Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Selling stock grants

• 03-06-2020 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭ D3V!L

I have a number of stock grants that I want to sell. They were gifted to me through our company. I'm not that clued in on how or what I would receive should I sell them.

Do I get the gross proceeds, minus tax on the earnings or just the net earnings minus tax.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,941 ✭✭✭✭ ELM327

It depends if they are ESPP, RSU, PSU or delayed RSU.
    1-ESPP you will have paid into, so, as you say they were granted I assume that you did not pay in
    2-RSU are restricted stock units, and generally these will be taxed before they are available for you to sell. EG if you get a grant of 100 stock units, you will likely lose ~51 before they vest.
    3-PSU are performance based stock, similar to the above but usually part of a bonus.
    4-Delayed RSU is a scheme where the RSU are held in a grant for 3 years and are tax free.

In 1-3 above you will be given the shares on vest date and they are already after tax, so what you do at that point is up to you
    4 above no tax is due.

Advertisement