Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Father Ted Cuban Priest

Options
  • 08-05-2020 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

I never got the point of this scene. He hands Ted a VCR and based off Ted's reaction he is pretty impressed. This was 1996 so I imagine VCR's were still a luxury good here in Ireland. But I don't understand, the guy is from communist Cuba. Why does he have access to such a system when the one thing we think of communist countries is shortages and a lack of capitalist luxury goods like VCR players. Is the point the Catholic church is corrupt so the priest has access to such a high tech good?

Have I missed something?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

I never got the point of this scene. He hands Ted a VCR and based off Ted's reaction he is pretty impressed. This was 1996 so I imagine VCR's were still a luxury good here in Ireland. But I don't understand, the guy is from communist Cuba. Why does he have access to such a system when the one thing we think of communist countries is shortages and a lack of capitalist luxury goods like VCR players. Is the point the Catholic church is corrupt so the priest has access to such a high tech good?

Have I missed something?

Taken you 24 years to realise you missed something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

It's always puzzled me. Never got the scene. Want to get to the bottom of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

Ah it was a very basic model though

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Is there a bad batch going around?

CSSE09 wrote: »
    Ah it was a very basic model though

Was that the point? I'm too young to know what type of VCR would have been in at the time? The way the priest had a bit of a swagger I just assumed he was wealthy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Have I missed something?

Does the video not turn out to be Bishop Brennan chasing his kid around the beach??

Just to point out as well that VCR was already dying in 1996, DVD had just appeared. So no, owning a player wasn’t a luxury at that time :D

Hahah I must have just been poor. Didn't get a DVD player till 2003.

That explains it. I thought the VCR was a much later mass produced product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Hahah I must have just been poor. Didn't get a DVD player till 2003.

That explains it.

I had a dvd in 2001 but was still recording things from the tv on VCR up to 2003. Hour long videos of Kerrang and the music channels on sky :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,636 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Have I missed something?

Dougal got the VCR player. Ted got the fertility statue.

CHCgQiUVIAAL3vl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Have I missed something?

It's a joke scene!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,576 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Ah, here's the new Packard we've been hearing so much about!

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

DVDs may have started in the mid-90's but they certainly weren't popular here until the early 2000's

• Registered Users Posts: 22,271 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It was actually a deeply political and nuanced attack on the global political hegemony

The V stands for Vichy, the French government standin during WW2, the C for Communism and the R for Revolution

The choice of a Cuban to deliver this message is a clear statement that while communism might not be the best system for rapid technological advancement, it does deliver what the people need and would be happy to accept, even if it only has a 3 week pre-record function

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Taking a world with such things as the age of the 'new' car, the pissant amounts of money Ted bets and acts like the world has ended if he loses and so on, a VCR would be a very generous gift. It also set up a plotline anyway.
    Rothko wrote: »
    DVDs may have started in the mid-90's but they certainly weren't popular here until the early 2000's

By 1998 when we got a (massive, clonky, unreliable Philips) DVD player they were already taking up a significant amount of space in Xtravision locally - and remember they use less space than VHS tapes. VCRs held on for home recording for many years but DVD was already popular by '98 and probably dominant by 2000 for new purchase and rental. DVD recorders were only on the market affordably later than that, and realistically crap, which is why VHS held on until DVRs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's got a 3 week timer for recording iirc, I think ours didn't even have a date setting

The voiceover in that scene still cracks me up every time I hear it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It's always puzzled me. Never got the scene. Want to get to the bottom of it.

You're way overthinking this. The (pretty rudimentary) gag is the bit about a 'simple example of Cuban handicraft.'

The bit I never got was:

MRS. DOYLE: You do like pheasant, don't you Father?
    TED: Pheasant? I love pheasant.
    MRS. DOYLE: Well there's a little clue. The thing you'll be eating likes pheasant as well.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You're way overthinking this. The (pretty rudimentary) gag is the bit about a 'simple example of Cuban handicraft.'

The bit I never got was:

MRS. DOYLE: Well there's a little clue. The thing you'll be eating likes pheasant as well.

Fox, I'd assume. But its an utterly obscure reference and even more so if they didn't mean fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Should we have a thread for each joke in every sit com father?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

The bit I never got was:

When she asks does he like pheasant you think the meal she'll be serving is pheasant. Then in the next line you find out it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Was that the point? I'm too young to know what type of VCR would have been in at the time? The way the priest had a bit of a swagger I just assumed he was wealthy.
    Have you considered staying away from humour? Or human contact?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

unhappys10 wrote: »
    Taken you 24 years to realise you missed something?

Those women were in the nip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

Love the Father Jack's selective hearing skit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

L1011 wrote: »
    Taking a world with such things as the age of the 'new' car, the pissant amounts of money Ted bets and acts like the world has ended if he loses and so on, a VCR would be a very generous gift. It also set up a plotline anyway.

By 1998 when we got a (massive, clonky, unreliable Philips) DVD player they were already taking up a significant amount of space in Xtravision locally - and remember they use less space than VHS tapes. VCRs held on for home recording for many years but DVD was already popular by '98 and probably dominant by 2000 for new purchase and rental. DVD recorders were only on the market affordably later than that, and realistically crap, which is why VHS held on until DVRs.

DVDs didn’t take off until the release of The Matrix and the PlayStation 2, at least in Ireland anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

The last VCR was made in 2016. 20 years after that episode imagine the pre record facility on that wan, and probably auto tracking ! Although, there's nothing better in live than taking the time out to watch a cleaning tape in action. The sweet smell of cleaning fluid too... Hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Homelander

DVD was fairly common by around 1999/2000, I stopped renting and buying VHS at that point. I remember my parents continued to rent VHS for a while as we only had a DVD player in the PC.

One of my friends had a DVD player from very early on, maybe 1997 or so, it was huge - actually bigger than a VHS player.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

"And for you Ted I have somthing very special"

I'm surprised to see so many people misremembering the prevalence of DVDs in Ireland. Very few people outside of the techheads or wealthy middle class ponces in Dublin used them before late 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I'm surprised to see so many people misremembering the prevalence of DVDs in Ireland. Very few people outside of the techheads or wealthy middle class ponces in Dublin used them before late 2000.

You strike me as the sort of fellow who picked one up 2nd hand from Donedeal circa 2009 along with 6 black bags of DVDs which were sold by the kilo.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

You strike me as the sort of fellow who picked one up 2nd hand from Donedeal circa 2009 along with 6 black bags of DVDs which were sold by the kilo.

I also heard that instead of ears he has four arses

• Advertisement

So I didn't watch DVDs until 2009 but I did buy stuff from the internet at that time? I think you're a little bit confused, DVDs were far more mainstream than ecommerce back then.

Anyway I actually do still watch VHS tapes from time to time. I taped a few episodes of Bracken when TG4 repeated it back around 2000.

Advertisement