Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Inland waterways - internet

• 09-05-2020 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭

I know it's a massively broad question but how good have people found the 3g network on the inland waterways? Good enough to work remotely?
    I'm sure most towns would have somewhere you could pick up WiFi if stuck?
    Is there anything you can buy to get better 3g signal on a boat?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I'm on Lough Ree and have no problem using my phone with "Three unlimited broadband" as a hotspot to constantly upload my sonar readings also using an iPad and for watching TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Alkers wrote: »
    I know it's a massively broad question but how good have people found the 3g network on the inland waterways? Good enough to work remotely?
    I'm sure most towns would have somewhere you could pick up WiFi if stuck?
    Is there anything you can buy to get better 3g signal on a boat?

You wont pick up wifi, I doubt there are any access points anywhere.

I'd say for the most part you will pick up good 3g/4g.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭Alkers

You wont pick up wifi, I doubt there are any access points anywhere.

I'd say for the most part you will pick up good 3g/4g.

I get that on the actual water but I meant that most towns might have somewhere nearby that WiFi was available if cell reception was poor

Alkers wrote: »
    I get that on the actual water but I meant that most towns might have somewhere nearby that WiFi was available if cell reception was poor

Ah yes, some shops/cafes may have a free wifi network.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I can pick up "Sean's bar" when I'm in Athlone. :D

• Advertisement

fergal.b wrote: »
    I can pick up "Sean's bar" when I'm in Athlone. :D

Do they give out free pints with every website visited?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Acres lake, excellent signal.
    L Key forest park, v poor/none.

Advertisement