Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Dart on the Northside

2»

Comments

  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 66,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011


    Sligo eye wrote: »
    I presume you don’t work in the railway industry?

    Not anymore, but I did. Do you?

    You are battering some bits and pieces from railway magazines together there that are filled with errors, so I sure as hell hope you don't.

    Drivers are being retained in London due to the RMT (and in the case of Thameslink, as the trains interact with non-driverless trains extensively). Most modern systems do NOT have any drivers/support staff on board. Metrolink won't.

    The DLR has only ever crashed when a human thought it was a good idea to take over - they'd be better off without

    The costs of implement driverless from day 1 are a: not that considerable (and cannot be compared to retrofits) and b: once-off costs, not lifetime costs like salaries, benefits and pensions.



    This is all completely pointless anyway - Metro is going to be 1435mm and driverless. Those elements of the plan will NOT be changed.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Sligo eye


    L1011 wrote: »
    Not anymore, but I did. Do you?

    You are battering some bits and pieces from railway magazines together there that are filled with errors, so I sure as hell hope you don't.

    Drivers are being retained in London due to the RMT (and in the case of Thameslink, as the trains interact with non-driverless trains extensively). Most modern systems do NOT have any drivers/support staff on board. Metrolink won't.

    The DLR has only ever crashed when a human thought it was a good idea to take over - they'd be better off without

    The costs of implement driverless from day 1 are a: not that considerable (and cannot be compared to retrofits) and b: once-off costs, not lifetime costs like salaries, benefits and pensions.



    This is all completely pointless anyway - Metro is going to be 1435mm and driverless. Those elements of the plan will NOT be changed.

    I’m just an “interested bystander”. I still don’t understand why the aggression but hey ho.


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 66,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011


    Sligo eye wrote: »
    I’m just an “interested bystander”. I still don’t understand why the aggression but hey ho.

    Because we have countless people on here and elsewhere (such as the leader of the Green Party) who appear to think its a good idea to throw spanners in the works of projects that are well underway, with ill thought out ideas.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston


    L1011 wrote: »
    Not anymore, but I did. Do you?

    You are battering some bits and pieces from railway magazines together there that are filled with errors, so I sure as hell hope you don't.

    Drivers are being retained in London due to the RMT (and in the case of Thameslink, as the trains interact with non-driverless trains extensively). Most modern systems do NOT have any drivers/support staff on board. Metrolink won't.

    The DLR has only ever crashed when a human thought it was a good idea to take over - they'd be better off without

    The costs of implement driverless from day 1 are a: not that considerable (and cannot be compared to retrofits) and b: once-off costs, not lifetime costs like salaries, benefits and pensions.



    This is all completely pointless anyway - Metro is going to be 1435mm and driverless. Those elements of the plan will NOT be changed.

    In fairness, we don’t have a confirmation of the definite nature of driverless for Metrolink yet, do we?


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 66,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011


    MJohnston wrote: »
    In fairness, we don’t have a confirmation of the definite nature of driverless for Metrolink yet, do we?

    GoA4, platform barriers, no onboard staff have all come up in various presentations made. There is better info in the presentations given to various groups than on the website.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston


    L1011 wrote: »
    GoA4, platform barriers, no onboard staff have all come up in various presentations made. There is better info in the presentations given to various groups than on the website.

    Yes, but I'm talking about the fact that we don't have a finalised decision on that, just an upper bar for where they want the project to aim.


  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox


    MJohnston wrote: »
    Yes, but I'm talking about the fact that we don't have a finalised decision on that, just an upper bar for where they want the project to aim.

    In fairness, we don't actually have a final decision on anything yet.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston


    CatInABox wrote: »
    In fairness, we don't actually have a final decision on anything yet.

    Well exactly, though there wasn’t any question in the plans of track gauge.


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 66,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011


    MJohnston wrote: »
    Yes, but I'm talking about the fact that we don't have a finalised decision on that, just an upper bar for where they want the project to aim.

    Realistically, we know they aren't going to backslide on any of those, particularly as the C/BA is going to be on that cost base.


    I've belatedly remembered the claim upthread that it should be changed to DART to connect the airport to the heavy rail network. Because having the airport connected at a junction pointing the wrong way away from the capital city, 20km away from the capital city is what you want, of course...

    Metro will connect the airport to the heavy rail network at a new critical multi-line interchange at Glasnevin - by having a quick changeover to a different rail mode. As is totally normal across the world.

    There may be justification for the Clongriffin spur, but only after extensive quad tracking between there and the city. Which will cost hundreds of millions.


Advertisement