Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling stock grants

Options
  • 03-06-2020 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

I have a number of stock grants that I want to sell. They were gifted to me through our company. I'm not that clued in on how or what I would receive should I sell them.

Do I get the gross proceeds, minus tax on the earnings or just the net earnings minus tax.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It depends if they are ESPP, RSU, PSU or delayed RSU.
    1-ESPP you will have paid into, so, as you say they were granted I assume that you did not pay in
    2-RSU are restricted stock units, and generally these will be taxed before they are available for you to sell. EG if you get a grant of 100 stock units, you will likely lose ~51 before they vest.
    3-PSU are performance based stock, similar to the above but usually part of a bonus.
    4-Delayed RSU is a scheme where the RSU are held in a grant for 3 years and are tax free.

In 1-3 above you will be given the shares on vest date and they are already after tax, so what you do at that point is up to you
    4 above no tax is due.

Advertisement