Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

running towards

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭the descent

Thursday - 11/03 - Rest
    F - 12/03 - Rest
    S - 13/03 - Home circuits + foam rolling / mobility
    S - 14/04 - 2 x 5.5 km cycles + 13.7 km trail run, 61mins @ 4:28/km, lots of hills

This was the first week I started feeling the onset of shin splint type symptoms in my lower legs. I had taken a full 7 days off running to and decided to try a run on Sunday to see what the story was. Ended up really enjoying the run, my first time ever circumnavigating Richmond Park. Normally I go about 2/3 of the way around and retrace my steps. The legs felt fine.

M - 15/03 - 43 mins, 5:38/km (7.6 km)
    T - 16/03 - 61 mins, 5:11/km (11.84 km)
    W - 17/03 - Workout: 6 x 3mins off 90s jog rec, + w/u, c/d - 53 mins total, (10.6 km)
    T - 18/03 - rest
    F - 19/03 - 60 mins on the bike, 22.8 km
    S - 20/03 - Workout: Hills, 4x10s + 4x20s hills + w/u, c/d ~ 60 mins
    S - 21/03 - 20 mins v easy + 100 mins easy, 22.7 km total

This was a good week's training but looking at it now I shouldn't have done so much the week after taking a week off with suspect shins. :(
    I felt really strong during the Wednesday session. The efforts were tough but I was able to recover during the rest periods. Not so long ago I would have had to break that session up into 2 sets with a longer rest in the middle. Then on Saturday, during that hills session I felt faster than I have in ages, really enjoyed it. I was pressed for time to get back home for the Ireland v England 6N game, so between the buzz of a good session and the way the game went, it ended up being an enjoyable day. The long run on Sunday was good as well, I felt really in control even towards the end, which is good progress from a few months ago where I would be really hanging on at the end of anything longer than 70 mins' running.

M - 22/03 - Rest
    T - 23/03 - Rest
    W - 24/03 - 60 mins cycle (22.8 km) - 223m elevation gain
    T - 25/03 - Rest
    F - 26/03 - 60 mins cycle (22.8 km) - 223m elevation gain
    S - 27/03 - Rest
    S - 28/03 - 112 mins cycle (44.84 km) - 656m elevation gain

So... basically after last week my shins have been in bits. There was probably a few warning signs that everything wasn't rosy on some of the runs during the week but I chose not to heed them. Anyway, here I am. I've been foam rolling and doing rehab exercises most days to try speed up the recovery process but I reckon I need another week at least - probably more like two - of no running and a gradual reintroduction from there. Unlike like the last time I had shin splints, I'm going to try to hold on to my fitness using the bike so I can start back on square run rather than one.

Positives are that I'm actually enjoying the cycling. It's not as fun as running, but it could be worse. I spent a good whack of time this weekend learning how to service the bike, which was very very VERY much in need of it. Satisfying to see the benefit of that on my ride this afternoon, which ended up being my longest one ever. Nearly hit 60 km/hr on one of the downhills. Requires some nerve.

Advertisement