Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protein Supplement - Where to buy / What to Buy

Options
  • 10-05-2020 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭

Hey

Sorry if this has been done a million times before but I’m trying really hard to build muscle and I just seem to be losing weight.

Have a fairly good weight (dumbbell / kettlebell) workout and do a lot of cardio (maybe too much) but no noticeable gains.

Diet is ok but I know I’m not hitting anywhere near protein I should be getting. I don’t feel I can get in any more meat / eggs.

There’s so much protein powders out there so any advice on the best in market and where to get it would be great. I’m about 150lbs. How much or what should I be looking for in powder content / ingredients.

Anything else to help muscle growth? Creatine?

Thanks for all useful advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Whey with a good protein content. Get good value on Bulk Powders or MyProtein. A 30g scoop gives ~ 23g protein.

As for creatine, it would help fuel workouts and no harm in it.

Other than that, calories help muscle growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Whey with a good protein content. Get good value on Bulk Powders or MyProtein. A 30g scoop gives ~ 23g protein.

As for creatine, it would help fuel workouts and no harm in it.

Other than that, calories help muscle growth.

Thanks for that. Will research on MyProtein.

I find I’m either burning too many calories or not eating enough, though I’d never be hungry enough really to get more in.

PopTarts wrote: »

I find I’m either burning too many calories or not eating enough, though I’d never be hungry enough really to get more in.

Look at more calorie dense foods. If your calorie intake is too low and eating a greater volume food isn't palatable, then look at some more calorie dense foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Look at more calorie dense foods. If your calorie intake is too low and eating a greater volume food isn't palatable, then look at some more calorie dense foods.

Thanks for that - will do. Might need to just eat more often too and go with a meal every 3 hours.

Looking at these on protein works

https://ie.theproteinworks.com/tpw-100-whey-extreme

https://ie.theproteinworks.com/creatine-extreme

Thanks for that - will do. Might need to just eat more often too and go with a meal every 3 hours.

You'll be paying a premium for something you don't need with those. The additional that adds the 'extreme' to the name is unnecessary and not worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Alf has pretty much given you all the advice you need :)

You'll get good value, good quality whey protein on bulk powders and myprotein. You don't need any 'sexier' protein powders that promise extreme gainz.

In terms of calorie dense foods, nut butter is my favourite!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

Sorry to hijack but OP has gotten the response they needed and this is somewhat on topic re: building muscle...

One of the most asked questions online so plenty of resources out there, but I lurk here a lot and I trust you lot more than I do the likes of Quora and Reddit :)

About 3 stone overweight.
    Not strong by any means, not much muscle.
    Want to build muscle and have been doing a lot of weights in past 6 months.
    Don't hit my protein targets with normal meals so supplement it with whey shakes.

How can someone build muscle while trying to keep their calories in a deficit? Is it a losing battle and better to just focus on losing the weight (calorie deficit) and then try pile on the muscle (calorie surplus, albeit smarter than the calorie surplus that left me overweight to begin with :pac: )....?

TJ Mackie wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack but OP has gotten the response they needed and this is somewhat on topic re: building muscle...

One of the most asked questions online so plenty of resources out there, but I lurk here a lot and I trust you lot more than I do the likes of Quora and Reddit :)

About 3 stone overweight.
    Not strong by any means, not much muscle.
    Want to build muscle and have been doing a lot of weights in past 6 months.
    Don't hit my protein targets with normal meals so supplement it with whey shakes.

How can someone build muscle while trying to keep their calories in a deficit? Is it a losing battle and better to just focus on losing the weight (calorie deficit) and then try pile on the muscle (calorie surplus, albeit smarter than the calorie surplus that left me overweight to begin with :pac: )....?

You can add muscle and burn fat at the same time but practically it's more effective to focus on the fat loss (while getting enough protein on board and providing the training stimulus to at least hold muscle. Then put the focus on building muscle when you get the fat down sufficiently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Cill94

Not much to add re: the protein info, but just thought I'd chime in on this one point.

You can't wait for your body to tell you you're hungry - it wants to maintain homeostasis and stay the same weight.

When you're eating enough calories, there's going to be at least one meal per day where you feel like you need to force the food down. Shakes can certainly help with this, but the point is just don't expect to always want to eat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Discount Supplements I've found very competitive, I even priced around a few UK supplement shops and ones up in the North and they were actually better on price.

• Advertisement
Advertisement