Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Incendiary Tracers Rounds will these ever be legal here.

Options
  • 31-05-2020 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5O35YHMWeU
    Rounds like this do you think you will ever be able to get your hands on them always wanted to use tracers to see where my shots are going sometimes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Afaik tracers are put down as tracers in legislation so these would not be a workaround, however theyre classed as restricted? not prohibited ammo so i thought they were technically legal on a restricted firearms cert but like you can automatically shoot slugs from a restricted shotgun?:pac:
    I may be wrong and am open to correction:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Altough thier web site shows pictures of long arms and rifle ammo, thier drop down tab only lists pistol ammo calibres.
    I'd couldn't find anything on effective range and would suspect that these would only be good for average pistol ranges as the luminescence would fade at distance.

It was possible to buy .22LR tracer rounds here back in the 1980's, they were a bit of skit but were AFAIK phosphorus or similar. They worked ok if the conditions were right but they were high velocity and hard to see, at range, more or less shooting into the side of a mountain you could see the path but other wise not worth a dam.

Here's some interesting things about tradtional tracers that I didn't know and some devlopments they are looking at over the last few years.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.army.mil/article-amp/130675/engineers_developing_safer_more_accurate_tracer_round.

Accuracy never came into the equation with us, the use of ball tracer was only ever intended to direct or observe fall of shot. Unlike the movies would have you belive, 'effective fire' is when you are preventing the other guy from doing what he wants and the out come is not nessecerly a lethal one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I wonder would some manner of system like that used for Airsoft tracers be a possibility for low velocity rounds at least??

High output UV light in a moderator style shroud that activates UV paint as it passes through.

Something similar to this? I know fps is a factor as is application of luminance, but these are common in US games where FPS limits don't apply and would be similar to .22lr.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cadpat_cowboy

banie01 wrote: »
    I wonder would some manner of system like that used for Airsoft tracers be a possibility for low velocity rounds at least??

High output UV light in a moderator style shroud that activates UV paint as it passes through.

Something similar to this? I know fps is a factor as is application of luminance, but these are common in US games where FPS limits don't apply and would be similar to .22lr.

There is also tracer mags for airsoft where the light source is contained in the mag instead of a mock silencer which might be better for real steal as it wouldn't need to take pressure of the muzzle blast.

Neither of those ideas would unfortunalty lads work theres quite a difference between an airsoft gun and even the most anemic .22 you could get your hands on what CCI quiet runs 700 feet per second?
    your average .22 is running 1050fps stingers run 1640fps
    Aka alot faster with alot heavier of a projectile than a airsoft gun
    The magazine idea wouldnt work .... muzzle blast? the main bearing areas for pressure are the bolt and chamber right in front of where the magazine is lads you cant fit a light source in there even the lowly 22 has a spec of 13,000 psi if i remember correctly

But on second look the light source does actually work in a way, weve all seen a 22 lob in to a target on a bright day or while out lamping maybe if the back of the bullet had a flouresent paint it could help make it more visible

The best way to make a tracer is the old fahioned way with phospherous unfortunatly :pac:

OP , Tracers are indeed a good training tool you will learn bullets do not always go straight and stop... theyre like rubber balls downrange if you hit a hard surface ;)

• Advertisement

This is a video that will remind us all about the safety precaustions we all take everytime we fire a round in the field and why were so maticulous about proper backstops
    Pay close attention to each round he fires and how easily they can richochet off into the distance

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jb88

A wise man once advised not to fire tracer from the barrel of any gun you like.

As it does damage to the barrel, most likely lined military barrels are like twigs on a tree and easily replaced. not so easy with a $1k barrel

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Afaik tracers are put down as tracers in legislation so these would not be a workaround, however theyre classed as restricted? not prohibited ammo so i thought they were technically legal on a restricted firearms cert but like you can automatically shoot slugs from a restricted shotgun?:pac:
    I may be wrong and am open to correction:)

The restricted order says "incendiary projectiles" not tracers.
    So they aren't restricted by those laws.

Advertisement