Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in UFOs & flying saucers ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Brian Cox was just on Pat Kenny’s show, his “issue” isn’t with life being prevalent throughout the galaxy but with intelligent life. He reckons it’s all slime.

I’m not sure I agree with him but that’s just me.

Watching him on good morning britain right now. He's definitely a little "out there" alright but I think I would like to go to his show if the government ever allows such events to happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Fuzzyduzzy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Watching him on good morning britain right now. He's definitely a little "out there" alright but I think I would like to go to his show if the government ever allows such events to happen again.

Yeah, his shows are class but he does seem to be an outlier in the belief that there’s no other “intelligent” life in the galaxy.

Most of the astrophysicists, cosmologists, astronomers etc would bow to the mathematical “probability” that it is, certainly, possible. Obviously, they would not be drawn on ETs visiting us from across the stars.

The tide is turning…

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Brian Cox was just on Pat Kenny’s show, his “issue” isn’t with life being prevalent throughout the galaxy but with intelligent life. He reckons it’s all slime.
    Well the problem is we've only one example of life and it's here. And it's only one kind of life. Now looking at the history of life on earth for the first few billion years it was just "slime", complex animals and plant arose late enough in the game and even today there's a lot more slime than complex life. So then you get to complex life. Most of it is pretty passive and not particularly complex.

Animals are more interesting and over the billion years of fecking about have come up with all sorts of novel survival adaptations to different environments and stressors. Swimming has evolved many times across many different species, though Fish Shape seems to be a charm for it. So ichthyosaurs looked like "fish", as do dolphins as do, well, fish. Flight has also evolved a few times across insects, dinosaurs, birds, mammals and again to generally similar outcomes.

However the evolutionary game changer that is intelligent life, in particular the human type has arisen just the once. And even then it didn't do much for about a million years. Previous humans remained in small numbers in the landscape, intelligent, with the occasional tantalising hints to come, but otherwise changing little over time and a passing space probe could very easily miss them. This included ourselves, anatomically modern humans for much of our journey. Then something shifted about 90,000 years ago and really took off about 50,000 years ago that left all the other previous humans in the tuppence ha'penny place. Symbolic thought, art, religion(which becomes philosophy and science), complex culture, more rapidly evolving technology etc, Whatever that something was could very likely be a fluke*, a fluke that may not happen elsewhere, even if intelligent hominid types evolve. Or they evolve and then get wiped out by some natural disaster(as we nearly were 60 odd 1000 years back).

So life could be common enough, as it was here, complex life could be common enough too(or maybe not. Complex life wasn't very complex here until earth turned into an ice bound snowball and after that cleared there was a massive burst of diversity), but intelligent life, of the sort like ours? Could be vanishingly rare, Plus stars grow and die at different times over the life of the universe so they could be long gone, or could be far in the future. You might only have one maybe two intelligent species per galaxy at any one time. Or maybe one every two or three galaxies. That would still leave many hundreds of thousands, but too far away to ever find out about them.

*For my money the fluke was networking. Neandertals et al could have been bright, but their groups stayed small and inter group contact appears to have been limited(like apex predators tend to be). The fluke could have been something as "simple" as a slightly increased level of friendliness in us, maybe because of external stressors those who forged bonds with strangers were more likely to survive and have more kids, who in turn were more friendly to strangers and strange ideas, so our groups got larger and contacts between groups became more complex. To take the home computer analogy. They were around since the late 70's and by the mid 80's lots of households had them. But they were mostly for games or as glorified typewriters/bookeepers. They weren't connected. Then the internet comes along and by the mid-late 90's they became ever more useful and important. Today the computer tech is so much more advanced than 20 years ago, they're more "intelligent", but for a weekend switch off the internet connection from your laptop, tablet or phone and see how much more of a useless thing they become. By the end you'd be happier connecting a late 90's PC to the web, than have the latest iPhonDroid with it's network disabled and the late 90's PC would actually be more useful.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

flanna01 wrote: »
    Can anybody explain in layman terms what the actual significance of this discovery is? if indeed it is verified as true.

It would be equivalent to when gravity was described as a force. Our knowledge of electromagnetism, another fundamental force is what enables machines and computers to work. If this new force is something we can harness then it would be huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

I just want to see the alleged picture the Navy pilot took of the black triangle coming out of the ocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

MarkY91 wrote: »
    No I don't believe anything visited Earth but I believe there's living organisms somewhere out there. There's an infinite amount of planets out there. To believe Earth is the only one that can sustain life, at least to me just sounds stupid.

It's a hell of a lot deeper than living organisms "somewhere out there"

"No I don't believe anything visited the Earth"

Very open minded of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so did aliens create covid? so as to weaken the human race before they invade & takeover or am i watching too much SciFi?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

fryup wrote: »
    so did aliens create covid? so as to weaken the human race before they invade & takeover or am i watching too much TV

5th Wave. Very mediocre film.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Fuzzyduzzy wrote: »

Just to correct the time: it's 8PM Irish time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Thanks, I've been refreshing his twitter feed the last 10minutes :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,303 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

That Jeremy guy is a bit of a conman

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

so did aliens create covid? so as to weaken the human race before they invade & takeover or am i watching too much SciFi?

No, but it was man made.

That Jeremy guy is a bit of a conman

Ya, he has too much to gain financially from the UFO stuff to be completely credible, selling movies to Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

The Earth formed about 4.5 billion years ago. In the beginning it was an intense ball of molten rock with a liquid iron centre, being violently bombarded by countless meteorite impacts, totally inhospitable to life.

If you believe the same, then you agree that the Earth was once completely sterile from any life forms, and that for life to start in such a chaotic environment is fanciful too say the least (thinking of a planet of erupting volcanos, encrusted with volcanic lava, still being bombarded by non stop impacts from the heavens).

But at some point life came to the Planet. I don't think it originated here, so where did it come from?

Once the Earth cooled down a bit, life emerged fairy quickly. It was definitely here 3.5 billion years ago, with some evidence to suggest it was started 4.5 billion years ago (almost immediately)

Take an average and say 4 billion years ago.... That's a hell of a long time. Yet Mankind, or what we deem as humans, have only been around for the last 200,000 years - And 95% of that time we were not really technical as a species.

Out of 4.5 billion years, we have been technical for all but a blink of an eye. In the next 1000 years (again a cosmic blink of an eye), we will surely destroy ourselves.... How many rogue nations are experimenting with Nukes today? How many trigger happy Dictators can instigate a world war tomorrow. Where is the next virus coming from? When will the next meteorite hit us?

A thousand years is being a bit too optimistic I think.........

If / When, man wipes himself out, we all go back to square one again. Maybe this has happened countless times over the Galaxy?

An intelligent species would certainly have overcome wars and diversity? Surely they would have explored and colonised the Planets?
    At the very least sent probes to inspect their neighbours??

We are on the cusp of Planetary Exploration, we have rovers on Mars, we have Probes sending back information on all our neighbours. We have deep mind boggling experiments going on in CERN that could change our future..

Yet History tell us, we only get so far before we implode as a people. If we are similar to other civilisations out there, who's to say that the vast majority of intelligent life destroys itself before it reaches for the stars??

Maybe the last local intelligent civilisation went extinct 150,000 years ago? Maybe they were looking at us as a potential habitable planet before they met their doom?

Maybe the odds of two intelligent civilizations existing at the same time, with the ability to communicate with each other is beyond calculation...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If / When, man wipes himself out, we all go back to square one again. Maybe this has happened countless times over the Galaxy?

I doubt man will ever wipe himself out. We could do tremendous damage to the planet but some people would adapt and survive, maybe in numbers that are a fraction of what they are today.

Even a nuclear war wouldn't wipe everyone out.

We'd survive in some form, the planet would eventually start to heal and when conditions became right, humans would again grow in numbers enough to fcuk up the planet again and the cycle would continue.

I reckon it will be the sun that will wipe us out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yet History tell us, we only get so far before we implode as a people.
    Well not really. Individual civilisations can implode and fail, mostly gradually, but new ones, more advanced ones come along to replace them, sometimes out of the ashes of the previous.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

nothings happening ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

When the last videos of the UFO were released the Pentagon later confirmed they were indeed taken by pilots. We need the same thing here. Also that's a night vision camera I assume? Finally, who's releasing these videos to Jeremy?

• Advertisement

nothings happening ?

Look at the link I sent above. New US military videos. Corbell, as annoying as he can be, has sources within the military who have given him these to release. I think it's all part of the drip feed prior to the report in June. This is exactly what the report will contain, videos like these and "we don't know what they are".

steddyeddy wrote: »
    When the last videos of the UFO were released the Pentagon later confirmed they were indeed taken by pilots. We need the same thing here. Also that's a night vision camera I assume? Finally, who's releasing these videos to Jeremy?

https://twitter.com/g_knapp/status/1380245732653821954?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Fascinating, quite fascinating :cool:

Will be good to check out the context, eye witness testimony & corroboration, just to be sure it's a real unidentified object and not some camera trickery or computer wizardry.

Daytime UAP might have been a triangular balloon drifting along slowly until it did a wee shimmy, then took off at warp factor 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Pyramid shaped UFOs?

We need these guys

1479379753-screen-shot-2016-11-17-at-104725.png

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

nothings happening ?
    Look at the link I sent above. New US military videos. Corbell, as annoying as he can be, has sources within the military who have given him these to release. I think it's all part of the drip feed prior to the report in June. This is exactly what the report will contain, videos like these and "we don't know what they are".

i meant i thought there was suppose to be some live broadcast at 8pm?

i meant i thought there was suppose to be some live broadcast at 8pm?

There was a video podcast, it's mentioned in the tweet. It's on www.mysterywire.com but you need a VPN because the site isn't available in the EU with GDPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,303 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Corbell is a grifter. Best ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Had to Google 'grifter'.

a person who operates a side show at a circus, fair, etc., especially a gambling attraction. a swindler, dishonest gambler, or the like.

But if he is a grifter, does that mean the UAP videos he has supplied are dodgy, a bit Sexton Blake.

Fake?

• Advertisement

Corbell is a grifter. Best ignored.

I know what you mean about Corbell, he desperately tries to write himself into the narrative. Look at the Bob Lazar documentary for example. However, he does appear to have connections and I would take George Knapp's word that the videos are authentic.

If you want a good laugh, watch the Lazar and Corbell appearance on Joe Rogan and read the comments about Corbell
    https://youtu.be/WmF6RXf6U_A

Advertisement