Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Family car advice

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

chabsey wrote: »
    Pity, would be a great one for efficiency. I think it has to be an MPV and within that it'll most likely be a C4 grand picasso (unless a 5008 drops hugely in price).

I bought a Outlander PHEV and I have a multimac in it. 90% of the timne it is running on battery and then petrol kicks in if I need it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Pity, would be a great one for efficiency. I think it has to be an MPV and within that it'll most likely be a C4 grand picasso (unless a 5008 drops hugely in price).

Would you not look at the older 5008 model? You might get a 2017? 4 of my friends have them and are very happy with them. They have loads of extras on them compared to my touran.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201911274807824?postcode=cv92pz&advertising-location=at_cars&make=BMW&fuel-type=Hybrid%20%E2%80%93%20Petrol%2FElectric%20Plug-in&radius=1500&year-from=2018&sort=relevance&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&model=2%20SERIES%20ACTIVE%20TOURER&page=1

Its an "mpv" but small,

I also have an outlander, newborn, mammy in the middle and 6 year old in a booster, 8 year old in the front.

A plug in is economical, if your doing a lot of short trips,

Maybe it would be better to buy seats to fit a car than buying a car to fit seats,

Congratulations and best of luck.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'd just make sure you test drive the C4 Picasso - I had one as a hire car for a fortnight and found the automatic quite slow to respond. As regards seats, you'll definitely fit them in - my other sister in law has one and is expecting baby #5 - they've no issues fitting 3 full size car seats in the middle row.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

In terms of fitting 3 car seats, there are lots of cars you can fit 3 car seats into, they just have to be the right car seats. There’s a Facebook page (link below) that has tons of pictures of three across in a lot of cars.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/456353881062172/?ref=share

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Skoda Superb would be my choice.
    What mileage are you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gemancy

We have a 4 year old, 3 year old and 1.5 year old. We got a Toyota Estima just before the baby was born. 7 seater, hybrid, automatic. Originally we were going to UK for it but in the end purchased in Dublin. It’s a bit ugly on the outside but omg it’s fantastic! I can walk around the back of it, change clothes, change nappies, sit toddler on potty and fit the kitchen sink in if I wanted to. Windows are heavily tinted so nobody can see in the back. There are 2 seats behind the driver’s and front passenger seat and these fully recline with foot rests! The back row has one seat and and a 2 seater. These can be folded flat to the floor. The middle row is isofix. They come in 8 seater but these are 2 bench seats so 7 seater was preferable to us. Jap import btw. Fellow parents always coming up to me to ask about it.

Best of luck with whatever you go with. Would highly recommend this car!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Skoda should pay you a commission.

Belfast wrote: »
    Skoda Superb would be my choice.
    What mileage are you doing?

That's a surprise, have you ever recommended any other car? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    That's a surprise, have you ever recommended any other car? :P

To be fair he’s only after recommending a Skoda Octavia in another thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭chabsey

Thanks for all the input. It was a close call between the Peugeot 5008 and the C4 Grand Picasso. Preferred the look of the 5008 but the petrol economy while good, wasn't close to what I was used to and it probably would have annoyed me every time I filled up. Decided on the C4 Grand Picasso diesel which will do for a few years anyway. ~50 mpg so hopefully should get about 600 miles from a tank - if it turns out to be a reliable car as well then it ticks most of the boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭chabsey

Toots wrote: »
    I'd just make sure you test drive the C4 Picasso - I had one as a hire car for a fortnight and found the automatic quite slow to respond. As regards seats, you'll definitely fit them in - my other sister in law has one and is expecting baby #5 - they've no issues fitting 3 full size car seats in the middle row.

Haven't totally committed to it yet (pending test drive etc) so I'll keep this in mind and try to give it a good run on the test drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

The kids are 6 and will be two new borns (in a month or so).

Regarding the Sharan the sliding doors do appeal and sound great (same on the Alhambra I believe) but the look of those cars do nothing for me.

The grim reality of parenting is that very little will be your choice in the years to come. Anything that makes life a little better and easier lessens the pain a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I drove a brand new rental C4 picasso 3 years ago and I was genuinely shocked at the delay in the auto transmission and the terribly poor acceleration.
    I found it very disconcerting when changing lanes on the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭chancer007

looking at the S-MAX myself with 3 small children. Anyone other car suggestions for 3 child seats in the back?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

chancer007 wrote: »
    looking at the S-MAX myself with 3 small children. Anyone other car suggestions for 3 child seats in the back?

What’s your budget?

12-15k

12-15k

SMAX is the best if you can find a good one. Usually that means going to UK or getting a UK import company to bring them in

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    SMAX is the best if you can find a good one. Usually that means going to UK or getting a UK import company to bring them in

thanks,only started looking recently & hope to purchase next 2/3 months. I see some zetec/titamium & some basic models..when I buy I wont be changing it for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

thanks,only started looking recently & hope to purchase next 2/3 months. I see some zetec/titamium & some basic models..when I buy I wont be changing it for a while!

Get a high spec 2.0 I auto if you can.

• Advertisement

Dont bother with the Zetec IMO. Start with Titanium, you will need the extras

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Get a high spec 2.0 I auto if you can.

Thats what I got, it was lovely! should have kept it

Advertisement