Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble ahoy for games?

Options
  • 26-05-2020 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭

Just got word that a rake of gamestops are permanently closing early June.

And smyths are looking ropey too.

And rage is calling it quits at current location, at least?

Oh man, this is looking bad. Forgetting the wider economy for a second, the idea of basically having nowhere to buy physical games is kinda crazy.

Some of these had the writing on the wall, but still, it's a mighty weird situation to consider.

It's the end of times, cats living with dogs, the dead rising from the grave :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

All the while Bezos adds to his billions and we get less and less choice.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

The extortionate costs of commercial rates & rent have led to B&M shops just not being competitive with online physical and digital pricing. I won't be overly sad to see GameStop go....they had outrageous and largely inflated pricing for a long time (usually dearer by €10+ per game than other shops)...but Smyths used to be alright for the odd bargain.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Gradius wrote: »
    And rage is calling it quits at current location, at least?

Bugger, just read the post on FB, I'm not allowed comment there, I think I might have insulted someone there a while ago!
    But it will be missed, certainly.
    Fingers crossed they find an alternative location and keep trading.

It's the end of times, cats living with dogs, the dead rising from the grave :p

I get that reference....

Inviere wrote: »
    The extortionate costs of commercial rates & rent have led to B&M shops just not being competitive with online physical and digital pricing. I won't be overly sad to see GameStop go....they had outrageous and largely inflated pricing for a long time (usually dearer by €10+ per game than other shops)...but Smyths used to be alright for the odd bargain.

Is it outrageous or inflated though, if their business model is unsustainable? It's hard to square bemoaning their loss due to the extra costs of doing business and complaining about their pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Is it outrageous or inflated though, if their business model is unsustainable? It's hard to square bemoaning their loss due to the extra costs of doing business and complaining about their pricing.

They're way overpriced, if Smyths can sell Final Fantasy 7 or Call of Duty for 60 euro why would anyone in their right mind pay GameStop 70. Their business model will become obselete over time as more and more people embrace digital downloads. They won't have the same opportunities to screw publishers and developers over by selling a pre-owned game for 5 euro less than a new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Seems like more and more of the gamestops are closing.

It's very strange. I remember the likes of virgin megastores on the quays in Dublin which was brilliant just to browse around, fast forward to now and it's looking like even seeing a videogame will be a rarity soon. It's sad in a way.

My interest in new games was already waning with the bloated nature of it all, dlc, never ending updates etc.

I was talking with a friend the other day and comparing the jump from the likes of the commodore to the megadrive, how it was amazing to just flick a button and BAM, now you can play the game.

The last few years have seen all that slowly reverse again. Crazy :p

Obviously nobody can be 100% sure what will happen, but I can certainly guess that already existing physical games now will probably rocket in price. But digitally licensed downloads can kiss my hole either way :)

They're way overpriced, if Smyths can sell Final Fantasy 7 or Call of Duty for 60 euro why would anyone in their right mind pay GameStop 70. Their business model will become obselete over time as more and more people embrace digital downloads. They won't have the same opportunities to screw publishers and developers over by selling a pre-owned game for 5 euro less than a new one.

So, they're creaming it... somehow I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I really miss Virgin Megastore on the quays, was a golden era of browsing media content in person. They even had a dedicated VHS Manga Entertainment section which was a rarity to see in Dublin at the time.

That's really sad about range disappearing from Fade Street. Didn't really buy anything there myself, but would have the odd browse as I walked down that way. Usually seemed to be a few folks in there buying stuff any time I was in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

But digitally licensed downloads can kiss my hole either way :)

I'm the opposite, I prefer buying digitally as there's always sales for loads of games and when a game is on sale its usually the cheapest way to get the game. Gamestop are rip off merchants and have been for some time, I hope smyths and CEX survive in the future though

o1s1n wrote: »
    I really miss Virgin Megastore on the quays, was a golden era of browsing media content in person. They even had a dedicated VHS Manga Entertainment section which was a rarity to see in Dublin at the time.

That's really sad about range disappearing from Fade Street. Didn't really buy anything there myself, but would have the odd browse as I walked down that way. Usually seemed to be a few folks in there buying stuff any time I was in.

Virgin megastars was fantastic. Never understood why they closed, more than likely rent as well.

I bought a few things in rage but it was always a good place for a browse at least. They might be reopening in token itself, which could be a brilliant move.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've gone mostly digital now. I don't have space for my games anymore and really only pick up games that might become rare. However since the 3DS is a dead system there's very few games that will be rare and worth playing on current systems.

I'd prefer to own games on PC as you get the best version and also get a fan community that will keep even the most obscure release alive forever even if the likes of steam go down the drain.

Greyfox wrote: »
    I'm the opposite, I prefer buying digitally as there's always sales for loads of games and when a game is on sale its usually the cheapest way to get the game. Gamestop are rip off merchants and have been for some time, I hope smyths and CEX survive in the future though

I just don't put any value on download stuff. Even if a physical game reduces to 2 euro worth in years, it's still 2 euro more than a download.

I remember buying an xbox one one with a bunch of downloaded games, but because it was tied to the previous owners account they basically didn't exist. Now I'm sure there are ways around all those things, but I'm just not arsed with all the extra trouble.

I saw it mentioned elsewhere that dlc content is going to disappear from some consoles soon. It's just not my scene anymore as it feels uncomfortably close to renting games for full price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

Very much outrageous, they're consistently more expensive than rival stores for the exact same product. That doesn't come down to overheads, but instead relying on the sucker effect. It's only natural that stores that price gouge will be the first to fold in all of this. I won't miss GameStop, I very, very, rarely shopped there. I don't celebrate their demise though, I feel we should always have the physical option...but again, I can't say I'm surprised here given how they operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Gamestop was more expensive as they wanted you to buy pre-owned which is far more profitable for them, if you were willing to wait a few weeks.
    Physical media is dirt nowadays anyway, is little more that a licence key to download the product. Remember buying The Last Guardian for PS4 when it was released, was €70 I think and nothing in box but the disc - no manuals, flyers nothing. Screw that, I think that was the last physical PS4 game I bought...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Inviere wrote: »
    The extortionate costs of commercial rates & rent have led to B&M shops just not being competitive with online physical and digital pricing.

To me it seems that city/county councils won't be happy until they have empty town centres...

Take Limerick for example, the city centre has very little on offer, the crescent and childers road retail parks offer free car park and better selection of shops...

All the councils see is the money they can generate from rates, but when units are left vacant for years they blame everything else but themselves

The model of charging rates in Ireland is very short sighted, it also seems to encourage unnecessary consumerism as the stores that do survive can only do so by selling poor quality rubbish or else by playing pricing mind games with consumers...

Master of the Universe

Virgin megastars was fantastic. Never understood why they closed, more than likely rent as well.

I bought a few things in rage but it was always a good place for a browse at least. They might be reopening in token itself, which could be a brilliant move.

Yeah that place was always packed whenever I went in.

Very 80's RTE report of it opening on the RTE Archives that's worth a look at;

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/1201/835827-virgin-megastore-opens-in-dublin/

The Rage might be reopening in Token? now that is actually a really good idea. Cut down on the massive rents and go straight to your seller base - win win!

Actually, now that I think about it, alcohol and expensive video games in the same location. Could it be a recipe for waking up with a hangover and severe buyer's remose? :D

Could it be a recipe for waking up with a hangover and severe buyer's remose? :D

I can see it now,
    Oisin in a nightgown ,rollie hanging out of his mouth and 4 copies of the wily wars and a thumping headache :D

Master of the Universe

I can see it now,
    Oisin in a nightgown ,rollie hanging out of his mouth and 4 copies of the wily wars and a thumping headache :D

Bleeding-gums-wily-wars.png

Yeah that place was always packed whenever I went in.

The Rage might be reopening in Token? now that is actually a really good idea. Cut down on the massive rents and go straight to your seller base - win win!

Actually, now that I think about it, alcohol and expensive video games in the same location. Could it be a recipe for waking up with a hangover and severe buyer's remose? :D

Gas looking at that :)

And yeah, it's a very good idea for token and rage to combine. Dangerous on the pocket too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

That's a nostalgia trip! Used to love that place; was such a shame the virgin shops were rolled up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,306 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I used to love going into Virgin on a Saturday looking at things I couldn't afford
    I remember the whole condom controversy in there
    I saw Richard Branson in there one day just talking to the staff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭BGOllie

man that's memories that shop. I'd left my ps1 in France when I moved here...
    I got my first paycheck ever when Soul Reaver came out, I remember paying a round for all my friends that night, being so happy I could afford a chipper afterwards and went in Virgin the next day and bought myself a ps1 and picked Soul Reaver as the free game that came with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Problem is, I can't remember the last time I went into a shop to buy a physical game. Everything I buy now is digital, it's usually cheaper than physical (if I get it on sale) and I don't have to leave the house.

More and more often, if you buy anything physical, you're going to have to download the game anyway.

Master of the Universe

sugarman wrote: »
    Used to love heading into "town" on a Saturday as a kid hitting up the Virgin Megastore on the quays, HMV on Grafton & Henry St, Games...World? on Liffey St (Now a Gamestop) ..and the various GAME shops. As well as a browse in the likes of Maplins, Smyths and Peats.

All thats left now is Smyths :(

Hah, that's EXACTLY what I used to do on my Saturdays. Would get the Dart into 'Town' from Bray and hit those exact shops, with Tower Records on Wicklow Street and Forbidden Planet thrown in too.

Games world on Liffey Street was great, one of the first shops I remember which had secondhand PS1 games for sale. They had secondhand SNES games too at that point but silly me wasn't interested in them anymore at that stage. Distinctly remember buying Final Doom in there one Saturday. I remember picking up Castlevania SOTN second hand and looking at the back thinking 'nah that's not for me' :eek:

Used to love heading into "town" on a Saturday as a kid hitting up the Virgin Megastore on the quays, HMV on Grafton & Henry St, Games...World? on Liffey St (Now a Gamestop) ..and the various GAME shops. As well as a browse in the likes of Maplins, Smyths and Peats.

All thats left now is Smyths :(

A familiar circuit :D

You're forgetting the Virgin Games centre on Dawson st; became Electronics Boutique when Virgin closed it.
    Hah, that's EXACTLY what I used to do on my Saturdays. Would get the Dart into 'Town' from Bray and hit those exact shops, with Tower Records on Wicklow Street and Forbidden Planet thrown in too.

Brownie points if you remember Forbidden Planet being on Dawson st. before it moved to the quays. Throw in Third Place comics (used to be beside the Foggy Dew; now in Dundrum) and Sub City comics on the other end of Wicklow st. to Tower Records

• Registered Users Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I member Games world in the back of chapters and paying £69.99 for a steel box street fighter two it took me ages to save and swap games with friend to be able to get it. Then the horror began ;)

Ah that's where it was! It wasn't that I forgot it, I just couldn't remember where the hell it was.. also was there another Electronics Boutique somewhere on the North side of town too?

What became Game on Henry street was EB you were thinking of; I don't think there was any others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

There was a shop in Henry Street called Harry Moore's that used to sell Super Famicom and US SNES games. I remember buying Castlevania and Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts there in the early nineties, I still have them today. Mr. Calculator was another shop on one of the side streets off Grafton Street, it could have been South Anne Street. They used to sell imports too.

Easily the best import shop was... That shop who's name I can't remember...under the bridge at the end of Talbot Street.

Great place, sound fellas. I ordered my japanese gamecube at launch there with resident evil. The gamecube was seized by customs but resident evil made it through.

Let me say it was painful having that beautiful resident evil game and no way to play it for months on months :p

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Easily the best import shop was... That shop who's name I can't remember...under the bridge at the end of Talbot Street.

Great place, sound fellas. I ordered my japanese gamecube at launch there with resident evil. The gamecube was seized by customs but resident evil made it through.

Let me say it was painful having that beautiful resident evil game and no way to play it for months on months :p

They actually took the GameCube from you??

That shop was Game Zone I'm fairly sure. I think it closed about ten years ago.

Advertisement