Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was in a car accident and accepted liability. Should I have?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

Whocare wrote: »
    This car behind allway at fault is a bit joke. So if I was jobless and needed money I could go out slam on brake and put in sore neck claim

Well if people drove the correct distance behind the car in front then this wouldn't be an issue. Mental how many people refuse to do it.

The guy behind is at fault here but jesus Op, panicking like that is not good, are you a relatively new driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

mickdw wrote: »
    Its not nonsense. In examples where front car brake tests the one behind - i.e. slams on for no obvious reason, and where that kowledge is made available to a judge, it is likely a portion of blame will go each way.

How do you prove that? Without dashcam, it will be one word against another and no insurer is bringing the case in front of a judge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭McCrack

How do you prove that? Without dashcam, it will be one word against another and no insurer is bringing the case in front of a judge

Engage your brain

Direct evidence can be given/cross examination, witnesses, skid marks, damage

And yes defendants do plead fraud/creating an emergency and yes they can be successful either partially or fully

Stopping dead by slamming on the brakes on the road for no apparent good reason causing another car to crash into the rear is not a sure thing re liability the way some posters here think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Conte..

At the scene of the accident, accepting liability doesn't actually matter.

For example, if you got into an accident with someone, and they were being abusive, threatening, etc. you could accept liability just for a peaceful life and to calm the situation. but it wouldn't mean anything.

I would guess that unless they have dash cam footage of you reversing, they'll be deemed at fault. However, if you've ever had a claim before, and the other party says you stopped for no apparent reason, then the insurance company may become suspicious that you're a fraudulent party. Whether they'd take action or not, I'm unsure.

I had an accident investigator out a while back from the insurance co

I asked him about procedure after an accident and he said get all the details and not to admit liability

Dunno does it matter much though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

100 percent the other drivers fault. He should not be tail gating. What if a child ran out instead of u dropping a water bottle. You would have to slam on and he would have hit you aswell. That's why you always give sufficient distance to the car in front. There is an ethnic group in Ireland that do that on purpose to get compo out of other drivers. I no a victim of this scam. That's why you never drive up another cars arse. It's your word against his that you addmited liability. Did you get his insurance details? Did u take pictures?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

In general, if someome hits you from the rear, they are at fault however, this is a very specific case where you clearly caused the accident. I dont see that you should now turn around and lie about the facts. Id be spitting fire if i was the other party in this accident and you turned around and changed your story.

Its all right saying anyone must be able to stop but when someone slams on brakes to a standstill for no apparent reason, it will result in a crash in the majority of cases.

Can you give the list of specific cases where rearending someone is the fault of the driver in front? (btw, this isnt one of them)

"no apparent reason" is of no concern to you as the driver behind, you cant see what they can see. If Im only allowed stop when everyone behind me agrees with me then you are asking for pileups.

Deagol wrote: »
    You're correct - I've been in court where a driver admitted slamming brakes on as he saw someone he knew and wanted to offer them a lift. Person behind hit them and judge apportioned blame as 50/50; person behind should have been driving far enough back to stop but other driver should not have slammed brakes on for non-emergency situation.

If you remember doing your driving test - for the emergency braking portion of the test you are required to check your mirrors before carrying out the emergency braking procedure for exactly that reason.

OP - I suspect this will apply in your case.

It was an emergency situation, the OP was potentially about to lose control of the car.

GreeBo wrote: »
    It was an emergency situation, the OP was potentially about to lose control of the car.

Ya the op caused the emergency

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

McCrack wrote: »
    Engage your brain

k

My point is it's not getting to court to determine liability without strong physical evidence when it's a rear ender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Conte.. wrote: »
    Ya the op caused the emergency

Compounded by the idiot tailgating the OP. The rearender will be facing a hefty renewal quote for the next five years.
    He might learn to drive with more care and attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,470 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Engage your brain

And yes defendants do plead fraud/creating an emergency and yes they can be successful either partially or fully

Stopping dead by slamming on the brakes on the road for no apparent good reason causing another car to crash into the rear is not a sure thing re liability the way some posters here think
    Never actually happens........
    Why? Costs and law.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Admitting anything at the scene is advised against but I would imagine it's common. It's a traumatic experience, you're shook up and unless you've been in numerous crashes and have been through it all before, you're not thinking clearly. The insurance companies know this so I would imagine any conversation between you at the scene can be easily explained away in this situation.
    In a much more ambiguous scenario where it's very difficult to see what happened or who is at fault, it would be more important.

If you told the other driver how a bottle fell and the reasons for stopping suddenly though they might be able to argue that it was in fact your fault and attribute some blame to you but there's no point in guessing what's going to happen there.

The fact is, in this situation, there was an element of negligence on both ends. Slamming on the brakes like this was avoidable and dangerous, but, the other driver should have been able to stop regardless. Just let the insurance companies fight it out and focus on yourself. Easier said than done but it's what we pay them for. It's a very stressful experience and undoubtedly you'll be thinking about the situation and there will be a lot of what-ifs bouncing around your head. Try and forget about it, it's out of your hands now. You both walked away from it, hopefully without injury, so focus on that as it could have been much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,644 ✭✭✭chooseusername

You're correct - I've been in court where a driver admitted slamming brakes on as he saw someone he knew and wanted to offer them a lift. Person behind hit them and judge apportioned blame as 50/50; person behind should have been driving far enough back to stop but other driver should not have slammed brakes on for non-emergency situation.

If you remember doing your driving test - for the emergency braking portion of the test you are required to check your mirrors before carrying out the emergency braking procedure for exactly that reason.

In an emergency, the one second you take to check one mirror, your car
    will have travelled about 4 yds.at 30mph.
    I think that should be a fail.
    In a real emergency ie; someone steps into your path, then you do not
    signal, you do not check any mirrors, you stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭McCrack

kippy wrote: »
    Never actually happens........
    Why? Costs and law.

Well I'm a solicitor and I've seen it.. I've seen it pleaded in the defence and settlements adjusted accordingly or trials determined with a finding against the plaintiff

Well I'm a solicitor and I've seen it.. I've seen it pleaded in the defence and settlements adjusted accordingly or trials determined with a finding against the plaintiff

Must be dealing with significant sums of money.........

In my lessons and test, the instructor checked the mirrors and told me that he would only do it when safe.

In my lessons and test, the instructor checked the mirrors and told me that he would only do it when safe.

Because it's a test, in a test enviroment where nobody wants to get hurt/killed.
    The driving test does not simulate real driving conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

How often have you seen this happen and what relevance has this to the OP's scenario?

Directly relevant i would have thought.
    Car in front slams on brakes on a open road with no visible reason to do so, so from the following cars perspective, it was a brake test scenario.

Because it's a test, in a test enviroment where nobody wants to get hurt/killed.
    The driving test does not simulate real driving conditions.

I think perhaps you have misread my post?

Directly relevant i would have thought.
    Car in front slams on brakes on a open road with no visible reason to do so, so from the following cars perspective, it was a brake test scenario.
    Driver in front could have had to stop for any number of reasons. As far as the driver behind is concerned they were to close to them to react fast enough in time to stop. That unfortunately is on them.

• Advertisement

I think perhaps you have misread my post?

Maybe. Apologies if so.
    My point was/is what happens in the driving test is in no way a simulation of the driving environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,644 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Maybe. Apologies if so.
    My point was/is what happens in the driving test is in no way a simulation of the driving environment.
    Other than the fact you are driving a car on a road shared by other road-users.
    Road signs and traffic lights, and all kinds of everything.

I hope the other drive has a dash cam.

All the heros here think they have lightning fast reactions and it'll never happen to them but in reality it takes a second for someone to make YOU crash into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Just deny accepting liability. Report it to your insurance company, and if he says you accepted liability just say you don’t remember saying that.

Or say you did say it under duress because you felt intimidated and frightened by him as you felt he was showing extreme anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

Aside to the legal discussions. Are we not all coming across a little arrogant tut tutting the "tailgater". As drivers we should always have enough room to stop but as the op said the road was straight so even if you have enough space to stop when following a car they in all likelihood had a good view of the road also and could see no obstruction or reason to stop and could be in a passive mode (unlike say coming to a corner when it would be alert for danger). When the op slammed on the brakes (for no apparent reason to the car following) with the following car not on alert this would increase reaction times. It would also cause a brain delay due to perceived illogical behaviour.

In fairness there's always idiots tailgating with no intention of overtaking

Don't know why they do it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭josip

Dylan94 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. So it seems like from an insurance point of view it was his fault. Just going to tell the insurance company the truth and see how it plays out.

The insurance companies will probably play it out that you share liability so that both of you lose your NCBs.
    Win win, ka-ching ka-ching.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭fatalll

You should not have admitted full stop.

Maybe ye just both for yer own cars to be fixed end of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Any car rear ended at that kind of speed is more than likely a write off.

Just let your insurance deal with it. You are not liable, the other driver is. You pay insurance to have them look after it all. Just tell the other driver that they can deal with your insurer from now on.

• Advertisement

Any car rear ended at that kind of speed is more than likely a write off.

Just let your insurance deal with it. You are not liable, the other driver is. You pay insurance to have them look after it all. Just tell the other driver that they can deal with your insurer from now on.
    Why even tell them anything

Is there a need to instruct them

Advertisement