Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does everyone prefer houses over apartments?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Just sold my house and temporarily living in an apartment. My experience from the first few days which directly contrasts owning a house.

1. I can hear my neighbours talking and flushing the toilet.
    2. There is another door directly opposite mine which I can hear open and close every time they enter or leave their apartment.
    3. Takes me about 5 minutes to get from my apartment to my car.
    4. No garden, so need to go to the park
    5. And even if you own an apartment you need to pay a service charge every year which is not cheap.

May I ask where abouts this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭JDigweed

Apartments serve a purpose and that is mainly housing for young working couples/singles with no kids.
    In Ireland we don't design them properly for family living. My own experiences for example, the first property block had no elevator so it was a disaster trying to manage a buggy and small child up and down. The second property we lived in was fairly large but had no storage room or recreational spaces for children.
    The problem now is that families that should be moving onto the next phase of living in a house are stuck in apartments, the result being young singles/couples have nowhere to rent and are stuck with Mammy or staying in houses with partitioned rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Rotweiler

I believe both depends on "where" those are.

I lived in an apartment complex next to marlay park in Sandyford for over 2 years. Apart from some inconsiderate noisy bitches(Which I have dealth with) it was an amazing experience. All depends on the location and people. So there is no generalisation. But I hardly doubt that apartments that are too dense and/or those who only have the intention to put 1000 people in 1000 square metres in city centre for premium price are giving the same experience.(You know which apartments I talk about)

Another thing is fines. Fines fines fines. I can not stress this enough. I have travelled and lived in many parts of Europe and Ireland so far is the most lean on fines. I have seen nobody getting fined for: littering, dog poo, excessive noise, antisocial, double parking, parking on walkways, red light etc. Of course if you chase related departments for 2 months they will have a small fine but, fines are there to automate and feel disciplining. IF those fines are automated one day, you will see that living with people will become more bearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Qrt

it runs the risk of the external windows being hit and damaged by flapping zips or buttons leaving the fellow renters or owners with an increased mgmt bill to fix or replace the windows etc. It also is a noise nuisance to adjoining neighbours, and seeping water from clothes presents a draining problem on balconies or nuisance to neighbours below whose outdoor area is wet or stain damaged by seeping clothes.

I think this is the strangest thing I’ve ever read. What washing machine has clothes dripping wet after you take them out? And how would using a clothes horse damage the windows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Its not the norm and is banned in most appartment blocks for good reasons. It is unsightly, it runs the real risk of items of drying contraptions being blown down to street level and maiming someone or causing a car accident, it runs the risk of the external windows being hit and damaged by flapping zips or buttons leaving the fellow renters or owners with an increased mgmt bill to fix or replace the windows etc. It also is a noise nuisance to adjoining neighbours, and seeping water from clothes presents a draining problem on balconies or nuisance to neighbours below whose outdoor area is wet or stain damaged by seeping clothes.

Most civilised countries have common drying / storage with lines areas in the basements or block utility services - not here of course - far too
    much effort for the government to regulate or force builders to plan for.

It was the norm when I lived in Italy and Portugal. It was not uncommon when I lived in Paris.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,953 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Qrt wrote: »
    I think this is the strangest thing I’ve ever read. What washing machine has clothes dripping wet after you take them out? And how would using a clothes horse damage the windows?

This is why God invented spin cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I lived in a apartment with direct front door and now in a semi-d. Very similar to be honest.

Now if you lived in a detached house, that's the big difference

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

MattS1 wrote: »
    May I ask where abouts this is?

I'm in London, but the concept is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭CandyButcher

There needs to be a certificate rating brought in for noise proofing in apartments/terraced/semi d's in Ireland similar to BER. It is an absolute fúcking joke what some developers can get away with, and it's very hard to tell what a place will be like until you've lived in it a few months. I thought my place was fine for 6 months until somebody moved in to the vacant apartment upstairs.

That said it should only be brought in after I've sold my place...

Wow as I read all the comments about noise. Im at my withs end with noise of neighbours I have been screaming for noise regulations why isent this a thing ???? I viewed my duplex apt and in that hour viewingI didn’t hear much, bought it then all hell broke loose with noise and has depressed me the whole entire year I am here it’s awful and disgraceful how developers got away with it. Its like these apts are designed to have neighbours fight with each other. Chairs being dragged neighbors TV neighbors talking.. and the noise of them going up stairs doors slamming its a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Qrt wrote: »
    Originally Posted by JustAThought View Post
    it runs the risk of the external windows being hit and damaged by flapping zips or buttons leaving the fellow renters or owners with an increased mgmt bill to fix or replace the windows etc. It also is a noise nuisance to adjoining neighbours, and seeping water from clothes presents a draining problem on balconies or nuisance to neighbours below whose outdoor area is wet or stain damaged by seeping clothes.

I agree. Drying clothes outside should be encouraged. It is very green and reduces the chances of mould which is very common in apartments. I dont think zips can damage windows.

The good news is that there is now noise proofing required on all builds. Not always enough but it does help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Wow as I read all the comments about noise. Im at my withs end with noise of neighbours I have been screaming for noise regulations why isent this a thing ???? I viewed my duplex apt and in that hour viewingI didn’t hear much, bought it then all hell broke loose with noise and has depressed me the whole entire year I am here it’s awful and disgraceful how developers got away with it. Its like these apts are designed to have neighbours fight with each other. Chairs being dragged neighbors TV neighbors talking.. and the noise of them going up stairs doors slamming its a joke

Can I ask what area this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Many apartments have storage heaters.
    That's reason enough to hate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Stark wrote: »
    This is why God invented spin cycle.

I think you'll find that was Zanussi.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Del2005 wrote: »
    With a house you have a lot of maintenance in an apartment you have very little, yet have well maintained common areas. You get heating from the other apartments so don't need to use that much to keep your own place warm

My management fee is not much higher than home insurance, . There's feck all trouble in my development and no parking issues, apart from a few people parking from nearby semi-d housing estates.

Mostly it's just snobbism in Ireland about apartments. The dodgy building in the boom didn't help but there's plenty of badly built houses from the boom, noise is an issue in both types.

Dublin can't keep building out so we've got to stop building 3 bed semi's and start building apartments, every other country manages to live in apartments yet for some reason the Irish need to have a mansion in the middle of nowhere and demand all the services of living in an apartment

1) almost nobody living rurally is expecting the services a city apartment would have
    2) I absolutely agree we shouldn't be building any more 3 bed semi's inside the M50 , only apartments

for me personally its always been soundproofing and parking. Neither are very good in general in Irish apartments. Ive stayed in places in Germany where you can rent a garage at the bottom of the block and you'd have storage for a car or two and the soundproofing was so good you could probably have 10 people over for a party and nobody would hear a thing next door.

In Ireland you're lucky to get a parking space for anything bigger than a vw polo without your doors getting destroyed and there are threads every other week in here about people being driven mad by water pumps making noise through floors or neighbours installing wooden floors 'against the rules' and hearing them walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

F*ck that ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

If those neighbours are on your floor its the same as a semi detached. And on the other thread about semi detached houses right now theres much talk about noise from neighbours.

I might be lucky but the sound proofing in my apartment is so good the neighbour below me had to tell me he had a new child last week. She's about 2 months old. I only hear my only neighbours when I walk past their door.

Sometimes get noise from the coridor alright but I am at the end of the coridor.

Advertisement