Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Candy Cab Disassembly/Transport

Options
  • 02-06-2020 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Am hoping to take the plunge and pick up my first cabinet in the next few months.

I’d love a Sega Aero City but my concern is getting it up the stairs to where I want to keep it.

Am sure some of you guys have this cab so am wondering if you could let me know what it’s like to take apart and transport. Could one person do it alone or would it have to be a team effort?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Am hoping to take the plunge and pick up my first cabinet in the next few months.

I’d love a Sega Aero City but my concern is getting it up the stairs to where I want to keep it.

Am sure some of you guys have this cab so am wondering if you could let me know what it’s like to take apart and transport. Could one person do it alone or would it have to be a team effort?

Main problem with an astro is the control panel is molded to the front of the cabinet, so you've to remove a big panel at the front.

If you took that panel off with the cp and take out the monitor you should be grand

Monitor is a two man job if you want to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭geotrig

CP area can come off in an aero , I'd suggest it's a two man jobif going up stairs easily,2nd heaviest candy cab I've ever moved, made worse as it doesn't have front wheels... (I'm fairly sure it has back wheels)

Master of the Universe

geotrig wrote: »
    CP area can come off in an aero , I'd suggest it's a two man jobif going up stairs easily,2nd heaviest candy cab I've ever moved, made worse as it doesn't have front wheels... (I'm fairly sure it has back wheels)

Ah I read it as astro and not aero! Apologies OP!

Jaysus the aero Is another beast altogether, I could barely get that in the front door :eek:

Edit - just to note that's a weight issue, it's slim enough to fit though door frames.

Don't look at the black monitor surround bezel too long either, brittlest substance known to man :lol:

Master of the Universe

geotrig wrote: »
    Don't look at the black monitor surround bezel too long either, brittlest substance known to man :lol:

Yeah it absolutely amazed me that the one on mine wasn't broken at all. The stuff would shatter if you said a bad word to it.

I wonder did the plastic brittle with age or was it always like that?

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yeah it absolutely amazed me that the one on mine wasn't broken at all. The stuff would shatter if you said a bad word to it.

I wonder did the plastic brittle with age or was it always like that?

as far as i know and can remember back to it was always a complaint from everyone , there was at one point in a few decent drop in replacements that were sturdier but they disappeared about 15 years ago , I know some people replaced them with these :(

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Ah thanks for all the replies guys... seems like it would be a right pain for me to get it up to the room :-(

I love the look of the Aero City (and the SNK Candy 18) so it's a pity.

Would the Astro City be a handier option to take apart and move?

If you are anyway handy they will all come apart too small peices !
    Are you going to buy from rnlok etc?
    No harm stripping them down and cleaning them but if your first cab it might be a bit intimidating .
    The monitor will be filty

If you are anyway handy they will all come apart too small peices !
    Are you going to buy from rnlok etc?
    No harm stripping them down and cleaning them but if your first cab it might be a bit intimidating .
    The monitor will be filty

It would be my first cab but I am not handy at all... I am happy to learn though as it's a hobby I'm really keen to get into.

What would be a good entry point? I'd really like a candy of some sort.

if you have 3-4 people it would be moveable up stair there are two holders at the back and 2 grips at the side ,2 people could grab under the front and it would be moveable ,the cp is bolted on and can come off ,the monitor surround (metal part i have never really taken notice if its metal or not ! lol )comes off as well as the speaker parts on top , Im fairly sure the rest is welded together so is a square lump per se
    below gives you an idea on how far it can be disassembled hwich would be similar to many , astros can be split in 2 and net city/ naomi's are like lego
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4toHaR18gI
    https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?t=34443

• Advertisement

just get one into the house ,dont wory about getting it up any stairs yet !

Master of the Universe

The Aero is actually a better one for getting into the house due to the dimensions, it's an older machine and is a bit thinner as it has a 25 inch monitor.

My one was able to go through a standard house door frame without removing anything at all.

When you start getting to more modern ones like Astros, atomiswaves and things with 29 inch monitors, they're fat bastards and you need to take them apart. (usually removing the control panel works)

The flip side to the above is that the Aero is all metal, so although it's a bit smaller, it's really heavy. at 110kg.

The more modern 29 inch monitor machines are plastic, so are a bit lighter. Sega Astro is 93kg.

Have you seen any of the smaller candy cabs? (you mentioned liking a candy 18?)

I've an SNK Candy 25 and it's only 90kg. Much smaller footprint than an Aero and it has the same size monitor (and it's also full metal)

o1s1n wrote: »
    The Aero is actually a better one for getting into the house due to the dimensions, it's an older machine and is a bit thinner as it has a 25 inch monitor.

My one was able to go through a standard house door frame without removing anything at all.

When you start getting to more modern ones like Astros, atomiswaves and things with 29 inch monitors, they're fat bastards and you need to take them apart. (usually removing the control panel works)

The flip side to the above is that the Aero is all metal, so although it's a bit smaller, it's really heavy. at 110kg.

The more modern 29 inch monitor machines are plastic, so are a bit lighter. Sega Astro is 93kg.

Have you seen any of the smaller candy cabs? (you mentioned liking a candy 18?)

I've an SNK Candy 25 and it's only 90kg. Much smaller footprint than an Aero and it has the same size monitor (and it's also full metal)

Thanks for the info.

Yeah I love the SNK cabs but I would imagine they are fairly hard to come by? I get the Rklok notifications and they seem to get a fair few Aero and Astro Cities in.

Master of the Universe

Aeros and Astros come up most regularly alright, but Ronnie does goes through phases of finding SNK cabs.

Best to get in touch with him directly rather than waiting for the emails. He can actually stick you on a list. I've always bought mine by just getting in touch with him and seeing what he has due in.

Just to give you a bit of a size comparison, here's my Aero along with my other two before I sold it.

Aero's CRT is 26 inches, other two are 25. Rather amazing the size difference though. An Astro is bigger than the Aero again.

The Pony and the SNK25 both have flat backs too so you can roll them up against the wall. The Aero has this weird back which juts out, you can see how much further this makes the control panel and base come out.

cabinets.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Take a ton of pictures of everything if your disassembling. It's daunting but not too bad once you get going.

Have to take my cyber lead apart in a few weeks for some paint and a good cleaning

Oh wow, never realised there was such a size difference!

Will definitely email him directly. Thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Just measured my front door and side passage and there's no way a cab is getting through the house to my man cave without some effort.

And this is after I convinced the wife that now's the time to buy one!

Master of the Universe

What are your dimensions?

I have an L shaped bend in a corridor before getting to my front door (which makes the likes of couches a nightmare), door frames are 74cm - both cabs breezed in.

It's more about trying to find a bit of a smaller machine than one of the larger 29 inch ones.

My front door will open fully and give me plenty of room for an Astrocity at 79cm.

Likewise my back door and shed door all good.

The internal door is 73cm though so that's a problem, but I think I could coerce a 29" through.

I think I'll drop this guy in the Netherlands an email and put myself on a list before I talk myself out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

before I talk myself out of it!

Definitely do it before that happens. It'll only be a matter of part-disassembly to get it through, and then you're laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

or consider getting yourself an electrocoin xenon wooden cab. :D

take the monitor out, slide out the control panel then finally take out the bolts holding the top half and bottom together to separate the cab in two. Easy to bring upstairs by yourself this way.

It’s got to be a candy cab for me. I’ve emailed Ronnie about an Aero City. That’ll fit into my house no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Taking the doors off the hinges really helped me when I had to get cabs into the house.

Got a blast city into my house with not much bother apart from that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I got a 2 player driving cab through my house.
    Only advice I'd give is to get a ramp of some kind because you're not going to lift it up the steps!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I had issues with my Astro City,

Got it in the front door but would not fit through the internal doors.

So brought it around the back to the sliding doors for kitchen and it wouldn't fit through, had to take the sliding door off.

I could take one apart now in minutes though :) Its all a learning curve.

There is a buy thread on Aeros on UKVAC at the moment too.
    http://www.ukvac.com/forum/topic377509&OB=ASC.html

£1350 Fully Restored
    £850 as-is untouched, working, ~60% condition

Master of the Universe

Seems a little pricey to me although I haven't really been following arcade machine prices for a while.

My Aero was €1000 all in from Ronnie, including postage (The cab itself was 750 if I remember correctly) - but that was 5-6 years ago.

Would definitely be worth shooting him an email. He's open to haggling too.

As mentioned up thread, I emailed Ronnie about an Aero City and I now have one on the way. A bit more than €1000 delivered but given the condition I’m very happy.

A JPac arrived today, step down on the way and Puzzle Bobble too.

Was trying to get Ghouls and Ghosts but even bootlegs seems pricey, and it turns out MiSTer supports that game so yay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

As mentioned up thread, I emailed Ronnie about an Aero City and I now have one on the way. A bit more than €1000 delivered but given the condition I’m very happy.

Was trying to get Ghouls and Ghosts but even bootlegs seems pricey, and it turns out MiSTer supports that game so yay.

Yep I've seen Owlnonymous playing Ghouls N Ghosts on Twitch on his Mister, looks great.
    Good work, look forward to a nice "get it into the house and clean up thread" :)

Master of the Universe

Fantastic news! Always love to hear of another candy making its way here.

Loads of photos when it arrives :D

• Advertisement

Cheers guys, will definitely post pics. Might arrive tomorrow, but my current 100W stepdown won’t cut it and the replacement is enroute.

Advertisement