Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning

Options
  • 09-09-2019 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,286 ✭✭✭✭

Hayley Atwell joins the cast of 7 as they start to shoot the next two back to back.
    Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭fluke

Never really dug MI:3 It's fine but feels like a TV movie. Kind of feels like a proto-Marvel movie actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

I watched 3 for the first time after seeing 4 & 5. It has good acting from PSH and a few good moments but it is very tame compared to the newer ones.

One of the big action sequences is just TC running.

SharpRigidBasil-size_restricted.gif

Now he straps himself to planes and stuff. Mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Thought the third was good and very important to get the franchise back on track from the awful 2nd one which just felt like a very poor James Bond

• Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Hayley Atwell joins the cast of 7 as they start to shoot the next two back to back.

They must be still doing good money at the box office that another 2 is being made, I guess like the F&F franchise epic big stunts and chases and of course Tom running guarantees success :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    They must be still doing good money at the box office that another 2 is being made, I guess like the F&F franchise epic big stunts and chases and of course Tom running guarantees success :P

Fallout garnered $791 million off a $178 milion budget, so not too shabby. Also, Cruise isn't getting any younger so it's canny enough to squeeze another couple of MI films outta him before age really does catch up with him. He already broke an ankle during filming of Fallout (as it happens, making the scene look more impactful!)

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Fallout garnered $791 million off a $178 milion budget, so not too shabby. Also, Cruise isn't getting any younger so it's canny enough to squeeze another couple of MI films outta him before age really does catch up with him. He already broke an ankle during filming of Fallout (as it happens, making the scene look more impactful!)

He does a lot of his own stunts, insurance must be high

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

He does a lot of his own stunts, insurance must be high

I suspect there's no insurance involved in these, and that Cruise is stumping his own money - perhaps looping in his Scientology connections (whatever else about them they have deep pockets). There's likely insurance and hazard pay for the crews all right, but it wouldn't surprise me that no firm will insure the actor himself; maybe he has signed some kind of waiver. It's all one step removed from Buster Keaton endangerment, and at 57 there's only so much more of that Cruise can get away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

El Duda wrote: »
    I watched 3 for the first time after seeing 4 & 5. It has good acting from PSH and a few good moments but it is very tame compared to the newer ones.

One of the big action sequences is just TC running.

SharpRigidBasil-size_restricted.gif

Now he straps himself to planes and stuff. Mental.
    I love the third one. The stakes are personal and relatable. Cruise has rarely acted (nor had the opportunity to act) as well as he does in the opening flash forward, begging for his wife's life. Hoffman's villain feels like a genuine threat, something all too many action movie villains fall short of.

The more recent ones are bigger, and I like them a lot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

mikhail wrote: »
    I love the third one. The stakes are personal and relatable. Cruise has rarely acted (nor had the opportunity to act) as well as he does in the opening flash forward, begging for his wife's life. Hoffman's villain feels like a genuine threat, something all too many action movie villains fall short of.

The more recent ones are bigger, and I like them a lot too.

Yeah, I think the 3rd one might be my favourite. As you said despite the nature of the movies (i.e. like Bond, Hunt will always survive) it really had that edge of the seat unpredictability where the threat felt genuine, it was a brilliant performance from Hoffman.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

While both are cash cows, I'd give MI a lot more respect as at least it's trying to weave a plot among the action.

Delighted Chris McQuarrie is back, and it does make sense to film two back to back. As mentioned, TC isn't getting any younger.

A pity Henry Cavill won't be about - his character was exactly the new blood the movie needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Dades wrote: »
    While both are cash cows, I'd give MI a lot more respect as at least it's trying to weave a plot among the action.

Delighted Chris McQuarrie is back, and it does make sense to film two back to back. As mentioned, TC isn't getting any younger.

A pity Henry Cavill won't be about - his character was exactly the new blood the movie needed.

It's funny that you should say "trying to weave a plot amongst the action" because McQuarrie has pretty much admitted that the last two were written on the fly and for me it shows. I enjoyed them both but don't ask me to recap their plots, especially of Fallout.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    It's funny that you should say "trying to weave a plot amongst the action" because McQuarrie has pretty much admitted that the last two were written on the fly and for me it shows. I enjoyed them both but don't ask me to recap their plots, especially of Fallout.
    Absolutely true. It was mental how much the plot was winged as production rolled. I'm cool with getting a bit lost as long as I'm getting swept along and enjoying it.

I've nothing against the F&F movies but they are on an extra level of daft; more about biceps and horsepower than shady intrigue.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,149 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I tried getting our 13 year old into the series by watching the first movie but, dear god, it's aged badly!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Sleepy wrote: »
    I tried getting our 13 year old into the series by watching the first movie but, dear god, it's aged badly!

I really like the first one, it's much more of an espionage thriller than the follow ups which are more action oriented.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,149 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Oh, I still enjoyed it but the "bleeding edge" tech needed a lot of explaining. Newsgroups played a key role in the plot and I had to pause the movie and spend about 10 minutes explaining the early days of the internet!

I love them all, can't wait for the next 2, but that scene where the helicopter goes into the Chunnel, didn't look great when it came out and looks 1000 times worse now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

(Guadians of the Galaxy/Avengers) Mantis from the Marvel Universe on board for the next two films:

https://twitter.com/PomKlementieff/status/1196845253040525314

SOLD!

Now for theme music!

AND MORE THEME MUSIC! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,286 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Filming for 7 suspended in Italy due to the coronavirus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Can't believe they've started on the 7th so soon after the last one and while Top Gun too ain't done/out yet.

py2006 wrote: »
    Can't believe they've started on the 7th so soon after the last one and while Top Gun too ain't done/out yet.
    7 and 8 back-to-back.

Can't be hanging around with the Cruiser not getting any younger.

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    7 and 8 back-to-back.

Can't be hanging around with the Cruiser not getting any younger.

8 will be about how he saved the world from a virus that was released in China and starts to spreads around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

8 will be about how he saved the world from a virus that was released in China and starts to spreads around the world.

Wasn't that MI2? ... Chimera/Corona ; )

cmyk wrote: »
    Wasn't that MI2? ... Chimera/Corona ; )

Not like Hollywood would regurgitate the same story line over and over again :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

I'd rather have Corona Virus than watch MI2 again tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

QikBax wrote: »
    I'd rather have Corona Virus than watch MI2 again tbh
    Ah now, it's not that bad. Regular flu, maybe.

Esai Morales replaces Nicholas Hoult as the villain

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Hopefully they'll be filming again soon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Sleepy wrote: »

My daughter, a bit younger, absolutely loves them, but we didn't watch them in sequence. Started with the later ones as Sky One was showing them weekly a few months back and got around to watching the 1st. Enough to keep her entertained but definitely slower than the later one, but I don't think it aged that badly.

Only one we haven't watched yet is II, I think that's rated 15 as opposed to 12 for the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Hurrache wrote: »
    My daughter, a bit younger, absolutely loves them, but we didn't watch them in sequence. Started with the later ones as Sky One was showing them weekly a few months back and got around to watching the 1st. Enough to keep her entertained but definitely slower than the later one, but I don't think it aged that badly.

Only one we haven't watched yet is II, I think that's rated 15 as opposed to 12 for the rest.

Don't bother, its dreadful, the worst in the series by a long way.

MI 3 is still my favourite. Definitely had the best mix of tension, action sequences and a scene-stealing performance from Philip Seymour Hoffmann as the bad guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Don't bother, its dreadful, the worst in the series by a long way.

MI 3 is still my favourite. Definitely had the best mix of tension, action sequences and a scene-stealing performance from Philip Seymour Hoffmann as the bad guy.

The only positive of that movie is that it gave Hugh Jackman the role of Wolverine. Otherwise it’s ****ing dreadful. The general john wooisms (look doves) The hair. The weird misogynistic streak. Dougray Scott. The pacing. Everything really.

Advertisement