Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turkey Didn't Win!

Options
  • 11-05-2020 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭

Does anyone look back at the moment Ireland put forward a Turkey to represent Ireland in the Eurovision, and think why ohhhh why did we let ourselves down in such a monumental fashion. I felt like that at the time and I still feel that way now. What were they thinking!? I do feel Europe holds it against us(we totally disrespected the competition)and we'll never be treated fairly in the Eurovision again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,732 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I believe we had a top 10 finish since then.

Donna and joe were worse

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

RobertKK wrote: »

Yeah so we sent them again the next year, did that ever happen before or so nice that a country sent the same act twice in a row? l know Jonny has the two wins and all but has any act gone twice in a row ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

We will receive some sympathy along the way....but we'll never ever get what our entries deserve.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It was a bit of a kick in the nads to the competition. The arrogance of the crowd running Irelands entry to think that they couldn't put in an entry that wouldn't win it, unless it was pure scutter performed by a Turkey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Tork

There was me thinking Erdoğan had tried to do something

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

A woman with a chicken won a few years ago. She must have been inspired by Dustin.

Suckit wrote: »
    It was a bit of a kick in the nads to the competition. The arrogance of the crowd running Irelands entry to think that they couldn't put in an entry that wouldn't win it, unless it was pure scutter performed by a Turkey.

We had no reason to give the 'competition' a kick in the nads, Eurovision was very good and respectful towards Ireland for years on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I genuinely hadn't thought about it in any way in the time since

I genuinely hadn't thought about it in any way in the time since

I understand that totally. If you knew me you would never think I'd have such a hang-up about it either. But I'll never forget it,..it just stuck with me from the moment the turkey went on stage. So every year since I just know our scores no matter what will be terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Tork

I think we read the sending of Dustin in a different way to foreign audiences. Sometimes these novelty acts are so weird, they come across as something that has been lost in translation. What's funny in Serbia might not work once you leave the Balkans. Truth is, Ireland has sent a lot of mediocre songs since so they're their own worst enemy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

RTE couldn’t afford to host the competition if it was won, or so the top brass felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Vestiapx wrote: »
    Yeah so we sent them again the next year, did that ever happen before or so nice that a country sent the same act twice in a row? l know Jonny has the two wins and all but has any act gone twice in a row ?

Epic sax guy was on it twice although not 2 years in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

We had no reason to give the 'competition' a kick in the nads, Eurovision was very good and respectful towards Ireland for years on end.
    Yep. that's my point. The crowd in charge were just arrogant. If the excuse that was doing the rounds/rumoured at the time were true, there was a million better ways that they could have gone about it.

Tork wrote: »
    I think we read the sending of Dustin in a different way to foreign audiences. Sometimes these novelty acts are so weird, they come across as something that has been lost in translation. What's funny in Serbia might not work once you leave the Balkans. Truth is, Ireland has sent a lot of mediocre songs since so they're their own worst enemy.

Well I don't have a degree in how other nationalities think or how they determine disrespectful acts. But I think this was obviously disrespectful.

Suckit wrote: »
    Yep. that's my point. The crowd in charge were just arrogant. If the excuse that was doing the rounds/rumoured at the time were true, there was a million better ways that they could have gone about it.

Probably a young 'hip' crew, with little or no experience of real life..just bebo or something haha whatever it was at the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Now we know what our democracy is like, turkey's voting for Christmas and the Irish voting for a turkey to wing the Eurovision.

I wonder at times, I really do.
    I always felt different from the herd, a misfit, a round peg in a square hole...

I suppose I'm off the hooch nearly 20 year's I'm 44 now. And the decline in social intelligence and wisdom in Ireland is shocking, We've amazing talent here.
    I've heard solo singer's in bar's, great Folk singer's, we're renound for our creativity, story telling and vocal talents.

Society in the last 20 year's is dumbed down, watched my kid go from preschool to primary and secondary school... he's finished the other day.

The education system is ****, my geography in primary school was more advanced than secondary school now.
    History was similar...

Everyone is obsessed with themselves and narcissism is rife now, gee bag's doing coke every weekend and winging it as CEOs and office managers.

Back in the 80's and 90's we had cert course's for bar men and women, I hear now people learn how to pull a pint on their first evening.
    Believe you me I drank from 14 to 25 and I still see people pulling absolute piss into a glass with smears and warm pint glasses.

Sorry I'll have a lucozade in a pint glass with ice, the lack of condensation on the outside of the glass alone is a sign it's a warm pint glass.

If I go into a bar you no longer get that lovely smell of beer, it's just a sterile place smelling like a chemist.
    You no longer get the smell of piss which was all part of the experience when the gents Jax door opens. Instead you've Oisine running in every 5 minutes with a mop and bucket along with air freshener..

People in their 20's and 30's posing around and it's hard to figure out who's who because they're all dressed up the same

Oh how I miss the Oval in Cork city or the Donkeys Ears..

Hopefully after this people will learn values and have their feet more or less on the ground...

I'm back to work Wednesday, yeeehawww I've still got my public sector job...

Out with the chainsaws and climbing gear..

Can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I guess they thought it would be funny and a novelty and that Europe would latch onto it. As it turned out no one else really cared about our beloved Turkey, if only they had grown up with him they would have understood..

• Registered Users Posts: 85,474 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Dustin was robbed of victory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

It was the result of a vote on the Late Late as I recall. The Irish public are to blame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭hynesie08

He's had more number 1 albums in ireland than any other entry......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,073 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It was the result of a vote on the Late Late as I recall. The Irish public are to blame.

Yep, Dustin won by a landslide.
    It's a bit like the idea of Michael O'Leary for Minister for Finance.

People think it's a great idea, then they do it and realize it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

It's not possible for Ireland to win eurovision anymore, so may as well send a turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,168 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Does anyone look back at the moment Ireland put forward a Turkey to represent Ireland in the Eurovision, and think why ohhhh why did we let ourselves down in such a monumental fashion. I felt like that at the time and I still feel that way now. What were they thinking!? I do feel Europe holds it against us(we totally disrespected the competition)and we'll never be treated fairly in the Eurovision again.
    The Eurovision is decided by a public telephone poll each year.

You think people's voting decisions are swayed by their memory of one song that failed to progress from the semi-finals 12 years ago? I think you altogether overestimate the degree of interest the world takes in the history of Ireland's Eurovision entries. Most people outside Ireland have completely forgotten, if they ever knew, that this ever happened.

Can you name all the songs that performed worse that Dustin in Eurovision 2008? Can you name any of them? No, didn't think so. And yet they must have been truly awful, obviously, to be beaten by a hand-puppet lip-synching to a novelty song. How disrespectful is it to submit such dire entries to an international song competition? And they are all completely forgotten. So, outside Ireland, is Irelande douze points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

We were great when it was the Eurovision SONG Contest. Once it went to public vote and just Eurovision, it all went to ****e. Having a jury voting on a song first and the singer second (and the stage show at the end) was the way it was supposed to be. Now it's just populist crap on the same level as Big Brother, Made in Chelsea etc. The sooner it dies the better.

Vestiapx wrote: »

Didn’t yer one from Germany go back the year after she won it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

One good thing about the corona virus is that this utter shiite is cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

And it wasn't even a real turkey ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I find turkey to dry. I rather have chicken. KFC if you please, oh and some gravy too. Thanx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,887 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I guess they thought it would be funny and a novelty and that Europe would latch onto it. As it turned out no one else really cared about our beloved Turkey, if only they had grown up with him they would have understood..

Even if you had grown up watching the turkey, it was a performance about as funny as a dose of piles.

Advertisement