Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruckus in Portmarnock last night 18th May

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Oh that's awful! The residents must have been terrified, especially the elderly couple whose porch he was in. More Gardai on the streets and stiff penalties are the answer, but we won't hold our breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Darndale voted over 80% for SF in the last election. Just putting it out there so you know what company you're in. What side you're on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

Darndales a cesspit of the dregs & wasters in this city. Little vermin scum running wild and causing chaos all around the area.

Also portmarnock has trouble every year with vermin scum

• Registered Users Posts: 18 shenanigan

Darndale voted over 80% for SF in the last election. Just putting it out there so you know what company you're in. What side you're on.

Fred you are obsessed with SF. 5 out of the 8 threads started by you are about SF. Their recent rise in support must have you really scared! Just putting it out there!!!!

Absolutely nothing to do with this thread. Its a real failing in society when certain areas produce people like this. This is mainly due to problems such as addiction, lack of education, poverty etc. all in the control of the current government.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

This has been tolerated for decades at this stage. When someone with 100 previous convictions can walk out of court with a suspended sentence you can easily see how these guys feel they have nothing to fear from the authorities.

Darndale is 50 years old now. Most areas settle. Not Darndale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

shenanigan wrote: »
    Fred you are obsessed with SF. 5 out of the 8 threads started by you are about SF. Their recent rise in support must have you really scared! Just putting it out there!!!!

Absolutely nothing to do with this thread. Its a real failing in society when certain areas produce people like this. This is mainly due to problems such as addiction, lack of education, poverty etc. all in the control of the current government.

The "people like this" that you talk about are voting for your party SF. I guess you represent the thugs who did this? Wanting to defend them and make any excuse under the sun for them. Pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I'd be wondering did that young fella probably deserve whatever it was the gang were coming after him for. Probably a little bollox like the rest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 shenanigan

The "people like this" that you talk about are voting for your party SF. I guess you represent the thugs who did this? Wanting to defend them and make any excuse under the sun for them. Pathetic.

My party! Absolutely not I do not condone this type of behavior for one second. it is you that is generalising this issue and jumping to conclusions. Some would call that pathetic. I for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

I'd be wondering did that young fella probably deserve whatever it was the gang were coming after him for. Probably a little bollox like the rest of them.

No one deserves 30 people on them. What ever happened to a one on one straightener?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Anyone wanting to discuss a political party should post in the Politics forum, and anyone wanting to discuss Darndale needs to post in the Dublin City forum. This is a thread about an incident in Portmarnock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Telly wrote: »
    No one deserves 30 people on them. What ever happened to a one on one straightener?

No such thing as a one on one straightener these days. No such thing as a fight anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I'm aghast at the foolhardiness of those people who jumped into the fray to break it up or pull them off him. A gang like that would chop you in a second for much less. It is a pure wonder that no-body got knifed to death up there in that fracka.
    You should never get involved in fisticuffs with youths who are involved in knife culture. Their internal faction fighting is not worth getting slashed or chopped over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Breaking news: Poor people vote for change shocker.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Brian McDonagh seems very naive if he believed what he is quoted as saying in that article.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭collywobble7

If change = more social welfare then yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

They should try to educate themselves out of poverty and welfare instead of being scum all their lives

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Maybe the recently opened cycle way wasn't such a great idea after all.

Every year the residents of Portmarnock have to deal with the well heeled offspring of North county Dublin's upper towns making their way down on the Dart to the Velvet Strand for pre-arranged get togethers. It now looks like a new arterial route has been opened for the youths of Darndale to escape their natural habitat and into greener pastures.

Sounds Delightful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

A lot of NCD voted Sinn Fein because they are sick of the cronyism of the big parties, ya know jobs for the boys... Just sayin.

They built these massive estates with little thought or facilities. When they realised there was a problem they threw money around but never really tackled the family issues. Early intervention is key in a lot of areas where families need guidance and the most basic needs of families, speech and language you are lucky to get a small term of 4-6 appointments.
    There is no excuse for this thuggery but sure the cronys pals will give them a slap on the wrist for the 101st conviction. They might have zero respect but they were never shown any either.
    neris wrote: »
    Darndales a cesspit of the dregs & wasters in this city. Little vermin scum running wild and causing chaos all around the area.
    There are some very good people in Darndale. People doing their best for their kids but the attitudes towards them is awful. Until the minister for justice puts in place a proper force of Gardai to tackle areas it wont change, it will get worse and it is not just there it is West and South Dublin also and spreading.
    A few places in NCD had trouble last year. They seemed to use the train line and caused their trouble and moved on without any reprecussions for them or their parents.
    Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    This has been tolerated for decades at this stage. When someone with 100 previous convictions can walk out of court with a suspended sentence you can easily see how these guys feel they have nothing to fear from the authorities.

Darndale is 50 years old now. Most areas settle. Not Darndale.

Correct. It is like a badge of honour as to who has most convictions.

Until we come up with a plan to tackle the most basic issues it wont change. Starting off with more support for mothers when babies are born, some of the parents are very young and dropped out of school and have very basic literacy or coping skills which leads to all sorts of problems which get worse, toddler groups to help with hygine and diet, serious intervention in primary schools. I read something on this recently and early intervention is key and the continued support. We only get one or the other. (If I can find link I will post it)

The whole point is these teens running amuck are destroying places we live and made our home but we need to lobby TDs and councils rather than run them all into the ground. They aint all bad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Poor people should try change their lives themselves instead of waiting on the gubberment to do it all for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭collywobble7

Your whole post is the usual it's someone else's fault nonsense that only perpetuates this lifestyle. People need to take responsibility for their own actions and that of their children. There are plenty of supports available via social welfare already. There is only so much the government can do for people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Just to put into context, the feral teenage low lifes that come to Portmarnock every summer to create havoc are not local to the area.

I think the dogs in the street know that Darndale was a lost cause / basket case many years ago. The decent people moved out in the late 1980s to early 1990's under the £5,000 surrender grant scheme whereby they sold back their house to the council and moved into a private house.

This left a void in the social cohesion of estates like Darndale, so basically families were left with high rates of unemployment and social issues materialised , this is what happens when you have lack of educated people with no ambition in life living in a massive housing estate, e.g., dealing drugs, gangs, anti social behaviour, harassment, bullying by large groups of feral youths with no goals in life and no ambition.

Unfortunately a lot will end up in Mountjoy or join the club of being known to the Police with a PULSE number until end of life.

This youtube clip covers a lot of history to the estate, DCC based the estate layout plan on an estate in ANDOVER, Hampshire, UK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsbnKuv_Oe0

These problems are everywhere and becoming more and more common.

The Gardai seem to be fed up hearing about it. They've no powers to do anything about it, and even if they do manage to get anyone before a judge for some other charge, the judge gives them a wrist-slap and sends them on their way.

With a bit of legislative change and some mandatory minimum sentencing, I really do feel these problems would go away practically overnight. These thugs aren't as hard as they pretend. First sign of a Garda car and they're running for their lives, so it would make a huge difference if the Gardai were able to actually do something of worth.

The Hutch feud brought home to me how useless our criminal justice system is. Half of those guys wouldn't have been murdered if they had been in jail where they should have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭riddles

shenanigan wrote: »

And no bleedin facilities!

riddles wrote: »
    And no bleedin facilities!

That is not true. There are plenty of facilities

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    That is not true. There are plenty of facilities

Except they wreck them most of the time or damage them so that those who want to use them can't

Poor people should try change their lives themselves instead of waiting on the gubberment to do it all for them.
    Most people recognize they need help. If they were waiting on this Gubberment for anything they will be waiting.
    Your whole post is the usual it's someone else's fault nonsense that only perpetuates this lifestyle. People need to take responsibility for their own actions and that of their children. There are plenty of supports available via social welfare already. There is only so much the government can do for people

i I take it you mean my post? The blame has to lie at the door of various departments and of course some parents.
    Numerous agencies have failed as one social worker told me there is no joined up thinking. No proper road map, 10-15 year plan. Families get help then funding is withdrawn in favour of some pet project a minister has. This happens all over the country. Early intervention for basic health and mental issues are essential if any progress is to be made. We constantly hear of waiting lisds for children medical appointments and these are often missed because some parents cant plan and they need support to see things through. We do have a responsibility as a society to help vulnerable people I agree people have to take responsibility but they also need continuous support. A lot simply cant cope with basic problems
    These problems are everywhere and becoming more and more common.
    Yes these problems are everywhere and getting worse. Plenty of thugs in very well healed areas.
    The Gardai seem to be fed up hearing about it. They've no powers to do anything about it, and even if they do manage to get anyone before a judge for some other charge, the judge gives them a wrist-slap and sends them on their way.

With a bit of legislative change and some mandatory minimum sentencing, I really do feel these problems would go away practically overnight. These thugs aren't as hard as they pretend. First sign of a Garda car and they're running for their lives, so it would make a huge difference if the Gardai were able to actually do something of worth.

There has to be a minimum tariff of fines, boot camp or jail time. The judiciary have a role to play. Mind you there are plenty who will stand up and speak for these teens when they are before the courts. I have spoken to Gardai who go above and beyond to help with some kids and they are very frustrated with system also.
    I think another problem is the lack of visible garda presence day and night in trouble blackspots.

By ignoring these problems they wont go away. It has to be scary for people who are victims of anti-social behaviour, break ins, assaults etc.
    Does anyone know what the answer is? I say people in Gov could do a lot more. They have managed to turn other areas around so why not this area?

Except they wreck them most of the time or damage them so that those who want to use them can't

My friend works for a group in Darndale and they’ve loads of stuff going on for kids/teenagers. Once they get in with the wrong crowd they’re gone from the group. It’s very sad. There’s loads of money being spent on this kind of work but when the kids see the money the fellas a few yrs older than them are making to leave and join the gangs.

• Advertisement

Telly wrote: »
    My friend works for a group in Darndale and they’ve loads of stuff going on for kids/teenagers. Once they get in with the wrong crowd they’re gone from the group. It’s very sad. There’s loads of money being spent on this kind of work but when the kids see the money the fellas a few yrs older than them are making to leave and join the gangs.

This is why early intervention is so important. Education not only for kids but for parents is vital and a proper medical service.
    Lot of decent people in Darndale. The pressure the kids are put under is huge to join in gangs. Very difficult to say no when you see your family struggling and other kids with PS and xBox.

Advertisement