Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting 3ph generator to 1ph

Options
  • 13-05-2020 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭

Got a small generator driven off a petrol engine.

I want to convert it from 3 phase to single phase.

What is the best way to go about this properly?

I've attached some photos so you can see what I have.

Comments

3 phase bridge rectifier and wind turbine inverter would do it...in theory..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

In theory, 3 site transformers can have their primary windings connected in star formation to the gen output, and secondary windings in series.

Output would probably be around 220v in that setup once the secondaries are at the right polarity relative to each other.

But its just a sort of experimental thought in the head, and the universe might implode.

What do you want to do this for?

Wow, that sounds expensive and inefficient...Hrmmm I never tested that can I run them backwards and make 460V theory...be right back...

Wow, that sounds expensive and inefficient...Hrmmm I never tested that can I run them backwards and make 460V theory...be right back...

I doubt it is practical, it was more for the laugh. One experiment I never tried, and there have been many.

If 3 site transformers were used to output 3 phase 110v, would that be inefficient?

I'm pretty confident the wind turbine inverter would do.

ROFL at dreams vs reatily post in other thread.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty confident the wind turbine inverter would do.
    Im sure it would. Im more curious what the application is.
    ROFL at dreams vs reatily post in other thread.

More about myself than anyone else I think

tooltime-more-power.jpg?w=302

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Plugged a 2.2kW kettle into it last night to test it and it was not able to boil the water.
    It is to be used to power a shed and also maybe a secondary one to provide some necessary power into house during an outage (that would be wired in by a spark - not me!).
    It will be used primarily for single phase items so the working theory is that converting to a single phase will be better for our needs.

Plugged a 2.2kW kettle into it last night to test it and it was not able to boil the water.
    It is to be used to power a shed and also maybe a secondary one to provide some necessary power into house during an outage (that would be wired in by a spark - not me!).
    It will be used primarily for single phase items so the working theory is that converting to a single phase will be better for our needs.

Maybe 3 of those kettles, 1 on each phase, would have worked better.

To convert to single phase, rectify and invert is the practical way. The same as a VSD does it for frequency varying, and sometimes single in, to 3 phase out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

About the only practical option is to replace the head with a single phase one.
    However, given the likely cost & hassle involved you'd be better off selling it & putting the proceeds towards a single phase set.
    If on the other hand you just want to be able to boil a kettle, get a 1500W caravan one & you should be set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Check the current you are getting out of it before anything. In the pictures you sent it says it is rated to 6KW so one phase should be enough for a kettle.

bob mcbob wrote: »
    Check the current you are getting out of it before anything. In the pictures you sent it says it is rated to 6KW so one phase should be enough for a kettle.

It should. But generators dont run as smoothly with 1 phase fully loaded and the other 2 with nothing.

The AVR on these is generally only monitoring one phase also & the rotor excitation applies to all 3 meaning a heavy load on one phase can lead to high voltages on the other 2 if they're lightly loaded.

Bruthal wrote: »

To convert to single phase, rectify and invert is the practical way. The same as a VSD does it for frequency varying, and sometimes single in, to 3 phase out.

I have access to 2 x 2.2kW kettles and a probably a 2kw hairdryer. That would be 6.4kW but if I turn hairdryer on low it should be okay for the limit.
    What would be different about that setup compare to just a single kettle on a single outlet - why would that boil when it won't on its own?

Is there a device which I wire in that can do this or is it a matter of fiddling about with the preexisting wiring?

air wrote: »
    The AVR on these is generally only monitoring one phase also & the rotor excitation applies to all 3 meaning a heavy load on one phase can lead to high voltages on the other 2 if they're lightly loaded.

The voltmeter was reading just shy of 300V when trying to boil the kettle.

Actually on second thought a turbine inverter won't work unless it's sooper cheep and nasty you'll have great difficulty getting past the anti-islanding.

If the set was working as it ought linking the outputs in delta and then transforming down would be the way forwards.

300V smells like AVR, proprietrary part on a smally, usually cheaper buy a new dino gobbler.

The voltmeter was reading just shy of 300V when trying to boil the kettle.

Does it read out from the phase you were trying to boil the kettle from though?
    My point on voltage regulation was more to point out the risk of possibly damaging equipment than in regard to your kettle experiments.

You really need a volt (& ideally current) meter on the outlet you're testing on to see what's going on.

It should boil on any of them but it might be worth trying the other outlets.
    The hair dryer on low would be better to start with since it's power is tbetter matched to the generator.

Has nobody else invented the three phase kettle? :confused:

air wrote: »
    Does it read out from the phase you were trying to boil the kettle from though?
    My point on voltage regulation was more to point out the risk of possibly damaging equipment than in regard to your kettle experiments.

You really need a volt (& ideally current) meter on the outlet you're testing on to see what's going on.

It should boil on any of them but it might be worth trying the other outlets.
    The hair dryer on low would be better to start with since it's power is tbetter matched to the generator.

I don'think think so. Will check later, but from recollection is sits around 400V unloaded and then when load is switched on it dips slightly.

Has nobody else invented the three phase kettle? :confused:

Three phase heating loads are not three phase in the same way a 3 phase motor is. They dont need the phase displacement to work.

But the point was that a fully loaded phase on a generator with the other 2 unloaded, wont run smoothly. Generators wouldnt last long run like that, especially as they get larger.

• Advertisement

Stage lighting tech Bruthal...I know what a grumpy set looks like. (Dances in resonance to the imbalanced sub woofer loading)

I have a three phase burco, one of a kind :p

Howyda melt a neutral? mathematically or with vector drawing.

Funkey Monkey the set is done....put a fork in her, she's a go-cart engine now.

It has never been used!

Stage lighting tech Bruthal

Thats what everyone says. Then they wire it wrong. Technical means nothing. 2 or 3 questions and no one knows the answer.
    Howyda melt a neutral? mathematically or with vector drawing
    With heat.

How d'ya wire a filament lamp wrong?

It has never been used!

I'd try looking for a replacement avr (usually cost prohibitive) or claim warranty.
    Smally gensets are not known for reliability.

How d'ya wire a filament lamp wrong?

I would say that is easier to wire than stage lighting anyway.

Too much current, a welding torch, nuclear fusion

Can you do it with phase imbalance because loadsa technicians say you can but can never draw or calculate it?

I just balance the set and then go feel the cables.

We don't wire things (officially) we only plug them in.

Can you do it with phase imbalance because loadsa technicians say you can but can never draw or calculate it?
    Did they ever do stage lighting?

• Advertisement

Can you tell from this if it is star or delta?
    It looks like star to me.

Advertisement