Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limited exercises with Dumbbells

Options
  • 19-05-2020 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So basically I've gotten myself a bunch of dumbells and a friend said I could borrow his bench. Now to maximise utility of the different types of workouts I can do for different bodyparts(the one I'll have the most issue is would be back/ legs/triceps, there's only like 2/3 exercises you can do with dumbells ) I was wondering shall I either (a) get a resistance bands(30€) or (b) get a barbell and a bench that can support a barbell(100€).

Any advice would be appreciated it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Hi,

So basically I've gotten myself a bunch of dumbells and a friend said I could borrow his bench. Now to maximise utility of the different types of workouts I can do for different bodyparts(the one I'll have the most issue is would be back/ legs/triceps, there's only like 2/3 exercises you can do with dumbells ) I was wondering shall I either (a) get a resistance bands(30€) or (b) get a barbell and a bench that can support a barbell(100€).

Any advice would be appreciated it.

Off the top of my head..

Triceps:

Kickbacks
    Single arm and double arm overhead extensions
    Floor press with a neutral grip
    * bear in mind that other pressing movements, eg OHP, will also work triceps

Back:

Single and double arm rows
    Wide rows
    Reverse flys
    Deadlift
    Renegade rows (core as well)
    YTWI circuit
    Shrugs

Legs:

Goblet squat
    Lateral lunge
    Split squat
    Front foot elevated split squat
    Rear foot elevated split squat
    Lunges

If you intended to build a home gym over time, maybe consider a bench and bar but you can do a lot with bands at slower cost.
    A bench would be handy for chest and back exercises as well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Off the top of my head..

Triceps:

Kickbacks
    Single arm and double arm overhead extensions
    Floor press with a neutral grip
    * bear in mind that other pressing movements, eg OHP, will also work triceps

Back:

Single and double arm rows
    Wide rows
    Reverse flys
    Deadlift
    Renegade rows (core as well)
    YTWI circuit
    Shrugs

Legs:

Goblet squat
    Lateral lunge
    Split squat
    Front foot elevated split squat
    Rear foot elevated split squat
    Lunges

If you intended to build a home gym over time, maybe consider a bench and bar but you can do a lot with bands at slower cost.
    A bench would be handy for chest and back exercises as well though.

Thank you very much!!
    Yh I have a bench but it's for Dumbbells, it's not the barbell bench. I'm only looking at this for short term till the gyms open up. So you'd advise to get the bands? The bands and dumbells should do the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Thank you very much!!
    Yh I have a bench but it's for Dumbbells, it's not the barbell bench. I'm only looking at this for short term till the gyms open up. So you'd advise to get the bands? The bands and dumbells should do the job?

A bench for dumbbells is fine.

I just have bands. I have a 25kg sandbag that I use for leg stuff but you can do a lot with bands. Even tricep pressdowns with the band behind your neck.

With the leg stuff, slow the tempo or add pauses (or both) to make it even harder.

You dont really need bands if you have the dumbbells though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

A bench for dumbbells is fine.

I just have bands. I have a 25kg sandbag that I use for leg stuff but you can do a lot with bands. Even tricep pressdowns with the band behind your neck.

With the leg stuff, slow the tempo or add pauses (or both) to make it even harder.

You dont really need bands if you have the dumbbells though

Thank you!!😁
    Ye guys saved me a few quid.

Advertisement