Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plantar fasciitis

Options
  • 16-05-2020 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi
    Does anyone else suffer from plantar fasciitis and how do you treat it?
    Bloody thing flares up every time I haven't walked / ran for a while and then I can't get rid of it. 🙁

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

SnrInfant wrote: »
    Hi
    Bloody thing flares up every time I haven't walked / ran for a while and then I can't get rid of it. ðŸ™

Had it myself a few years back. Pain in the arse. Takes time to settle. I got one of those spiky balls and rolled it back and forth under my foot with tolerable pressure every day. Until you can get a ball try a can of beans or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭migozarad

SnrInfant wrote: »
    Hi
    Bloody thing flares up every time I haven't walked / ran for a while and then I can't get rid of it. ��
    +1 for usage of the spiky massage ball

Sorry to be boring and unoriginal but I had it a few weeks back and recovered through R.I.C.E. method (rest,ice,compress and elevate)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SnrInfant

Thanks guys, it annoys me that it flares up every time I get going into a good routine ��

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I am not a medical professional.

But any kind of foot roll. ( like over the ball/can etc) . Or even without one.

Wear the right footwear.

Stretch your calves arches and shins.

When its not active and it has settled down ..do exercises to strengthen the arches and calves. Heel raises etc. Also put a towel on the ground pick it up with your feet. Practice getting some mobility into your individual toes.

With the below stretch try and get your heel off the ground.

011618_SELF_2841.jpg
    h9991791_001_pi.jpg

Partner-Shin-Stretch.jpg

Also do ankle circles. Rotate your ankle in a circle.

You have to improve ankle mobility and strength too. As poor ankle mobility or strength causes you to land on the foot weirdly while running or turn the toe slightly in or out.

As you get tired it gets worse ...so when you run don't totally change your stride etc just make sure your feet are landing crazy etc. You can check the way you are landing by looking at the soles of the runners you train in. If they are more worn to the side etc on the outside of the shoe you are not landing evenly. If they are more worn on the heel you are landing on the heel. You don't be able to hold perfect form the entire run either it will be too tiring. But just every few mins ..try to keep an eye on it. You get stronger that way.

Also keeping your exercise routine constant. Warm up well really stretch the calves before running when you start again and do some hip and ankle mobility drills.

There are also some running drills to help the form in your lower legs that you can find on youtube. Its more about building up the strength and conditioning to hold that form for a while etc. Everyone is going to have poor form for a certain portion of their run as they tire even great runners. Just minimize it. As your body gets more conditioned it won't bother you as much.

Obviously don't do anything while its playing up. And get back in really really slowly. Constant but slow is how you build up the conditioning you lack.
    I hope this makes sense. Sorry if it doesn't help. :) I hope you get better.

Also here is the running forum :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=972

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Mod Note: Please see the charter, no medical advice allowed.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement