Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What if Dublin was an independent city-state?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

unhappys10 wrote: »
    Can we put dynamite along the border and blow it off into the sea?

The lost city of Antolantis.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,568 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Monaghan will finally win the AI ;(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

Zebra3 wrote: »
    What if?

The rest of the country would collapse.

We'd be alright once we take your money in exchange for some water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

Didn't Brian Boru fight Dublin Vikings. Yeah, Dubs were always a different breed to the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

I wonder how long it would be before the Great Independent City State of Dublin, joined the UK?

• Advertisement

A lot of people don’t realise but there quite a lot of farms in Dublin actually

That would be County Dublin, not Dublin City.

The only farms in Dublin city are the likes of Anto's cannibis farm in his attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

cj maxx wrote: »
    May the odds be ever in your favour

cj maxx wrote: »

We always crumble on the first day we get into Croke Park. Anything in Ulster (well maybe with the exception of Tyrone) is fine, but going into Dublin is always a mental blocker for our lads. But they're a good squad!

But seriously, this couldn't be any worse than that Mayo team. Seriously what is up with them lads. They should have won the All Ireland by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The only farms in Dublin city are the likes of Anto's cannibis farm in his attic.

Theres a farm in Drumcondra, owned by the Archbishop I think. You see the tractor on the main airport road the odd time. North county Dublin has the best climate for growing veg anywhere in the country, the Met station at the airport records the lowest rainfall of all their country wide weather stations. Its also the weather station the bookies rely on for white Christmas bets cause they know theres never snow at that station on Christmas day.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Theres a farm in Drumcondra, owned by the Archbishop I think. You see the tractor on the main airport road the odd time. North county Dublin has the best climate for growing veg anywhere in the country, the Met station at the airport records the lowest rainfall of all their country wide weather stations. Its also the weather station the bookies rely on for white Christmas bets cause they know theres never snow at that station on Christmas day.

Didn't know about the Archbishops farm, hopefully that would keep the whole city going. And it would be consistent with the premise of the OP.

The rest would be County Dublin, and after being a manager with Keelings in a former life and Dublin Meath Growers I already knew north county Dublin was well suited to growing fruit (not necessarily veg), but not the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

There’s a field of sheep in ballymount industrial estate

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Didn't know about the Archbishops farm, hopefully that would keep the whole city going.

lol not at all. But Dublin has control of the main port, without it theres no Cornflakes for the rest of the country

lol not at all. But Dublin has control of the main port, without it theres no Cornflakes for the rest of the country

To the UK, which is one of our biggest export markets.............for now.

With Brexit coming, Rosslare/ New Ross is looking good.

And the USA......Shannon airPORT.

The deep channels of the South West could be better develpoped to take deep draught ocean going ships like the port of Rotterdam.

Which brings me back to my earlier post
    I wonder how long it would be before the Great Independent City State of Dublin joined the UK?

The more this thread goes on, the more appealing the idea seems. It could even satisfy some of our northern brethren that have issues with rule from Dublin.

This island could once be again a 32 county (and one City State/ Principality with Bono as head of state) nation once again

Does anyone know if there is an online petition I could sign. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Citroen2cv wrote: »
    And Dublin would starve.

I don't eat beef or dairy, and 45% of Irish veg are grown in Dublin

I don't eat beef or dairy, and 45% of Irish veg are grown in Dublin

In the proposed circumstances of devolution, 45% of Dubliners would eat you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

And Dublin would starve.

Not really.

Trade would continue as before.

Sorry to shatter your dreams. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭its_steve116

That's interesting, whereabouts in Drumcondra is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

A lot of people don’t realise but there quite a lot of farms in Dublin actually

Would they still have to import Bulgarians to do the farm work or would the Dubs develop a liking for work?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Edgware wrote: »
    Would they still have to import Bulgarians to do the farm work or would the Dubs develop a liking for work?

We'd still get our Bulgarians in and country folk would still fly in their Brazilians and Polish to work in the meat factories

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Don't forget Roy Keane the poster boy for anger management
    I laughed. :)
    A chip van without the van.

• Advertisement

There is an element of headquarteting happening in Ireland. For eg the ESB head office - would it and the associated jobs stay in Dublin, would they be split? The same for say civil service jobs and health jobs.
    The goods would flow fine, the arguments would like the intra EU ones - Dublin is competing unfairly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

So no united Ireland then?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭chosen1

That's interesting, whereabouts in Drumcondra is it?

Don't know if it's the same place but I was playing a match in Stella Maris once and a herd of cows walked over behind the pitch.

Unusual sight for there to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,732 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It was reported a few years ago that only 5 counties in Ireland produced more revenue than they received back from the state.
    Dublin, Cork, Kilkenny were three of them and I can't remember the other two, but maybe more now produce more revenue than they receive, pre-covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

unhappys10 wrote: »
    Can we put dynamite along the border and blow it off into the sea?

If and when that technology is developed, Northern Ireland will probably be the first province to be cast off to fend for itself. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

RobertKK wrote: »
    It was reported a few years ago that only 5 counties in Ireland produced more revenue than they received back from the state.
    Dublin, Cork, Kilkenny were three of them and I can't remember the other two, but maybe more now produce more revenue than they receive, pre-covid.
    I tried to google about that. I wish I could find out more though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I tried to google about that. I wish I could find out more though.

Kerry /Galway for tourism and maybe Galway or Westmeath after that. Lots of tourists in Galway and lots of Pharma manufacturing in Westmeath.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭cgcsb

And Dublin would starve.

Yes, all the other City states in the world, Hong Kong, Singapore, Monaco, Luxumberg etc. a long list of famines. Sure those places are empty now save for the emaciated corpses. :rolleyes:

And he's shagging Jacinta every day and all. They have about 30 children now - Man, I think the state's social welfare system is about to collapse.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Another sh1t thread on Boards.ie some people are really scraping the bottom of the barrel these day's...

Dublin becoming independent, sure us country people would be lost without Dublin, no I think we need Dublin to show us all how it's done.

We're all like Neanderthals outside Dublin, wild free and ferral... we're need to be assimilated into what our overlord's want, for our own good yaw...

Actually throw that Idea out of the cave window, we'll be fine here...

As I drag my knuckles behind me...

Advertisement