moving?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭StudentDad

is that way of mounting a bike a learned method for people who learned to cycle on bikes with fewer gear options, maybe? that it might be easier to start pedalling once the bike is moving?

I don't know about the gear thing. When I was a kid I had a five speed raleigh viking. Over the summer though I'd spend the summer with cousins and the bike options were limited. Use massive high nelly or walk :) I liked the high nelly, great yoke when you got it moving :)

bfa1509 wrote: »
    ... try putting your pants on left leg first...
    Pants? Are we back to the 1700's?

Seriously though, you are spot on. Try shaving or brushing you teeth with your left hand. It takes an awful lot more concentration. I don't think I've ever tried to get on a bike on the right side. It's just so wrong in every way. It would be like trying to drive a car with the clutch pedal on the right foot.

• Advertisement

It would be a bit messy with a fixie.

Advertisement