Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is the countryside better than people think

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,122 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

My grandfather's house is in Laois. We used to go down there for the holidays. A nice spot, and I could easily live there, but the geniuses involved stopped the fibre broadband a hundred yards short of the local school, which is across the road from our house.

Crappy broadband would be the deal killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭ablelocks

spurious wrote: »
    My grandfather's house is in Laois. We used to go down there for the holidays. A nice spot, and I could easily live there, but the geniuses involved stopped the fibre broadband a hundred yards short of the local school, which is across the road from our house.

Crappy broadband would be the deal killer.

would ye not dig a trench as far as the pole and get them to cable it from there for both the school and the house? I've ftth, but I'm about 150 metres from the pole with the fibre box. I'd get on to Eir networks to talk to them about it - they were very good to our community in situations like that - and so were the sub-contractors KN Group or whatever they're called now.

every day I thank our lucky stars that ftth was brought to our area.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,790 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'm fine with either and lived in both, one drawback with town or city living is being cheek by jowl with arsehole neighbours, like party animal students, and not being able to do much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Spent time in the countryside, towns and Dublin city. Wouldn't live in Dublin city again for any money. Just outside a big town, as I am now, is the perfect mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I couldn't live in the country - at least not at this stage in my life - but I really love spending time there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Portmanteau

I grew up in the country but only six/seven miles from Cork city, so it was sorta partially suburban. Ideal really. Boring in winter for my teen years all right, but otherwise a really nice environment in which to grow up. And wonderful in the summer.

Not that I'd like either, but if I had to choose between really remote and really built-up, I'd choose the latter. For convenience and security.

I live in a quiet suburb which is lovely, but if I could afford it I'd move somewhere a bit more rural.

I think the pandemic will make people more interested in living in the country all right.

Advertisement