Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HELP!! (coffee extraction)

Options
  • 12-05-2020 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭

I've run out of the Illy supermarket coffee & I'm still waiting for my single wall baskets to arrive, so I'm still using the pressurised ones... The machine is a Bambino Plus with Sage Smart Grinder Pro.

I took my (once) fresh beans out of the freezer, left them defrost for a day & ground them at the preset Smart Pro settings... but have achieved zero extraction. No coifee comes out. Have tried the grinder grind size: 2; 6; 12; 18, I'm using the Razor Tool for dosing, but have also tried going by weight. Have tamped heavily & lightly... No liquid comes out.

I would appreciate if anyone could tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I've run out of the Illy supermarket coffee & I'm still waiting for my single wall baskets to arrive, so I'm still using the pressurised ones... The machine is a Bambino Plus with Sage Smart Grinder Pro.

I took my (once) fresh beans out of the freezer, left them defrost for a day & ground them at the preset Smart Pro settings... but have achieved zero extraction. No coifee comes out. Have tried the grinder grind size: 2; 6; 12; 18, I'm using the Razor Tool for dosing, but have also tried going by weight. Have tamped heavily & lightly... No liquid comes out.

I would appreciate if anyone could tell me what I'm doing wrong.

When you take the portafilter out, is the puck wet?

Dial your grinder back coarser, if you're still get nothing no drops at all it would indicate that the grind is still too fine to push through, but if you go coarser (to almost pourover) it should fly out of the portafilter. Is this the first time you've used the grinder? Take off the hopper, and you should see the top burr. On it there should be numbers, and a red dot. Usually from factory it's set to 5, but the problem is not all these grinders are calibrated correctly so it could in fact be grinding finer than some of the online suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

When you take the portafilter out, is the puck wet?

Dial your grinder back coarser, if you're still get nothing no drops at all it would indicate that the grind is still too fine to push through, but if you go coarser (to almost pourover) it should fly out of the portafilter. Is this the first time you've used the grinder? Take off the hopper, and you should see the top burr. On it there should be numbers, and a red dot. Usually from factory it's set to 5, but the problem is not all these grinders are calibrated correctly so it could in fact be grinding finer than some of the online suggestions.

Yes, first time using the grinder... I dailed it up to 28 & got an extraction... It wasn't a pleasant cup of coffee. I'm going to put the grinder on hold and get some more supermarket coffee in the meantime. Single wall baskets should arrive shortly and I'll give it another go when they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

I have a Sage grinder pro and have it set to grind for 18 seconds on grind setting 8 for espresso using my regular coffee (Fusion from artofcoffee.ie).

I have a Sage grinder pro and have it set to grind for 18 seconds on grind setting 8 for espresso using my regular coffee (Fusion from artofcoffee.ie).

Thanks, I'm using the pressurised baskets, so I don't think I'm going to ghet the right results. Have the other baskets arriving soon, so hopefully that'll sort things...

It's good to know other peoples grind settings... It's a minefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Thanks, I'm using the pressurised baskets, so I don't think I'm going to ghet the right results. Have the other baskets arriving soon, so hopefully that'll sort things...

It's good to know other peoples grind settings... It's a minefield.

I use the Sage for my Delonghi Dedica with pressurised basket (waiting on a unpressurised basket), has to be grind setting 20 or higher to get extraction, thats on SAM beans from Cloudpicker bought about a week after their roast dates and stored in a dark press, the odd time on those settings it still doesnt come out.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I'm also using Cloud Picker Sam... Sounds like you're using pressurised baskets too...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yes, first time using the grinder... I dailed it up to 28 & got an extraction... It wasn't a pleasant cup of coffee. I'm going to put the grinder on hold and get some more supermarket coffee in the meantime. Single wall baskets should arrive shortly and I'll give it another go when they do.

Likely that the coffee's too fresh compared to the supermarket coffee and needs a much coarser grind for the pressurised baskets. I'd say you're probably best waiting for the single wall baskets to avoid wasting any more expensive beans with the pressurised baskets, but even when you get them you might spend a bit of time running multiple shots trying to dial it in :)

Likely that the coffee's too fresh compared to the supermarket coffee and needs a much coarser grind for the pressurised baskets. I'd say you're probably best waiting for the single wall baskets to avoid wasting any more expensive beans with the pressurised baskets, but even when you get them you might spend a bit of time running multiple shots trying to dial it in :)

I think you're right

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Weigh each dose, choose a volume, say 16g and stick to it. That's one variable looked after.

Once you know how much your dosing adjust the grind until you get your required volume of espresso. Again, fix the volume you desire, say 45ml in 25sec.

Try and keep your coffee evenly distributed in the portafilter and your tamp consistent.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

What's a pressurised basket?

• Advertisement

Single wall baskets finally arrived today!

My first proper coffee was actually quite nice. I'm going to adjust my grind slightly, but impressed so far.

Single wall baskets finally arrived today!

My first proper coffee was actually quite nice. I'm going to adjust my grind slightly, but impressed so far.

What about the hole where the screw in portafilter was does it effect flow?

What about the hole where the screw in portafilter was does it effect flow?

Not sure I understand. Old basket pops out of the portafilter and new basket pops in. Very simple swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

Not that you need it now but you don't need to tamp with a pressurised basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

I have the sage bambino plus

I don't have a grinder yet but getting through coffee angel coffee quickly enough to not justify the outlay. First bag of coffee was ground espresso setting 1 in shop. The machine couldn't push through it. I had to reduce dose by a couple of grams and then run two double shot runs to get enough coffee out.

Second bag of coffee I explained the situation to coffee angel and they changed setting to 3 and it's working nicely now.

Out of curiosity I might pick up the non pressurised filters and try them with the finer grind. Can you tell me where you ordered from?

willabur wrote: »
    I have the sage bambino plus

I don't have a grinder yet but getting through coffee angel coffee quickly enough to not justify the outlay. First bag of coffee was ground espresso setting 1 in shop. The machine couldn't push through it. I had to reduce dose by a couple of grams and then run two double shot runs to get enough coffee out.

Second bag of coffee I explained the situation to coffee angel and they changed setting to 3 and it's working nicely now.

Out of curiosity I might pick up the non pressurised filters and try them with the finer grind. Can you tell me where you ordered from?

I had a very difficult time getting to them... Ordered from Sage originally, but they had to cancel the order because they were out of stock. I then got on to customer care and they were able to scrounge a non packaged pair and get them to me... But that's it until they restock, which is slow due to covid... I did find some on eBay in Australia... They are pretty much sold out worldwide.

Not sure I understand. Old basket pops out of the portafilter and new basket pops in. Very simple swap.

I read that you need to remove the plastic part for new basket to fit, it said that on comments for only one I could find that people said would fit, waiting for it to come from China. This one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01JRH3DMS/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_6AdVEb6A6THAM

I read that you need to remove the plastic part for new basket to fit, it said that on comments for only one I could find that people said would fit, waiting for it to come from China. This one.

You don't remove anything, they just fit in

Mine fit without the need to remove the plastic base from the portafilter. Some people say to keep it, others say dump it...

Mine fit without the need to remove the plastic base from the portafilter. Some people say to keep it, others say dump it...

It's a pity its so difficult sourcing those baskets, I ordered mine last week said mid to end of June delivery time.

• Advertisement

Yeah I've been considering that, I remove and clean mine fully every few days it gets manky if left

It's a pity its so difficult sourcing those baskets, I ordered mine last week said mid to end of June delivery time.

Amazon delivery times are crazy these days, don't need them, that's just worst case scenario. I've ordered stuff that was expected delivery the end of June and is already dispatched

Amazon delivery times are crazy these days, don't need them, that's just worst case scenario. I've ordered stuff that was expected delivery the end of June and is already dispatched

Said it was dispatched May 8th, don't believe them though, easy thing to say.

I just had a look at that link & it seems to be a 51mm basket... The Bambino takes a 54mm.. I'd double check that it's right.

Aghh... This is wrecking my head...

Yesterday, I got a good shot.
    Grind size 8, 17 seconds
    The basket was slightly over filled & the puc stuck to the head (but a nice enough shot).

Tried the same today, but dropped the grind time to 16.6 seconds... no extraction...

Increased the grind incrementally until I got an extraction at 14 grind size, but the shot wasn't good, infact it was far from drinkable.

I'm pulling my hair out... All fun though.

Have ordered a stash of Kaph blend, so hoping I don't waste too much of that.

I just had a look at that link & it seems to be a 51mm basket... The Bambino takes a 54mm.. I'd double check that it's right.

My mistake, I have a Dedica I thought baskets were the same as Bambino.

Grind size 8, 17 seconds
    The basket was slightly over filled & the puc stuck to the head (but a nice enough shot).

Tried the same today, but dropped the grind time to 16.6 seconds... no extraction...

Increased the grind incrementally until I got an extraction at 14 grind size, but the shot wasn't good, infact it was far from drinkable.

I have a different, cheaper machine but yeah its frustrating, sometimes 4/4 coffees extract sometimes one just drips a little bit or not at all, I have to grind at setting 20 and just fill the basket, I just tamp to flatten coffee (basically weight of tamper) if I press even a tiny bit harder nothing comes out, I wonder do even 1000 euro plus machines have this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

Grind size 8, 17 seconds

Are you weighing your input and output? Are you pulling doubles or singles?

Are you weighing your input and output? Are you pulling doubles or singles?

Brewing doubles. Going to reduce the quantity & lighter tamp. I've burned through a bag of coffee over the past few days, so waiting for a restock...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

58 mm would be the industry standard for the baskets,no problems of finding those...
    Ones you’ve got non pressurised basket you might be interesting in bottomless portafilter ( the easy way to learn how to pull perfect shots )
    Not sure if it is easy find for this particular product.

Advertisement