Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The pandemic affecting menstrual cycles?

Options
  • 07-05-2020 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here experienced a change in their menstrual cycles? My monthly cycles are usually every 28/29 days. Sometimes especially at times of stress it can be delayed but usually for no more than about 4/5 days. It does settle down then.

My last period was in March and it was late by about two weeks. I've had nothing since than so I'm on cycle day 47/48 now. This hasn't happened to me before. I'm 37 so it's unlikely menopause.

Has anyone else experienced a change in their monthly cycles?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Can't say that I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

owlbethere wrote: »
    Has anyone here experienced a change in their menstrual cycles? My monthly cycles are usually every 28/29 days. Sometimes especially at times of stress it can be delayed but usually for no more than about 4/5 days. It does settle down then.

My last period was in March and it was late by about two weeks. I've had nothing since than so I'm on cycle day 47/48 now. This hasn't happened to me before. I'm 37 so it's unlikely menopause.

Could be perimenopause? This starts about 10 years before your actual menopause.

If you look at the list of symptoms you might find you have some of those too. A cycle length that long seems extreme though, I presume you've ruled out pregnancy! I'd go see the gynecologist tbh.

Also, talking about women's things outside of our designated area? You'll scare most of the regular posters away lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

biko wrote: »
    Can't say that I have.

Same here.:D

Having better bowel movements however with that cardboard food from
    Mcdonalds off the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭plodder

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Also, talking about women's things outside of our designated area? You'll scare most of the regular posters away lol
    Ah, I guess you are being ironic but why should anyone assume that the default poster is male anyway? Even if it is the case, I don't think anyone could be confused by the question, and they may still be interested in the discussion :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I have, I've found it's late. I'm presuming because my general lifestyle patterns have changed a lot and my work stress has gone way up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭wench

My PMS arrived on time, but the main event was a few days late. That was a fun week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Seem to have totally skipped mine for March and then got a double helping 2 weeks ago (almost 4 weeks late), and it's still going on currently :(

So yes I've found it to have a big impact on mine, very unusual and not the norm for me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I found this, it's about the pandemic and stress and the monthly cycle

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alicebroster/2020/05/04/why-you-might-miss-a-period-during-the-coronavirus-pandemic/amp/

It says that stress can play a part. I find it strange. In the beginning in February and in March I was anxious about this virus but I'm doing well now. I'm not stressed about the virus anymore. I'm cautious when in public which is limited and I'm taking each day as it comes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

I found this, it's about the pandemic and stress and the monthly cycle

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alicebroster/2020/05/04/why-you-might-miss-a-period-during-the-coronavirus-pandemic/amp/

It says that stress can play a part. I find it strange. In the beginning in February and in March I was anxious about this virus but I'm doing well now. I'm not stressed about the virus anymore. I'm cautious when in public which is limited and I'm taking each day as it comes.

Interesting, I think the cortisol (stress hormone) levels have a knock on effect on the usual cycle hormones so you might be seeing the result of that with cycle being a bit messed up.

I think it's amazing how the body reacts to stress (even if we don't think we are stressed) and can prevent ovulation/impact fertility etc in times where it recognises that pregnancy might not be ideal.

Advertisement