Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocooners

Options
  • 04-05-2020 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know whether the over 70s etc are more likely to get infected than others or is it that they are "just" more likely to get sicker from the infection.

It seems to me that there may be no real plan in the offing to advise cocooners it it safe to go outside in the same way as the general population until such time as a vaccination is available.

Is there a concern not only for their wellbeing but also that they may present a heightened risk of spreading the infection if they do not obey the rules for cocooning (and become infected)?

Is it not going to be possible for older people ,when restrictions are relaxed for the general population (but with social distancing still in place) to get out and about provided they just stick to the social distancing guidelines?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,332 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

We don't know enough information about the disease yet. But it certainly looks that Elderly people get sicker from it.
    That's not surprising after all the elderly are generally more prone to illness in general than younger people, you only have to look at how many elderly were in hospitals for non-elective reasons.

But you need to distinguish between the ability to spread the disease vs suffering the effects. It looks like relatively healthy people are spreading the disease, and the elderly are suffering the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Exactly. 20 years old might not even know he has it while 70+ will not even have a time to recover before they are diagnosed.

I am 39 so I would prefer not to find out if this is deadly for me, understandably.

Majority of victims of covid19 are elderly, so there are numbers to support cocconing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Everyone has the same chance of getting infected. The severity of the disease is likely to be much more serious for the higher risk groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

amandstu wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether the over 70s etc are more likely to get infected than others or is it that they are "just" more likely to get sicker from the infection.

It seems to me that there may be no real plan in the offing to advise cocooners it it safe to go outside in the same way as the general population until such time as a vaccination is available.

Is there a concern not only for their wellbeing but also that they may present a heightened risk of spreading the infection if they do not obey the rules for cocooning (and become infected)?

Is it not going to be possible for older people ,when restrictions are relaxed for the general population (but with social distancing still in place) to get out and about provided they just stick to the social distancing guidelines?

It is that the over 70s have a much higher chance of becoming very sick if they contract the virus. Regarding easing of restrictions, someone who is over 70 can go out just like anyone else if they choose to do so. Cocooning is not manadatory, it is just advisory.

Advertisement