Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it true Whey is wasted if you drink it on its own

Options
  • 17-05-2020 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at all the different proteins on myprotein.ie and have read that Whey Isolate goes through your system so fast that if you drink it on its own then a good percentage gets wasted and you should only have it post workout , is this true. My protein also has a micellular protein and a protein blend which contains whey protein concentrate, whey isolate, hydrolysed whey, milk protein, micellar casein, calcium caseinate, and free range egg white powder. Im just wondering would it matter which one you would choose for a quick breakfast or midmeal shake?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    I'm looking at all the different proteins on myprotein.ie and have read that Whey Isolate goes through your system so fast that if you drink it on its own then a good percentage gets wasted and you should only have it post workout , is this true. My protein also has a micellular protein and a protein blend which contains whey protein concentrate, whey isolate, hydrolysed whey, milk protein, micellar casein, calcium caseinate, and free range egg white powder. Im just wondering would it matter which one you would choose for a quick breakfast or midmeal shake?

It's not true. Just get whatever whey has the most protein per 100g.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The answer is given in more detail here:

https://sigmanutrition.com/protein-faq/

You're getting bogged down in details that won't be the drivers of results. A whey with A high protein content will do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

No its not wasted. If you are only mixing the correct serving and timing it correctly its obv going to work better etc.

Obv its best timed with workouts. But it does do other normal functions of protein etc.

If you aren't training you prob don't need the extra calories though.

Choose a good quality one that you find palatable. Your body will still use it.

It also depends on the rest of your diet ..if your protein intake is already high ...and you aren't training ..its not necessary.

I agree with brian ...you have to get a powder with a high protein content.

Natural whey protein by bulk powders is 22g for 115 calories per serving.

35 g is thought to be how much the max body can take up per meal. That obv depends on how much you have eaten during the day.

Whey is in category A of the AIS rating system. Its actually one of the supplements that is evidence based and works when used correctly.

If you were having two servings at once ..i would say yeah ...that's a bit much. One serving isn't wasted.

Advertisement