Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Citizen radio signal problem

Options
  • 26-05-2020 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi all,

First time posting in the watch section here so apologies if this has been answered before....

I just received a new citizen radio controlled watch. Unfortunately I am having trouble picking up a signal. I was just wondering if others have this problem. I'm based in rural area on Wexford, Carlow, Wicklow border.

I was thinking of going to Mt Leinster to try get a signal or alternatively buying a signal booster (approx 30 euro). My worry with Mt. Leinster would be signal interference from the masts etc....

Anyway, I would be grateful to hear of others experiences?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

These watches usually try multiple times to get a signal - do you leave yours beside a window at night? Maybe try some different sides of the house to see if a signal can be found elsewhere - I know on my Casio it will try repeatedly to get a signal if it fails to get one at 2am - 3am, 4am etc. or something similar to that.

So maybe leave it at the four different sides of your home through the night to see if it can get a signal anywhere.

First check which signals your watch supports, via the manual or spec sheet. The closest signal to us is the UK one (MSF) but most Citizen models do not support it, relying on the German signal (DCF77). Some overseas models may not support any European signals at all, so be careful when buying online.

My atomic watches are mostly Casio, they support the UK signal and I get a successful sync 9 nights out of 10 or better.

Assuming yours supports the German signal, we are on the edge of it's range so reception can be hit and miss. To give your watch the best chance, leave it near a window and in the orientation recommended in the manual (usually 12 o'clock facing out). If you can put it in a window facing the transmitter, all the better. Don't put it near sources of interference.

Signal boosters exist as you note, or can be made. However many report success merely leaving the watch around the handlebar of a bike, or chin-up bar etc.

Some phone/PC apps are available which spoof the signal by playing a sound through headphones/speakers. The frequency is much lower (obviously) but they rely on faint harmonics. JJY is one of them, Clockwave is another. I don't use them but there is plenty of info online.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Ferns83

Thank very much. I had read about the bike/chin up bar but was not aware of JJY. I will give it a try.

Much appreciated,

First check which signals your watch supports, via the manual or spec sheet. The closest signal to us is the UK one (MSF) but most Citizen models do not support it, relying on the German signal (DCF77). Some overseas models may not support any European signals at all, so be careful when buying online.

My atomic watches are mostly Casio, they support the UK signal and I get a successful sync 9 nights out of 10 or better.

Assuming yours supports the German signal, we are on the edge of it's range so reception can be hit and miss. To give your watch the best chance, leave it near a window and in the orientation recommended in the manual (usually 12 o'clock facing out). If you can put it in a window facing the transmitter, all the better. Don't put it near sources of interference.

Signal boosters exist as you note, or can be made. However many report success merely leaving the watch around the handlebar of a bike, or chin-up bar etc.

Some phone/PC apps are available which spoof the signal by playing a sound through headphones/speakers. The frequency is much lower (obviously) but they rely on faint harmonics. JJY is one of them, Clockwave is another. I don't use them but there is plenty of info online.

Advertisement