Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving abroad in late 30’s

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Go to Prague.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

the_syco wrote: »
    Continental Europe; would advise you learn the language before you go

Not necessarily, it depends on the country and the specifics of the job. It is also a lot easier to learn the language when you are there and are able to practice it on the streets.

It's perfectly legal to move to/live in another EU member state and (keep) work(ing) for a company based in another member state. The fine detail relates to which country you choose as your primary residence. For a single person with no need to claim benefits, it's easy enough to arrange your affairs in such a way as to *not* have any rights or responsibilities in the foreign country.

On the other hand, that creates an instability which will almost inevitably leave you outside the social circles that are so important to understanding whether or not that place is right for you. Back to the risk of suffering the "ex-pat" never-settle syndrome alluded to earlier.

Most important of all, though, is to float the idea and seek advice before leaving - which you've done. ;)
    redcup342 wrote: »
    https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/individuals/personal-taxation/crossborder-workers_en#:~:text=Under%20the%20EC%20Treaty%2C%20individuals,State%20but%20live%20in%20another.

Taxation wise you still have to declare where you live but (generally speaking) you pay your income taxes where you work and theres a Tax Treaty between the two states to avoid double taxation.

I did it for 8 years between NL and DE

There are some sticky areas for sure but there's an EU Agency you can use to sort out any issues:
    https://ec.europa.eu/solvit/index_en.htm

Thanks for the comments, but unfortunately it does not change anything....

What you can get away with when nobody is checking and what you can do when you have to face officialdom is two different things.

The problem is the requirement to register at the local community office... And the principle bread winner working remotely for a company that does not have offices within the state does not tick any boxes as a justifiable reason for being allowed to register as a resident. And as far as I can see from the legislation they are correct.

It seems every other possibility is covered but this one. You can even switch from being an employee working on site to a remote worker, working for an employer with no office in the state, you just can't do it immediately on arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Jim2007 wrote: »
    You can even switch from being an employee working on site to a remote worker, working for an employer with no office in the state, you just can't do it immediately on arrival.

But that's the OP's situation - his current employer is OK with him working remotely, and if he can maintain a primary residence in [Ireland?] he can legitimately spend 182 nights in any EU country without having to register anything anywhere, at least until he's tested the waters and made a decision to move permanently.

Even so, as far as the EU is concerned, the right to residence is conditional only on you not being a burden on the host state. If you've got regular income from any employer - based in the state or not - then you tick the box. I can't quite figure out your interpretation of the rules. Are you extrapolating Swiss rules to the EU?

Where I'm working currently - in Alsace - about 15% of my colleagues and non-work acquaintances are themselves, or have at least one family member, working in another EU state and/or Switzerland for employers with no address of any kind in their home country.

The problem is the requirement to register at the local community office... And the principle bread winner working remotely for a company that does not have offices within the state does not tick any boxes as a justifiable reason for being allowed to register as a resident. And as far as I can see from the legislation they are correct.

On this point, in the EU it is the host state's responsibility to show that the EU citizen does not conform to local registration demands, not the citizen's duty to prove that they do.

From the EU's website:
    Sample story
    You can start work without waiting to register
    Kurt is a German who moved to Belgium to work as an independent lawyer in a partnership. When he went to register at the town hall, he was told he couldn't start working until he'd received a registration certificate.

This is incorrect: as an EU national, Kurt may work as a self-employed person without waiting for a registration certificate. In any case, the authorities must issue a registration certificate immediately when asked.
    There are numerous variations on this theme. In my profession, as previously indicated, I am required to give notice of my intention to provide professional services in the other member state, but the local authorities are required to accept my declaration unless they can show good reason why I shouldn't work there. And if they don't raise any objections (or reply) within three months, then I'm in the clear regardless of whether or not I ever got official approval. There are often other reasons for wanting that approval, e.g. a registration number for insurance purposes, etc - but if the host state has dragged its feet for no good reason, then I can sue them and win. :pac:

For non-regulated professions, there are no obstacles to cross-border working:
    If you work in a different EU country from the one where you live and you return to your country of residence daily, or at least once a week, you are a cross-border worker (so-called "frontier worker"). The country where you work is responsible for your social security benefits. Special rules apply to healthcare and unemployment. Find out more under our frequently asked questions.

If you don't pursue a substantial part of your activity in your country of residence, you will be covered by the legislation of the country where the registered office or place of business of your employer is situated.

• Advertisement

On this point, in the EU it is the host state's responsibility to show that the EU citizen does not conform to local registration demands, not the citizen's duty to prove that they do.

From the EU's website:

There are numerous variations on this theme. In my profession, as previously indicated, I am required to give notice of my intention to provide professional services in the other member state, but the local authorities are required to accept my declaration unless they can show good reason why I shouldn't work there. And if they don't raise any objections (or reply) within three months, then I'm in the clear regardless of whether or not I ever got official approval. There are often other reasons for wanting that approval, e.g. a registration number for insurance purposes, etc - but if the host state has dragged its feet for no good reason, then I can sue them and win. :pac:

For non-regulated professions, there are no obstacles to cross-border working:

I'm very familiar with all of that because I used to be involved in taking on people back in the day. And it does not apply, that is the problem.

- You are not self employed
    - You are no providing services to entities in another country
    - You are not an employee of a company within the state
    - You are not employed by a company having a branch in the state
    - You are there as a result of a family reunification
    - You are not retired
    - You are not someone who first registered as one the above and then switched.

I have a friend who would very much like to come here for 6 six months, but it seems a no go in his situation. A very helpful lady at the community office with through every possibility with me and has now send a question to the federal authorities... but I'm doubtful that it will happen at this stage.

I have a friend who would very much like to come here for 6 six months, but it seems a no go in his situation.

But does "here" in this context refer to Switzerland or the EU? And if the latter, is the person concerned an EU citizen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I'd love to move to somewhere in the E.U. probably Spain but I don't have a one of those sweet deal careers where I can travel with job security IT etc., I work in an office in a good company generally speaking and if I left the U.K I'd be abandoning that job security.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I'd love to move to somewhere in the E.U. probably Spain but I don't have a one of those sweet deal careers where I can travel with job security IT etc., I work in an office in a good company generally speaking and if I left the U.K I'd be abandoning that job security.

If job security is the meaning of life for you then there is nothing for it but stay put. Do you enjoy the job you do? Will it still be enough in say 10 years time? Only you can answer that.

What I can say is that they do have office jobs all over the EU and in many cases the work life balance will be better than you have now, it’s up to you if you want to give it a try.

Do you speak Spanish or another EU language?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

I'd be slow to come to Spain. The pay is crap and the hours are long. A stupid 3 hour lunch during the day, in the heat of the summer, I get it, but in the winter, no....

But it has a lot in common with Ireland, a great ability to mismanage things at government level. Other than that it's grand :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

OP do it. Pick a country plan it out and go..you don't need to know everything before you go as if you think you do you will be forever sitting in Ireland dreaming about it .

Advertisement