Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ireland an Egalitarian Society?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Derdwerker

KiKi III wrote: »
    Your parent’s income at €25k each roughly is far below the average industrial wage. It makes sense that their tax would be low and that they would be entitled to supports.

If you’re a single person earning €60k you get taxed a lot (about 30% overall) and get very little in terms of entitlements.

Everything over 75k is taxed at 52%. Anyone living in Dublin knows that 75k isn’t exactly flush.

mariaalice wrote: »
    That is predigest and petty snobbery which is a different thing.

This.

A lot of people commenting haven’t read the actual question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

nthclare wrote: »
    I'm still a bit of a rogue and can stoke the flames of boards.ie but feck it, it's better out than in.

It must be very fulfilling being an internet hardman.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,683 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Derdwerker wrote: »
    Equality and egalitarianism are different. Equality is a myth, and completely unachievable.

Egalitarianism is just as much a myth as equality - they’re both impractical ideological philosophies, both equally achievable or unachievable depending upon ones perspective of reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

No.

There are employers in Galway who look at incoming CVs, and if they see an address in certain areas, the CV goes straight in the bin

If true, the only people who would know this would be the people throwing them in the bin.

Them, and that man in the pub that time of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

No the Scandinavians are. We have high taxes but a ****ty healthcare system and poor transportation. My German friends laugh when they see the state of the LUAS, DART, buses.

The worst airport I’ve ever been in was in Berlin and it was the worst by quite a margin. An absolute hellhole. And the second airport supposedly isn’t much better. Both regularly feature in top ten worst airports lists. They have built a new airport that was sitting idle for nearly a decade because of design flaws and corruption. Maybe your German friends should wipe the smirks off their faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Sarcozies

I’d say we’re not bad at all.

Women, minorities, younger people and the working class are wildly underrepresented in politics but thankfully this is changing over time.

And blind people and deaf people and people under 4 foot and people over 7 foot and people with alopecia and people with one leg and two arms and people with two legs and one arm and people with one leg and one arm....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Sarcozies wrote: »
    And blind people and deaf people and people under 4 foot and people over 7 foot and people with alopecia and people with one leg and two arms and people with two legs and one arm and people with one leg and one arm....

Good point, I missed people with disabilities off my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

no way are we equal .
    how can we sort out discrimintion based on skin colour, race, religion, etc when we cant even do it based on gender. every family in the this country is made up of men and women , our parents, bothers/sisters, sons daughters and we are not treating both genders equally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

It must be very fulfilling being an internet hardman.

Lol very funny, if you dunk me in your raging bile duct I'll fall apart like a digestive...

Your joke went down well, but since you're thinking through your arse it's a soft attempt at sh17 spreading..

Keep me entertained pleeeraseeee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Geuze wrote: »
    My parents pay 9% direct tax on 50k combined income.

They get:

two med cards
    two FTP
    free TV licence
    35 pm off elec

as well as roads/hosps/educations, etc.

9% direct tax on 50k is very, very low compared to other countries.

We are a very generous country.

we spoil the elderly in this country but its popular so politicians go with it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The worst airport I’ve ever been in was in Berlin and it was the worst by quite a margin. An absolute hellhole. And the second airport supposedly isn’t much better. Both regularly feature in top ten worst airports lists. They have built a new airport that was sitting idle for nearly a decade because of design flaws and corruption. Maybe your German friends should wipe the smirks off their faces.

I flew into one and out of the other on a trip last year. I naively expected the one I was flying home from to be the nice one given that I arrived into a **** hole, alas it was worse.

Berlin Brandenberg would give many a sense of perspective on the children's hospital, which may overrun on costs but will be finished to the highest standards.

Equality means everybody goes up the same steps into a public building. Everyone gets treated the same. Fairness is providing a ramp for wheelchair access. Sometimes equality of outcome is what matters.

Providing a ramp is equality of opportunity. Equality of outcome would be giving the wheelchair user an engine in the wheelchair to race against Usain Bolt.

Derdwerker wrote: »
    Equality and egalitarianism are different. Equality is a myth, and completely unachievable.

It is achievable. Pol Pot and Kim Jong-un made a good stab at it. As did that fella in Venezuela. Except for themselves and their close party apparatchiks. The likes of Mary Lou, Richard Boyd Barrett and Paul Murphy would make a good stab at it here given the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

No.

There are employers in Galway who look at incoming CVs, and if they see an address in certain areas, the CV goes straight in the bin

How do you know? Would they openly admit to doing that?

eviltwin wrote: »
    How do you know? Would they openly admit to doing that?

Maybe he does it himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

No.

Are they the same employers who tell the receptionist to bin C.V.s handed in by anyone wearing tracksuit bottoms and white socks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

No the Scandinavians are. We have high taxes but a ****ty healthcare system and poor transportation. My German friends laugh when they see the state of the LUAS, DART, buses.

Have you ever paid taxes in your life? Seriously? What do you know about taxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

cgcsb wrote: »
    We are egalitarian compared to the rest of the Anglosphere (we've never really been a full fledged, badge wearing Anglosphere member anyway). Compared to the mainland we are not egalitarian having adopted a partially-British view of ownership (cars and houses) and public services, you still get incels online here declaring fatwa against those who might live in social housing, while ignoring that in cities most Europeans live in social housing.

I would say with certainty that our education system is very egalitarian.

Mainland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Edgware wrote: »
    Of course the Germans always knew how to make the most efficient use of railways for transporting large numbers of people

He’s probably never heard of World War 2...

• Advertisement

Mainland?

I think he means mainland Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

topper75 wrote: »
    If true, the only people who would know this would be the people throwing them in the bin.

Them, and that man in the pub that time of course.

And the the other employees who see it happen.

Egalitarian means "believing in or based on the principle that all people are equal and deserve equal rights and opportunities"

Advertisement