Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Golf digest top 100 2020

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Lahinch still €240 :( no deal for GUI members

Yes which is a shame. I have rang them and they are considering it this year apparently. Told to ring back in a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,000 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

It seems what people were suggesting wasn't miles off the mark. Just need a couple more to have a rethink.

Americans will not be coming over anyway - a decent GUI rate (all be it, at a fair price 80 to 100) euro. Would be great for everyone. Looks like 120 is price point - near 1/2 price.

This idea that the places would be packed to the rafters - full of the local pub societies was not what people wanted. A price point that will have dedicated lovers of golf and supports of the game - who in reality have a fairly admirable ambition, to play every great course in Ireland.

A few notable exceptions yet.

The Island
    Portmarnock
    Royal Dublin
    Lahinch

Any others ?

But fair play to the course who have considered it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It seems what people were suggesting wasn't miles off the mark. Just need a couple more to have a rethink.

Americans will not be coming over anyway - a decent GUI rate (all be it, at a fair price 80 to 100) euro. Would be great for everyone. Looks like 120 is price point - near 1/2 price.

This idea that the places would be packed to the rafters - full of the local pub societies was not what people wanted. A price point that will have dedicated lovers of golf and supports of the game - who in reality have a fairly admirable ambition, to play every great course in Ireland.

The Island
    Portmarnock
    Royal Dublin
    Lahinch

Any others ?

I'm not exactly sure the courses that are having these re-thinks are as noble as you may suggest Fix. If Ballyliffin was in Dublin, with a strong membership base, then I suspect they could be on the same list as above.

If Clubs are doing it now, it's more likely to be because they have the space on the timesheet and need the money, rather than it being some altruistic change in attitude to local golfers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

https://twitter.com/Ballyliffin/status/1270391336357724160/photo/1

Sorry - not sure if above will work - but fair play to Ballyliffin offering a GUI rate of €80 - as offered here.
    etxp wrote: »
    Friend of mine has been In contact with a few.

Tralee 120
    Old head 130
    Waterville 130

not sure if this is normal GUI rates or special offers. Not sure what dates he enquired about exactly but it was July/August time
    Ballybunion €125 for Old, €50 for Cashen, €155 for both in the same day.
    GUI rate

All normal GUI rates, no offers there, Ballyliffin actually gone up a tenner and I'm pretty sure I was quoted way less for Waterville last time I checked, deffo just double figures!
    Not sure on Old Head though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

The Island
    Portmarnock
    Royal Dublin
    Lahinch

Any others ?

Yea they wont want hackers coming in.

Adare are not doing any deals, stuck with the €395 plus €75 for the a caddy.

I used always say that I wouldn't pay over 100 for a round of golf but I might stretch it to 120/130 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

slave1 wrote: »
    All normal GUI rates, no offers there, Ballyliffin actually gone up a tenner and I'm pretty sure I was quoted way less for Waterville last time I checked, deffo just double figures!

I checked Ballybunion and Tralee last summer and there was no GUI rate in either. They don’t care what accent you have in the summer as long as you produce 250 quid, there was no 125 GUI rate (according to what I was told).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

Raisins wrote: »
    I checked Ballybunion and Tralee last summer and there was no GUI rate in either. They don’t care what accent you have in the summer as long as you produce 250 quid, there was no 125 GUI rate (according to what I was told).

I'd assume with those courses that the majority playing then are on package tours. And the reality is that the tour company would be paying a heavily discounted green fee rate to the clubs. I very much when you divide the revenue from visitors by the number that played you'd be at all close to their green fee rate.

If you phone the Pro shop you'll get a rate, they do not advertise it.
    Thinking back on Waterville I am pretty certain it was €60 for a round after 4.30 in the afternoon which is well doable at summer sunsets

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭doublecross

They have opens every year. Tralee was around €50 Last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Ally McIntosh

PARlance wrote: »
    I'm not exactly sure the courses that are having these re-thinks are as noble as you may suggest Fix. If Ballyliffin was in Dublin, with a strong membership base, then I suspect they could be on the same list as above.

If Clubs are doing it now, it's more likely to be because they have the space on the timesheet and need the money, rather than it being some altruistic change in attitude to local golfers.

This - of course - is the answer.

Clubs choose the model they want. Most wish to maximise revenue. Some wish to limit outside play in order to maintain the experience for their members.

I’d be very surprised if clubs deliberately reduce their income to “help” the GUI or GUI affiliated golfers. I think it would be more worthy if some high end clubs gave a few tee-times to the local community for a day or two a year, as acknowledgement of their place in the locality. Doonbeg used to do this, maybe because it helped them gain support at permitting stage though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

etxp wrote: »
    Yes which is a shame. I have rang them and they are considering it this year apparently. Told to ring back in a few weeks.

cause the yanks can't come this year
    all the courses listed here aren't doing this out of some goodness of heart\gui deal, it's economics of having a majorly reduced tourist industry for this season especially with no american's coming.

some of the deals mentioned are good no doubt but it won't be a thing going forward which is a shame

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

They have opens every year. Tralee was around €50 Last year

I know I played in one. I just didn’t think they had a Gui rate the pro shop told me they didn’t but I might have spoken to wrong person.

PARlance wrote: »

Behind the facade of my rhetoric - I know this is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

Thinking back on Waterville I am pretty certain it was €60 for a round after 4.30 in the afternoon which is well doable at summer sunsets

Surprised at this. The only time I played Waterville, in 2017, was in a scratch competition, I was playing with with 3 members, they said the members guest fee had recently gone up to €120, so I can’t see how a GUI rate would be any cheaper.

I hope you’re right and I’m wrong!

Oh I am right, was in person in the Pro shop, a walk in enquiry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭rooney30

You are wrong . These rates were not available to gui members pre pandemic . In fact there was no such thing as a gui rate in most of these clubs These are basically pandemic prices !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Oh I am right, was in person in the Pro shop, a walk in enquiry

I rang both Waterville and Ballybunion last summer and there was no GUI rate in either and I kicked up a bit of a stink to no avail. So your experience is defo the exception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭tax_tutor1

Waterville member/guest rate is €120 at present. Just checked it with a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Ally McIntosh

tax_tutor1 wrote: »
    Waterville member/guest rate is €120 at present. Just checked it with a member.

That’s a huge amount for a member’s guest. Surely that must be the highest in the country? Maybe Adare is more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

That’s a huge amount for a member’s guest. Surely that must be the highest in the country? Maybe Adare is more.

Adare's member guest rate is €200, no caddy required though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Lahinch still €240 :( no deal for GUI members

Lahinch now going €150 for visitors. Got an e mail back from them last week.

morrga wrote: »
    Lahinch now going €150 for visitors. Got an e mail back from them last week.

Still a bit rich ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

It is, but Id say there a bit of not wanting to devalue the magic and image too much with some of these courses even if they could actually get more cash in by reducing the fees. They just dont have a need some have so much in the bank anyway, its better to just ride this year out and keep the high faluting exclusivity thing.

Advertisement