Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭shamrocka330

Surprisingly, the business class seats get scrapped along with the aircraft as can be seen on this EI 757 with a temporary sunroof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Unless the open roof is to facilitate removal of internal fittings for potential re-use. Of course this was not an Aer Lingus-owned aircraft anyway, so EI would presumably have no claim to any of the equipment at the end of the ASL lease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I've loyalty to no airline either but in the 20 or so times I've flown to the States in the last dozen years or so, only once did I find another airline cheaper (UA to IAD). Every other time EI was significantly cheaper (€100 or more) on routes that had competition. I wonder why that is generally the case?

As an aside, I sensed on that UA flight that the vast majority of pax were Americans whereas on EI flights, the majority seemed Irish. Whatever about expats, I think natives tend to gravitate to airlines of their home countries irrespective of price.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Shamrockj

I could be entirely wrong but I don’t remember them ever mentioning the A330NEO in any of the fleet plans. Trying to find old fleet plans but it’s hard to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭EI321

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Either way it's the inevitable anyways. That or the a350. The latter unlikely but still possible.

Is it possible for any of the non HGW 330s to reach the west coast ? Excluding the -200.

The second A320neo (EI-NSB) is entering service this evening on EI184 DUB-LHR.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭shamrocka330

That’s a fair point, never thought of that….probably easier that way than trying to fit them out the door!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I believe that all the current A333s can make West Coast if needed. But the older 4 (DUZ,ELA,EDY,EAV) would be weight restricted.

I saw an range map from the EI financial results in 2005-06, showing “current 330”, “new 330” and “a350” ranges. Granted that “a350” was a different design to the one currently in service.

The “fleet plan” I saw was a screenshot of a PowerPoint display on the phone of an Aer Lingus pilot.

Definitely never released publically.

the assumption from my flight crew friend was that the remaining A330 would be DUO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Qaanaaq

The XLR will have more space for luggage and also with the new runway operational, the LR take-off restrictions should be gone too.... But maybe the A330 NEO has quick delivery slots available very soon, it has been a poor seller so far. Maybe EI want these within the next 12 months rather than more 2nd hand Qatar A330 CEO's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I think it would be a good thing to replace some. 14 narrow body A321LR/XLRs is to many of this type given the limitations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Bit of a price difference between the 330 and 350 plus when you have an airline using a fleet of all 330 ceo, which model do you think they would get a better price on? The in-demand 350s or poor selling 330 neos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭basill

You assume a steady state. The XLRs will be planned for routes further afield and quite possibly the same issues could arise unless the airport authority changes its ways. ie: full length into wind departures from the longest runway.

I think the acquisition of the 2 Qatar A330-300's and the addition of -NSA/-NSB at short notice shows they are open to changing plans if a good offer comes up that suits. Interesting to note -NSA and -NSB are lose load luggage, no containers. I think they are the only A320's in the fleet like this.

Post edited by Shamrockj on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭john boye

Are any older A320s leaving the fleet against the NEOs?

That’s going to be a pain on those tight LHR turnarounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Also, LHR was one of the highest yielding routes for cargo. I know IAG still have capacity through the BA flights, but the savings offered by Heathrow with the NEOs must be serious to forego much of the cargo trade. Much harder to transport cargo in a non containerised aircraft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Is there still a 330 on an evening rotation on LHR? If so that could carry the freight, otherwise it'll need to go on the LRs in the morning I guess.

No, that seems to have ceased some months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭sherology

I assume as SmartAvia is a Ryanair type airline that NSA/B didn't have the cargo floor rollers fitted during build.

Assume EI will retrofit/add them when they're updating the cabin (someone posted they plan to update the cabin in the winter, and the cabin photo on the a320neo EI page show's the LR economy cabin style)? Maybe it's equipment that needs to be ordered.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Yeah I think future 320neo delivers will be to IAG spec so same cabin as Iberia etc but these two were opportunities to take faster deliveries and obviously offer big cost benefits for the LHR route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I was going to ask if they can be refitted. Assuming they can, then I imagine that'll happen sooner or later.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,574 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Were the seats on the 757s not recycled from another airline (cleaned and re-covered). Virgin maybe? And were hence very much life expires by the time the planes were retired

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Tangenitally related: DL have a warehouse where they'll sell you the old seats and other retired items.

I wonder could EI lean into that AvGeek/nostalgia and do some kind of a shop for it.

I don't see them adding the the rollers to the floor of the hold, if the aircraft comes like that from the lessor I'm not sure if its worth their while investing the money to a leased aircraft? I'm assuming its not as easy to just remove them at end of lease but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭sherology

I think having a couple of outliers without a containerized hold would make baggage handling very problematic... You'd need to prep the baggage and loading equipment differently for two frames, swapping out aircraft last minute would be a mess, prepping/scheduling cargo more cumbersome etc. Not sure how much work it would be and possibly the lessor would be footing the bill as they own the frame but no real knowledge. EI added collins mood lighting to the CEO fleet many of which are leased, and EI tend to have 10yr leases so that's a long time for "I'm going on break" every time someone sees NSA/B roll in.

Dublin to Hartford is available for booking online from the 26th of March daily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Any rumours of airlingus giving anything to either cork or shannon for next summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Nope.

The 332 are back on YYZ /SEA next summer. EI have updated the website

Also updated on the booking system Toronto is being moved back to A330-200 from the 2nd of April. That’s a neo released for the return of Hartford anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

Ei gzy was the first aircraft for Emerald Airlines uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

A return to Hartford was announced this morning. Daily on the 321N from March 26th.

I assume the ORK schedule for S23 is still being updated?

FAO is down to 1 weekly and ACE to 2 weekly. The other flights are all marked as Sold Out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 jennyb92

When does aer lingus launch their 2023 summer schedule? I remember before covid it used to be early October with releases of extra frequencies and together with new routes (both european and US) but this year no announcements have been made so far apart from single new routes announcements (CLE and return to BDL)

also it seems that YUL is definitely not starting any time soon for Aer Lingus with the 2 spare a321neo taking Cleveland and Hartford back . Some competition against AC would be great and aer lingus had already announced YUL before covid

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Heard it’s getting an extra aircraft for next year but who knows, you know rumors …

The 320 NEO are operating a SNN LHR rotation for the winter in the afternoon as well as part of the W rotation from DUB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 aircraftenthusiast2000

Looking at the schedules for summer 2023, the returning A332's will be operating for Aer Lingus Ireland rather than Aer Lingus UK. As mentioned by LR095 & Shamrockj the A332 routes will be Dublin Seattle & Dublin Toronto.

EI-DUO is definitely coming back, and would guess EI-GEY is the other as it is identical to EI-DUO in that it has satcom & wireless wheres EI-DAA does not have satcom.

The Aer Lingus UK operation out of Manchester looks unchanged for 2023, that is 1 A333 for Orlando & 1 A321LR for New York JFK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Am I correct in saying EIK, EIL, GEY are all ex Qatar aircraft?

I'm flying business to Chicago mid November, flight 123 and was hoping to avoid the substandard cabins.

It's probably not looking good for me right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

All ex QR yeah, and unfortunately it’s likely that you’ll be on one of them yeah. EI try to keep them going to/from ORD (and MCO?!?)

Post edited by Captain_Crash on

Pretty sure DAA has SATCOM? I certainly don’t remember it facing any restrictions going into the SATCOM/Datalink Mandate on the NAT pre COVID.

GEY doesn’t have crew rest so that’s the least likely to return imo if it needs to operate SEA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

I suppose my original booked seat 5k is meaningless then, pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The A330-200's were flying right up to March 2020, the requirements came in in Jan 2020?

All EI fleet is fitted with CPDLC, the 321LR's and 330's should all have the SATCOM gear

The RNP2 rules for the Tangos came into effect in Jan 2020, so I think you are right with Jan 2020 for DLM as the Tango rules were made to accommodate non-equipped aircraft. 2 years of lockdowns have scrambled my perception of time though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭orionm_73

GEY was refitted to EI spec before covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jill700a

It's being rumoured on two other platforms that a big Aer Lingus announcement will be made before the end of the year about Aer Lingus re-joining the OneWorld alliance in 2 2023. Any more information on this? I would be surprised if the Aer Lingus Lounge have enough capacity to accommodate OneWorld tiers when it's already so busy in the early mornings...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

If you kick the Silvers out there would be loads of room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Lockheed

EI-EDS and EI-DVL have not done much since the introduction of NSA and NSB. I wonder if these are the two being withdrawn? Both leased frames which adds up

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

I would imagine it's routine maintenance as there is older lease in the fleet

• Advertisement
Advertisement