Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goal posts moved, media saying nothing

Options
  • 11-05-2020 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

I am very disturbed at the way the goal posts have been moved and the media are not asking questions, The whole reason for lockdown was to prevent the hospitals being overwhelmed, they are now 60/80% empty, the private hospitals taken over by the state are also empty, Now we are being told like innocent primary school children that we need to "beat the virus" and have numbers "as low as possible", You also have people going on about a second wave coming if we open up too soon when almost the entire population haven't even seen the first wave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

good first post:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Damian F wrote: »
    I am very disturbed at the way the goal posts have been moved and the media are not asking questions, The whole reason for lockdown was to prevent the hospitals being overwhelmed, they are now 60/80% empty, the private hospitals taken over by the state are also empty, Now we are being told like innocent primary school children that we need to "beat the virus" and have numbers "as low as possible", You also have people going on about a second wave coming if we open up too soon when almost the entire population haven't even seen the first wave.

We are still seeing over 200 cases a day for the most part, with fairly heavy social restrictions in place. Lifting them with the viruses apparent propensity for quick spreading is too soon according to the experts. Are they 80% empty, where did you see that number?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

totally agree, the hse - the crowd I wouldn't let run a bath are now running the country. A simple fact is we are going to have to learn to live with this virus until a vaccine or a way of controlling it is developed - I don't think they see it this way. There is no vaccine for TB,HIV or even the common cold - it takes years to bring a mass vaccine to the general population so we are better of it getting on with it. Social distancing and common sense are the new norm and is the only way forward imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

duffman13 wrote: »
    We are still seeing over 200 cases a day for the most part, with fairly heavy social restrictions in place. Lifting them with the viruses apparent propensity for quick spreading is too soon according to the experts. Are they 80% empty, where did you see that number?

I don't think there is a consensus from experts. Just look at Sweden.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

2u2me wrote: »
    I don't think there is a consensus from experts. Just look at Sweden.
    Most people are not looking at them. The game isn't over there yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Take a look at other countries, the second wave in South Korea and the guidance from other governments. You sound like you think Irish government is off on their own agenda they made up themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

is_that_so wrote: »
    Most people are not looking at them. The game isn't over there yet.

Of course, but it's not over for us either. What I don't see people factoring in is how many people will lose their lives /livelihoods because of this.

We 'allow' a certain amount of deaths on the road every year. Why? Because the prospect of people losings their jobs, their homes, their livelihoods could lead to greater loss of life.

What number of corona virus deaths is acceptable? If it was 0.01% fatality rate, should we re-open with as many measures as we can?

Surely there is a number, what is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

There is no vaccine for TB

Apart from the BCG

• Registered Users Posts: 45,356 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

yeah, we should have done nothing and just found out if the HSE and Hospitals could have coped.

Whats the worst that could have happened?

Pfft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Seve OB wrote: »
    good first post:rolleyes:

So cringe.

What does post count matter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Damian F

yeah, we should have done nothing and just found out if the HSE and Hospitals could have coped.

Whats the worst that could have happened?

Pfft.

Who said anything about nothing???? We did what we were told, we Flattend the curve, we didn't become Italy. The point is the politicians and media are now pretending that we can need to have zero cases to have any sort of normal life

Are they 80% empty, where did you see that number?

RTE and local radio stations. Example RTE RNAG reported the uchg is currently 70% empty

pinktoe wrote: »
    Apart from the BCG
    BCG is effective at preventing disease in infants but NOT as effective in TB in adults, particularly in the developed world .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

RTE and local radio statio.

When?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

BCG is effective at preventing disease in infants but NOT as effective in TB in adults, particularly in the developed world .

So there is a vaccine. Not a 100% effective one, but a vaccine nonetheless.

To be fair, while there is not a vaccine for HIV, there is very effective treatment that has stopped it being a deadly disease.

There isn't any money in finding an effective vaccine for the common cold because its impact on people isn't sufficiently serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

General population won't give a fcuk until the covid payments and loan forbearance measures are gone. If you're restricted from working and getting letters from the bank about missed mortgage payments the mood will change very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Irish government playing it well thus far.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

The same people moaning about the restrictions staying in place would be the same crying the "the Govt think we are expendable" if they lifted them this week and we had a spike in cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Kilkenny by all accounts has 2 people in ICU...

brokensoul wrote: »
    So there is a vaccine. Not a 100% effective one, but a vaccine nonetheless.

To be fair, while there is not a vaccine for HIV, there is very effective treatment that has stopped it being a deadly disease.

There isn't any money in finding an effective vaccine for the common cold because its impact on people isn't sufficiently serious.

corona , sars , mers, common cold are all the same family and there is no vaccine and if they do get one it will be at least 18 months away, hopefully there will be an effective treatment before then but it could be a yar away at least as well. Just think we are going to have to live with it till then, common sense, masks, hygiene and social distancing as the new normal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

8-10 wrote: »
    Take a look at other countries, the second wave in South Korea and the guidance from other governments. You sound like you think Irish government is off on their own agenda they made up themselves

What 2nd wave in South Korea, do you mean the 34 cases they had yesterday.

niallo27 wrote: »
    What 2nd wave in South Korea, do you mean the 34 cases they had yesterday.

It seems to me that the inevitable increase in cases once things start to reopen has been rebranded "a second wave".

A lot of the general public seem to think that staying at home for weeks or months is going to make the virus go away, it is a major failure of the media and politicians for not explaining that this isn't how viruses like this work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Jizique

NSAman wrote: »
    Kilkenny by all accounts has 2 people in ICU...

I heard today that Beaumont has 2 in ICU - and this was the busiest hospital a couple of weeks ago.
    I also know a doc who was drafted into an ICU 3-4 weeks ago, but is now back at their regular job as they are no longer needed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

corona , sars , mers, common cold are all the same family and there is no vaccine.........
    First 3 are Coronaviruses, the last is a Rhinovirus.
    So NOT the same family.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,767 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We set out to flatten the curve. We've done that and continue to do it. The restrictions will be lifted when there is a view that the curve will not ramp up again. Nothing whatsoever to do with moving any goalposts. I personally would prefer the restrictions to be lifted sooner, but equally I'm no expert, and I prefer them to err on the side of caution for everyone's benefit

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

totally agree, the hse - the crowd I wouldn't let run a bath are now running the country. A simple fact is we are going to have to learn to live with this virus until a vaccine or a way of controlling it is developed - I don't think they see it this way. There is no vaccine for TB,HIV or even the common cold - it takes years to bring a mass vaccine to the general population so we are better of it getting on with it. Social distancing and common sense are the new norm and is the only way forward imo.
    TB vaccine = Bacillus Calmette-Guérin vaccine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Beasty wrote: »
    We set out to flatten the curve. We've done that and continue to do it. The restrictions will be lifted when there is a view that the curve will not ramp up again. Nothing whatsoever to do with moving any goalposts. I personally would prefer the restrictions to be lifted sooner, but equally I'm no expert, and I prefer them to err on the side of caution for everyone's benefit

My concern is governance, accountability and transparency. They are getting a huge amount wrong that is going under the radar. Testing return times and tracing are still all over the place. They completely dropped the ball on nursing homes and care homes, and overall have been pretty slow to tackle issues but great at monitoring how many people are on buses and carrying out behavioural studies. Not to mention the ongoing issue of advice in masks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The money running out will dictate how quickly we will open up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,496 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The money running out will dictate how quickly we will open up.

There's nothing to run out, just endless money creation and hope that the system doesn't collapse and that we don't have runaway inflation afterwards. It's also effectively, widespread transfer of wealth and risk from the young generation (who are mostly unaffected) to the older generation.

Advertisement