Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Walrus - Prepare to be Triggered - The Reveal

Options
  • 09-05-2020 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭

At Long Last....

Bear in mind this will be a bit drawn out as work/life is currently hectic, The scores and places have been counted for the first category and i am hoping to get the first reveal done this weekend/early next week.

My current most played song is below which may or may not give ye an indication of how well you place :D

Firstly lets remind ourselves of the Categories:
    1.Song you would like to hear again for the very first time

2.The lyrical beast
    I'm a big fan of Lyrics that have meanings in songs, so I want you to give me a song that has given you an emotion through the words. This could be anger, joy, sadness or dispair, anything really.

3.Classic Rock Anthem/Ballad
    I have progressed steadily through different genre's when rehabilitating starting with Acoustic songs. Rock and Indie Rock being my two favourite with my new Ear give me a Classic that will make me smile.

4. 00's club hits
    This was the only form of music I could hear, albeit in nightclubs, I was big into the club scene from my late teens until my late twenties. Basically the whole of the Naughies. Give me your favourite club track during that time
    Edit: Understandably plenty of people would not have experienced this scene, and while I would prefer the above, you can give me a your favourite song from the Naughties that you would dance to in an event/pub/gig something that gets you up from the table to the dancefloor. None of this dancing in front of the mirror stuff

5. Wildcard
    Give me anything.. One piece of advice, Metal is a no-no and will instantly be marked down as I havent got the ability to listen to it at the moment

We have 23 Entries, who are listed below:
    sKeith
    Lassykk
    Necro
    Statutory Ape
    Also Staring LeVar Burton
    Hello 2D Person Below
    Homer J. Fong
    Gru
    Irish Aris
    Green&Red
    Phatkev
    Sawduck
    ShaneU
    Baggly
    Barney92
    Tusk
    Beakerjoe
    Electric Nitwit
    Three More Big Sleeps
    FixXxer
    Osh
    Stu Redman
    Rikand

The First reveal will be for

Song you would like to hear again for the very first time

This did not disappoint! Chat amongst yourselves while i prepare the final touches

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Whoop! Whoop! Walrus!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,026 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

pretty sure i missed this thread.

Saw the OP and just had to post the below song: eddie vedder is such an awesome singer, so distinctive. If you're not interested, just skip on to about 3.40, thats what meeting your icon looks like!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Right so lets get going, it will be a staggered reveal, going to do 5 at a time whenever i get some free time throughout the weekend, going to go old school and start with the bottom up. So........

In Last place and 1 point its
    BeakerJoe
    Sexy Boy – Jim Johnson WWE

Really? A Song that you would like to hear again for the first time? Sexy Boy? Are you trying to tell us something? :pac: I was a fan of WWE back in the day alright and really laughed when I seen this submitted. Its not actually the worst. The voice is good but nope! Stop! Turn it off! I’m half way through here and want to throw my implant across the room :pac:

In 22nd place and 2 points its
    Hello 2D
    Man in Black – Johnny Cash

Yeah not a fan of aul Johnny. I would happily never listen to this again. Its just forgetful for me. Lyrically its decent and has meaning but sorry not for me.

In 21st place and 3 points its
    EN
    Paranoid Android - Radiohead

Starts of nicely, then the singing starts, Its tough on the aul ears this. Very hard to make out anything. Thought it might be a bit easier as the song goes on but unfortunately not, I do like some of the music though. Another that’s not really for me.

• Advertisement

In 20th place and 4 points its
    ShaneU
    Someday – The Strokes

I don’t know what it is about it, the music is overwhelming and its difficult even with the lyrics beside me, not a fan of the singers voice either. Can see why it would be liked alright but Not a fav for me

In 19th place and 5 points its
    Barney92
    Baba Yetu – Christopher Tin, Soweto Gospel Choir

I have no idea what is happening right now! Lovely tune to it but jaysus what language is that! Marked up for the absolute beautiful music though.

So the bottom 5 quickly out while the young lad eats his Breakfast. Back later for some more. maybe :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Oh, the reveal's starting! Great, I've got a good feeling about this one... :)

Trigger wrote: »
    In 21st place and 3 points its EN Paranoid Android - Radiohead
    giphy.gif

Its tough on the aul ears this. Very hard to make out anything
    You say it like it's a bad thing :p

Oh, the reveal's starting! Great, I've got a good feeling about this one... :)

giphy.gif

You say it like it's a bad thing :p

It's just one of those things with me unfortunately, like there could be other songs that are worse but I'd have no problem making them out. I'll definitely keep listening to it though, because that's the only way I will train my brain to hear it properly

• Advertisement

It's just one of those things with me unfortunately

Ah, I know you'll make it to me. And it'll make my victory all the more sweet ;)

I do get that there's elements that could be described as just noise. That's kind of why I picked it - a lot of what I listen to now is in a similar style, and I think I can trace it back to the first time I heard Paranoid Android, it opened up my musical landscape

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Ah, I know you'll make it to me. And it'll make my victory all the more sweet ;)

I do get that there's elements that could be described as just noise. That's kind of why I picked it - a lot of what I listen to now is in a similar style, and I think I can trace it back to the first time I heard Paranoid Android, it opened up my musical landscape hellscape

fyp

Ah sure I'll do another quick fire 5 now, dont think I'll get a chance to do more till this evening then

fixXxer wrote: »
    hellscape

blacklogo1.jpg

;)

In 18th place and 6 points its
    Necro
    Like a stone - Audioslave

I’ll be honest here, I really struggled to get into this and make it out, I just don’t couldn’t get the lyrics without checking them up, some parts of very high notes sound wise was really difficult for me. The more I listened to it the more it grew on me. It’s a decent song, just wouldn’t be my thing

In 17th place and 7 points its
    Three More Big Sleeps
    Spanish Train – Chris DeBurgh

He has a very distinctive voice doesn’t he, I think he is one of those that there is no in between with him. I’m not a fan of his style, though the song is lovely.

In 16th place and 8 points its
    Osh
    Teen Age Riot – Sonic Youth

Lovely soft intro, and then change. I like Thurston Moore’s voice, yeah it’s a nice bit of vocal, even though the music is overpowering his voice is clear enough to make out. It’s a decent track. Wouldn’t be going out of my way to listen to it but if it came on, I wouldn’t skip it.

In 15th place and 9 points its
    LeVar
    Not Enough – Our Lady Peace

Really like the lyrics in this one, just the singers voice is a bit grating after a while. A solid song, that has given me a bit of interest in Our Lady Peace, I’ll be checking them out after this. Just not enough to push it up the table.

In 14th place and 10 points its
    G&R
    Wake up – Arcade Fire

From the start you think you know what you are going to get. Then the lyrics come, the singers voice is very soothing against the beat. They go together perfectly. Nice choice, I just think its up against it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

OLP did Chris Benoits intro music. Don't think they play it any more though after what happened.

• Advertisement

fixXxer wrote: »
    OLP did Chris Benoits intro music. Don't think they play it any more though after what happened.

Really, I didnt know that now. I liked that submission, just didnt think it was strong enough with what it was against, I'll definitely be checking them out anyways

In 15th place and 9 points its
    LeVar
    Not Enough – Our Lady Peace

Really like the lyrics in this one, just the singers voice is a bit grating after a while. A solid song, that has given me a bit of interest in Our Lady Peace, I’ll be checking them out after this. Just not enough to push it up the table.

Here Trig, 9 points is Not Enough, so start over and bump me up the list a bit... ;)

Just kidding, in any other Walrus 9 points would have you up top of the table, with 23 players though, this is gonna be a weird one. Fair f**ks for taking on 115 songs

This was the toughest category for me in any Walrus, as I breathe music, so struggled to imagine not being able to listen to it. Think I just went with Our Lady Peace as I remember discovering them as a teen and just listening to their entire discography non-stop for about three months straight. Only went with Not Enough as its the first song of theirs I heard, but they do have better stuff

Here Trig, 9 points is Not Enough, so start over and bump me up the list a bit... ;)

Just kidding, in any other Walrus 9 points would have you up top of the table, with 23 players though, this is gonna be a weird one. Fair f**ks for taking on 115 songs

This was the toughest category for me in any Walrus, as I breathe music, so struggled to imagine not being able to listen to it. Think I just went with Our Lady Peace as I remember discovering them as a teen and just listening to their entire discography non-stop for about three months straight. Only went with Not Enough as its the first song of theirs I heard, but they do have better stuff

I like it generally, it just fell down on my marking system. And couldnt justify it giving it more. As I said it was a solid choice, more a safe choice than anything special :pac:

Although look at what happened to EN and Necro

Although look at what happened to EN and Necro

Whoa, the wound hurts enough without the salt!

Right so, i have been roped into a Family quiz night on Zoom so i'll try get this all sorted now..

In 13th place and 11 points its
    Rikand
    Out of the Blue – System F

Boom, straight into it. Absolutely kicking. Nice change up in tempo. Defo see myself bopping away to this again. I do know it well and that kind of has brought the score down a bit compared to others.

In 12th place and 12 points its
    Baggly
    I am the Walrus – The Beatles

I’m a big fan of The Beatles, love this song, I was waiting for it to be submitted in a Walrus. Listening to this again and again and feel like I am properly on drugs just by listening :pac:

In 11th place and 13 points its
    Homer
    Heroin – The Velvet Underground

The intro really set me up for something totally different to what came after, I really like the flow of this, the story it tells, think the singers voice could be a bit stronger but yeah its excellent.

Whoa, the wound hurts enough without the salt!

Don't mention Salt!

Onto the Top 10!

In 10 place and 14 points its
    Sawduck
    Desperado – The Eagles

I like the Eagles, generally like most of their music, and this is probably my Favourite of theirs, “And your losing it all your highs and lows, aint it funny how the feeling goes, away.. Desssperaddoo” yeah its fantastic, a good choice to hear for the first time. Fantastic singers

• Advertisement

In 9th place and 15 points its
    Irish Aris
    Smalltown Boy - Bronski Beat

Lyrically it’s a very sad song, but is a lovely listen. I do like this one, a lot. Another that wouldn’t usually be my thing but I could see myself throwing this on and bopping away.

Advertisement