Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weed killer to kill grass and weeds ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Lumen wrote: »
    Whatever it says on the label.
    The instructions on Roundup are in a very complicated table that is aimed at agricultural users as it is in quantities of litres per acre.
    I have come to the conclusion that 250ml per litre is about right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

The instructions on Roundup are in a very complicated table that is aimed at agricultural users as it is in quantities of litres per acre.

LOL why bother with the water at all?

1 part roundup to 4 parts water you must be mad.

50ml in a liter 1 to 20 would be the highest recommended even for tough weeds https://d2j31icv6dlhz6.cloudfront.net/O/tHjlLI7bPi.pdf

If all you are killing is grass than 10ml will do the job but 15ml is recommended.

For normal use 25ml in a liter will kill most perennial weeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭blackbox

About 10 times too strong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

That's a serious concentration alright! :eek:

I go for 15ml per litre to clear weeds on my gravel driveway and it's never failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

GinSoaked wrote: »
    LOL why bother with the water at all?

1 part roundup to 4 parts water you must be mad.

50ml in a liter 1 to 20 would be the highest recommended even for tough weeds https://d2j31icv6dlhz6.cloudfront.net/O/tHjlLI7bPi.pdf

If all you are killing is grass than 10ml will do the job but 15ml is recommended.

For normal use 25ml in a liter will kill most perennial weeds.
    Oops! Senior moment!

I use a small plastic container to measure it. Just disremembered how much it holds as I haven't seen it for a while :)
    (perennial weeds, thistles ash and elder seedlings and anything that comes up in the gravel and around hedge bases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

this is the same roundup that an agricultural worker was awarded 100million for being poisoned steadily with until he was riddled with cancer - later reduced award but still millions awarded by the courts because of the proven cancer link. Same stuff that there was a massive push to declare illegal across the EU because of its cancer causer properties & a massive court challenge by the agri industry giants because it would decimate their profits.

No wonder with that in our watertable and soil so many are riddled with health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

con747 wrote: »
    Buy Gallup 360 in a local agri store or similar it is only about €28-€35 for 5 litres of concentrate that will kill what you need it to, from grass to brambles. I bought a load last year in my local agri store for €27, you need to provide your name and address when buying it. Roundup is a rip off.

I tried my local glambia store for Gallup yesterday & they wanted a herd number. Do you know anywhere on line I can buy it? I've been googling it but I haven't found any without looking for herd no?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

jopax wrote: »
    I tried my local glambia store for Gallup yesterday & they wanted a herd number. Do you know anywhere on line I can buy it? I've been googling it but I haven't found any without looking for herd no?

As far as I'm aware anyone can buy roundup or Gallup without providing anything. You need a special certificate to actually use it that requires some special training course. The idea is that it is used correctly. So I'm not sure why these ask you for a herd number?

2nd weed suppressant, these products well kill all it touches and is inert when hits ground so if you are facing annual weed infestations it's due to inert seeds or new seeds sprouting. A gardener once told me if you have garden you will have weeds, one cannot exist without the other

Blowheads wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware anyone can buy roundup or Gallup without providing anything. You need a special certificate to actually use it that requires some special training course. The idea is that it is used correctly. So I'm not sure why these ask you for a herd number?

2nd weed suppressant, these products well kill all it touches and is inert when hits ground so if you are facing annual weed infestations it's due to inert seeds or new seeds sprouting. A gardener once told me if you have garden you will have weeds, one cannot exist without the other

Sorry I don't understand what you mean by 2nd weed suppressant?
    The area which I want to get rid of is weeds on a gravel driveway, they are ridiculously bad, it's a holy show.
    Im actually not too bothered with weeds in the grass as once it's cut it doesn't stand out.
    Is there anything else you could recommend, I've looked up remedies with vinegar but I don't know if it will be of any benefit. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭con747

A poster back up the page bought some in the North with delivery so maybe pm them. My local agri store just takes name and address to purchase it.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,057 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Is there anything else you could recommend, I've looked up remedies with vinegar but I don't know if it will be of any benefit. Thanks

Did you try the salting approach I recommended earlier? lots of videos on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

The area which I want to get rid of is weeds on a gravel driveway, they are ridiculously bad, it's a holy show.
    Im actually not too bothered with weeds in the grass as once it's cut it doesn't stand out.

I means 2nd point. I don't know any non herbicide ways, I would just go to the co-op and buy roundup or similar and put it in strong. And remember this will be a regular job now that weeds and seeds settled

Had a quick look on Ebay and it appears to be available via the north so have a try at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Pull the weeds by hand. Only way to get rid if them properly. A dead weed will still leave material behind.
    Pull by hand, then spray a path weedkiller to reduce recurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

It's 1:40 or 500ml in a 20l knapsack.
    400ml in 16l and so on. This is the reason the want users to do the course on pesticides. It avoids confusion on the concentrations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

con747 wrote: »
    Buy Gallup 360 in a local agri store or similar it is only about €28-€35 for 5 litres of concentrate that will kill what you need it to, from grass to brambles. I bought a load last year in my local agri store for €27, you need to provide your name and address when buying it. Roundup is a rip off.

Only discovered Gallup recently and having very good results with it, even on brambles.You're right, Roundup is a rip off, you're paying for the name, it's probably one of only a very few weedkiller known by name and some can't see beyond it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I usually go for Gallup, Op you realize new weeds will grow and spread after you kill or pull all the old ones?
    One spray wont last a lifetime.. or a year even.

First 5L of Gallup was €36, second months later was €37.. went in last week and they had no 5L but a 1L was €28 :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

garv123 wrote: »
    I usually go for Gallup, Op you realize new weeds will grow and spread after you kill or pull all the old ones?
    One spray wont last a lifetime.. or a year even.

First 5L of Gallup was €36, second months later was €37.. went in last week and they had no 5L but a 1L was €28 :confused::confused:

Amateurs can buy it but only a max of 1L. Its been that way for years but only recently has anyone started to bother about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Squiggle

https://www.thedandys.ie/search/gallup/1

Ordered on a Monday, delivered to my door on the Wednesday, €30.99 all in.

200ml to 15l of water will kill all your typical garden weeds/grass.

Squiggle wrote: »

Be careful using it, use rubber gloves, mask, and watch out if even a slight breeze it will carry it a few feet or more and kill anything you get it on. This is the recommended mix.
    In 10 litres of water apply Gallup 360 at the following rates:
    160 ml General use
    200 ml Annual and perennial weeds
    240 ml Perennial and broad-leaved weeds present
    Areas of use
    • Around farm buildings
    • On industrial sites
    • Pavements
    • Site preparation for landscaping, etc
    Mixing
    1.Pour the recommended quantity of Barclay Gallup 360 into
    the spray tank already half-filled with water
    2.Top up the spray tank with water to the required level
    3.Agitate thoroughly to mix the spray solution
    4.Spray out on the day of mixing
    Optimum time to spray
    • Apply at any time of the year when weeds are showing
    green leaf and actively growing. Barclay Gallup is absorbed
    through the leaves and is translocated through the weed
    down to the roots
    • A period of at least six hours and preferably 24 hours free of
    rain must follow application
    • Do not spray during frosty weather or under windy
    conditions likely to result in spray drift onto other crops,
    lawns, amenity plants or any desirable species

• Advertisement

Squiggle wrote: »

Thanks very much for link, just ordered it myself

Advertisement