Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keto diet

Options
  • 19-05-2020 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭

Hi, has anyone got a diet plan they can send me. Badly need to try something for the remainder of this pandemic. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Hi, has anyone got a diet plan they can send me. Badly need to try something for the remainder of this pandemic. Thanks.

Keto is such a buzz word in the fitness media right now , that despite it being a diet developed 100 years ago as a therapeutic treatment for epilepsy . Anyway keto is basically a very high fat diet, 70% of your diet is supposed to be fat. The thing is most people on the internet don't follow a strict keto diet, they just go low carb and eat as much protein as they want. Its not neessary to follow keto or low carb to lose weight, you can lose weight eating carbs. The one golden rule all diets must follow to work iS

CALORIE RESTRICTION

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    you can lose weight eating carbs. The one golden rule all diets must follow to work iS

CALORIE RESTRICTION

If the discussions were about building airplanes and someone kept piping in with "the golden rule is to generate more lift than the effect of gravity" after a while you woulnt be adding a lot to the discussion. Is there anyone over the age of 12 who doesnt know this?
    Alot of people who try keto or low carb tend to be older and have probably failed at other approaches, if it works for them that is the important thing. And it works for reason that go beyond seeing the body as a bucket you just dump calories into

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Halek

I'm currently following the keto diet and find it a great way to drop calories without hunger, portions are usually smaller though so that can be an issue!
    I got my macros from ruled.me and went from there using my fitness pal to stick to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

silverharp wrote: »
    If the discussions were about building airplanes and someone kept piping in with "the golden rule is to generate more lift than the effect of gravity" after a while you woulnt be adding a lot to the discussion. Is there anyone over the age of 12 who doesnt know this?

Yes.

I think you overestimate how many people understand what you might consider basic.

I've met enough of otherwise intelligent people who participate in X diet for 28 days because it will run amok in their system like a magical vacuum, obliterating those stubborn fat cells that diet or exercise would never do. And its revolutionary. So much so that science can't even prove it yet.

And better still, it will detox them too.

While I'm being a little flippant, there are a lot of people that haven't ever really thought about it to be aware of the basics of calorie balance. And some people want to latch onto something seemingly different to everything else that they have tried that they have never sustained.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,979 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I did Keto, it is very tough to stick to the carb limits. However the results are excellent, sleep better, more energy. It suited me as I'm all or nothing in my approach to things so been so restrictive was good. One negative sex drive went through the floor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Yes.

I think you overestimate how many people understand what you might consider basic.

I've met enough of otherwise intelligent people who participate in X diet for 28 days because it will run amok in their system like a magical vacuum, obliterating those stubborn fat cells that diet or exercise would never do. And its revolutionary. So much so that science can't even prove it yet.

And better still, it will detox them too.

While I'm being a little flippant, there are a lot of people that haven't ever really thought about it to be aware of the basics of calorie balance. And some people want to latch onto something seemingly different to everything else that they have tried that they have never sustained.

that's different , I think the more reasonable lack of understanding is exercise relative to food in relation to weight loss. Most people overestimate the benefits of exercise in weight control
    If anyone is considering low carb over a low fat diet, they are going to decide primarily if it helps appetite control and factors like that or other factors like sugar control diabetes control

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

that's different , I think the more reasonable lack of understanding is exercise relative to food in relation to weight loss. Most people overestimate the benefits of exercise in weight control
    If anyone is considering low carb over a low fat diet, they are going to decide primarily if it helps appetite control and factors like that or other factors like sugar control diabetes control

They're both closely related but slightly different elements of the same absence of understanding.

There's an inherent misunderstanding that there is something about carbs and fat that causes weight gain and typically they have dissociated the quantity of said foods from the issue when the primary issue is that they are just eating too much.

But I don't disagree with the overestimation of the calorie burn of exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I know a guy who adopted the keto diet since january, he's down 42kg and weights about 86kg now.

Doesnt eat breakfast or rubbish, stays to 20g carbs a day.

Seems happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Alot of people who try keto or low carb tend to be older and have probably failed at other approaches, if it works for them that is the important thing. And it works for reason that go beyond seeing the body as a bucket you just dump calories into

There's still a large portion of the population who do do not understand the role of calories in fat loss. A lot of people believe the calorie thing is outdated science.

Probably down to the many conflicting messages in the mainstream media, who regularly promote dodgy nutrition science for the sake of clickbait.

Don't know if most people have a clue about how planes work either tbh.

Advertisement