Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9 inch Hollow Block with internal Dry-lining but cold house

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Hi Guys - I suppose I have to ask now but what are these fire stop top and bottom?
    How can this be checked?
    I know an architect was involved back when this was built but that probably count for very little....

Here is the text from a supplier

Fix metal frame system/timber battens to the wall in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. Sections should be placed around all wall edges and around openings and services.

https://www.xtratherm.com/app/uploads/2018/11/100680-Xtratherm-Thin-R-XT%EF%80%A2TL-MF-v2.pdf

and
    Fire Stops
    An important factor when drylining a wall is to provide fire stops along the top and bottom of each board and around all openings (doors, windows, etc). These are provided by the battens and prevent fire penetrating behind the insulation layer. This also helps to prevent thermal looping, leading to an overall improved U-Value for the wall element.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Here is the text from a supplier

Fix metal frame system/timber battens to the wall in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. Sections should be placed around all wall edges and around openings and services.

https://www.xtratherm.com/app/uploads/2018/11/100680-Xtratherm-Thin-R-XT%EF%80%A2TL-MF-v2.pdf

Perfect. But he does not have metal struts or battens.

he has the good old tried and trusted (:eek: never to be seen again) dot'n'dab.

What should have been an asset to building construction methods at the time, was high strength adhesives, and silicone mastic, and expanding foam.

This introduction to the building trade threw proper construction methods clean out the window into the next county.

And along came the " have silicon gun" will travel brigade. Thats stuck, filled, and smooth finished every item in a house, quicker than you can say handy Andy.

And not much has changed at all.

I passed a local building site today, that has stack towered multiple pallets to wall plate height, in order to stand on them to roof an extension.

And numerous council vehicles passing these al day long, and no visit from anybody.

Dont get me started:confused:

Advertisement