Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda traffic on Twitter 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Seized means you lose the car?
    And impounded means you pay to get it out of the pound but you don’t lose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    Seized means you lose the car?
    And impounded means you pay to get it out of the pound but you don’t lose it.

It's the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

How many ****ing disqualified drivers are there on our roads?! It’s mind boggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Damien360

fullstop wrote: »
    How many ****ing disqualified drivers are there on our roads?! It’s mind boggling.

I would imagine it’s not too difficult to get disqualified. Get caught 4 times speeding in 3 years and you get put off the road for 6 months. And if you are an N plate then it’s 7 points or 2 speeding plus a another.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

A friend of mine was disqualified in the UK. He said that the local police check up on their 'drunks' to make sure they are not driving. Perhaps a bit of that here might clear up things a bit.

Plus people found to be driving disqualified need special attention by the courts, and repeat offenders (caught a second time disqualified) deserve immediate detention, and perhaps a custodial sentence.

In rural areas, surely the local Gardai know the score with disqualified drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Why wasn't this vehicle seized, they always seem to state that any unaccompanied learner driver has their car seized so it's omission above implies it wasn't.
    No mention of car being seized from the unqualified and thus uninsured 16 year old driver with parents in the car either but proceedings have commenced so maybe seizure is part of that.

They don't give all the details all the time. The Twitter feed is effectively a tabloid front page giving salacious headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Damien360 wrote: »
    I would imagine it’s not too difficult to get disqualified. Get caught 4 times speeding in 3 years and you get put off the road for 6 months. And if you are an N plate then it’s 7 points or 2 speeding plus a another.

Right, well if you are disqualified you’re not supposed to be driving, but seemingly loads are. And while it may not be difficult per-se to get disqualified you’d want to be fairly dim to keep speeding after being caught the first 2-3 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

fullstop wrote: »
    Right, well if you are disqualified you’re not supposed to be driving, but seemingly loads are. And while it may not be difficult per-se to get disqualified you’d want to be fairly dim to keep speeding after being caught the first 2-3 times.

The reality of it is that too many are being disqualified for issues that have little impact on road safety . I have no sympathy for anyone clocking up sufficient points over a period of time . That is just chronically ignoring the law .
    But what has happened in recent years is that a significant number of motorists are being put off the road for very little by way of offence .For example someone found to have a residue of a spliff smoked so long ago as to no longer be relevant .Or someone caught the morning after by failing a urine / alcohol test .
    It is now possible to be disqualified without actually being impaired.
    What benefit is that to society ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

GNWoodd wrote: »
    The reality of it is that too many are being disqualified for issues that have little impact on road safety . I have no sympathy for anyone clocking up sufficient points over a period of time . That is just chronically ignoring the law .
    But what has happened in recent years is that a significant number of motorists are being put off the road for very little by way of offence .For example someone found to have a residue of a spliff smoked so long ago as to no longer be relevant .Or someone caught the morning after by failing a urine / alcohol test .

I recall being in Wicklow county courthouse, and a judge seemed to be handing out two year driving bans for anything motoring related, although he threw out the matter concerning me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Northern Ireland man refused bail after car rammed through Garda checkpoint following 15 mile police pursuit.

it's behind a paywall in the Belfast Telegraph even though it's a southern story I can't see it reported on.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/uk/northern-ireland-man-refused-bail-after-car-rammed-through-garda-checkpoint-following-15-mile-police-pursuit-40354406.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Northern Ireland man refused bail after car rammed through Garda checkpoint following 15 mile police pursuit.

it's behind a paywall in the Belfast Telegraph even though it's a southern story I can't see it reported on.

Reported Locally in Donegal

https://www.donegaldaily.com/2021/04/25/bail-denied-for-man-involved-in-dramatic-crash-after-inishowen-pursuit/

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭POBox19

The benefits to society are that people are not getting injured, maimed or killed by those who have proven themselves incapable of respecting the rights and safety of others.
    The laws have been enacted to protect the citizens and the penalties for failing to observe them vary from cautions, fines, points, disqualification and jail.

POBox19 wrote: »
    The benefits to society are that people are not getting injured, maimed or killed by those who have proven themselves incapable of respecting the rights and safety of others.
    The laws have been enacted to protect the citizens and the penalties for failing to observe them vary from cautions, fines, points, disqualification and jail.

Why not use cautions , fines and points firstly then
    Rather than dishing out disqualifications ?
    If the number of motorists getting disqualified for relatively minor first offences continues as is , a point will be quickly reached where no one obeys the disqualification .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

If the number of motorists getting disqualified for relatively minor first offences continues as is , a point will be quickly reached where no one obeys the disqualification .

no do drug

What country are you allowed to drive in while testing positive for cocaine etc?

Or you just think there should be a first time is points and another time is a ban?

This topic is a bit of a hobby horse for GNWoodd, he's desperate for there to be extra chances for drug drivers before they're disqualified. Probably 75% of his posts relate to whinging about road traffic offenders being banned.

Possibly caught on the bag himself while driving and he's now on a bicycle, I put it to him before but never got a reply strangely.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116651398&postcount=1268

ah yes thanks that could have been quite the waste of time for me

Witcher wrote: »
    This topic is a bit of a hobby horse for GNWoodd, he's desperate for there to be extra chances for drug drivers before they're disqualified. Probably 75% of his posts relate to whinging about road traffic offenders being banned.

Possibly caught on the bag himself while driving and he's now on a bicycle, I put it to him before but never got a reply strangely.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116651398&postcount=1268

You can try to discredit me any way you wish but I can assure you that everything that I have posted here I can stand over .
    You believe in the integrity of the system whereas I do not .That doesn’t make what I post any less valid

People caught by the system are usually the ones who find fault with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭POBox19

Well, when you've had the cautions, fines and points and you are still using narcotics and/or alcohol and driving at speeds in excess of the set limits you have a very good chance of being disqualified for a while, or even sent to jail, because you've proved that your incapable of driving safely and the only person that you are fooling is yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Bhail

You're right. Being done for trace amounts 24 hrs later where you actually are not under the influence of anything. It's flawed. No one would argue with being under at that moment, it's the trace amount that doesn't reflect reality.

POBox19 wrote: »
    Well, when you've had the cautions, fines and points and you are still using narcotics and/or alcohol and driving at speeds in excess of the set limits you have a very good chance of being disqualified for a while, or even sent to jail, because you've proved that your incapable of driving safely and the only person that you are fooling is yourself.

There are no cautions fines or points when it comes to narcotics or alcohol .

• Registered Users Posts: 40,275 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

There are no cautions fines or points when it comes to narcotics or alcohol .

and yet people still drive with drugs and/or alcohol in their system. Almost as if the real problem is that people are idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭Miscreant

joujoujou wrote: »

Blimey! 176kph and a tyre about to blow out... Some people really just want to watch the world burn!

What a hugely ignorant statement.

If there's sufficient alcohol STILL in your system that you fail the exam then there's still enough to impair your driving. That's how it works. It's a test that's tailored to each individual and their ability to absorb alcohol.

The marijuana test works the same way. It's not a drug test like workplaces. It's the amount still in your system at the time of testing. If it's detectable, it's effecting you.

what sort of punishment will defective tyre 180km/h driver get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

what sort of punishment will defective tyre 180km/h driver get?

Hopefully a hefty fine and at least 10 points. 5 for speeding and 5 for driving dangerously defective vehicle. Will probably get away with it on a technicality though.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Advertisement