Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Basically, its nothing like Ireland and the comparisons are not helpful.

Whilst we don't have a Brexit scenario to compare to and the principle of people in positions of leadership breaking rules that they impose on the rest of the population is the same, I suppose at least they (in Ireland) have paid some price and didn't just brazen it out.

So yeah, fair point, well made.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭OldRio

Whataboutery and deflection.

Ah bollox to politics. 'Do as I say. Not as I do.'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I see that Kellyane Conway has resigned her position. A slight whiff of rats fleeing the sinking ship maybe (hopefully)?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Bazzo wrote: »
    I see that Kellyane Conway has resigned her position. A slight whiff of rats fleeing the sinking ship maybe (hopefully)?

No this is a legitimate family issue. Her husband George who is part the Republican anti-Trump group Lincoln Project is stepping back as well. Their teenage daughter has been posting some concerning videos about her relationship with her parents and wanting to gain emancipation. It's not a healthily functioning household.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

stephen_n wrote: »
    Am re-reading 1984 at the moment, not sure it can be classed as fiction anymore.

I'm reading it myself at the moment too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

No this is a legitimate family issue. Her husband George who is part the Republican anti-Trump group Lincoln Project is stepping back as well. Their teenage daughter has been posting some concerning videos about her relationship with her parents and wanting to gain emancipation. It's not a healthily functioning household.

It's really quite sad. Can't even imagine growing up in a household like that where both parents are in the public eye on completely different ends of the political spectrum and taking jabs at each other.

• Administrators Posts: 53,460 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's really quite sad. Can't even imagine growing up in a household like that where both parents are in the public eye on completely different ends of the political spectrum and taking jabs at each other.

They aren't on different ends of the spectrum, George Conway is a republican, he's just not a Trump republican. They're just two different flavours of the same thing.

awec wrote: »
    They aren't on different ends of the spectrum, George Conway is a republican, he's just not a Trump republican. They're just two different flavours of the same thing.

Kellyanne is probably Trump's most competent spokesperson. What she is capable of saying and defending with a straight face is astonishing and she is the best in the business at muddying the waters on an issue and diluting the administrations failures with whataboutery and 'alternative facts' as she coined it.

It's a loss for Trump for sure, and whilst it's being framed as a family issue I think this is just Kellyanne getting off the ship plenty early. When I heard about the resignation I saw some of the daughters tweets and she is definitely gone a bit unhinged, but that isn't a new development either whereas Trump is beginning to look un-electable.

Walking away now from the administration / Lincoln project means that both political operatives can keep their bibs a little bit clean for the next show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Remember when Kellyanne Conway coined the term 'alternative facts' and we all thought it was gas?

Then it turned out to be a policy manifesto for the subsequent four years.

Remember when Kellyanne Conway coined the term 'alternative facts' and we all thought it was gas?

Then it turned out to be a policy manifesto for the subsequent four years.

And the ideology and methods have been fully adopted in England also.

Quite a rapid decline of Democratic norms in a very short space of time and it's spreading.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,124 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

as an aside ot the politics....

theres a very interesting event due to take place in Florida in the near future

https://futurism.com/florida-releasing-billion-genetically-modified-mosquitoes?ref=thefuturist

The US EPA have approved a plan to basically release 750 million mutant mosquitoes in order to suffocate the population of mosquitoes in the state. As you can imagine there are many environmentalist movements against this plan, the biggest argument against is more along the lines of the unknown effects on other ecosystems, than any love for the humble mosquito itself.
    The mutant bugs are designed so that the females die away at larvae stage, so in the process the population is rapidly diminished.

While this has occurred already as a test in Juazeiro in brazil, the outcomes, while initially successful, has thrown up some unexpected results.. including that the population jumped back up within 18 months and the new population are more resilient to control attempts

The outcome of this will be extremely interesting to follow

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Spent a week in northern Italy there earlier this month. The mosquitoes were enough to almost single-handedly ruin the whole trip. Hate the bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

sydthebeat wrote: »

https://futurism.com/florida-releasing-billion-genetically-modified-mosquitoes?ref=thefuturist

The US EPA have approved a plan to basically release 750 million mutant mosquitoes in order to suffocate the population of mosquitoes in the state. As you can imagine there are many environmentalist movements against this plan, the biggest argument against is more along the lines of the unknown effects on other ecosystems, than any love for the humble mosquito itself.
    The mutant bugs are designed so that the females die away at larvae stage, so in the process the population is rapidly diminished.

While this has occurred already as a test in Juazeiro in brazil, the outcomes, while initially successful, has thrown up some unexpected results.. including that the population jumped back up within 18 months and the new population are more resilient to control attempts

Yeah I was at a talk last year by some researchers plotting a similar approach, but where the mutants produce impotent male offspring. Concerns regarding impact on the ecosystem were voiced, but the researchers were adamant that the approach would only be used with invasive mosquito species that were never part of a food web in a given area, and pretty much just moved in and spread disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Spent a week in northern Italy there earlier this month. The mosquitoes were enough to almost single-handedly ruin the whole trip. Hate the bastards.

Ah the tiger mosquitos of Emilia Romagna. Can't say I'll ever miss those insatiable pests.

Simpsons did it already

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Why is it that this entire year just seems like a brand new season of Black Mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Like when they introduced stoats in NZ to curb the rampant rabbit population which had also been introduced? This will end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

I have had about 40 mosquito bites so far this summer, could be more. I welcome this. hopefully there are no adverse side affects

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭b.gud

Next time you get a pizza drizzle some spicy honey on it, you can thank me later

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Like when they introduced stoats in NZ to curb the rampant rabbit population which had also been introduced? This will end well.

Or when the Aussies introduced cane toads to kill the sugar cane beetle. Great idea.

• Advertisement

b.gud wrote: »
    Next time you get a pizza drizzle some spicy honey on it, you can thank me later

WTF is spicy honey???

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

WTF is spicy honey???

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest it's some manner of spiced honey.

Buer wrote: »
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest it's some manner of spiced honey.

Sounds like an oxymoroic abomination to me.

WTF is spicy honey???

Honey that is cooked with chilies to give it a spicy kick. This is the recipe I based mine off. I'm looking forward to trying it with more things. I'm thinking fried chicken next

Sounds like an oxymoroic abomination to me.

Don't knock it til you've tried it, it's a really great mix of spicy and sweet.

Don't knock it til you've tried it, it's a really great mix of spicy and sweet.

i guess i mainly use honey on tea, breakfast and toast... so the idea of giving it a spicy kick doesnt make any sense to me.

if i want something sweet with a kick, say for a curry, i just use one of the many hot chutneys like spiced mango.

but your right, ill try it and see.. .just not in my tea ;)

i guess i mainly use honey on tea, breakfast and toast... so the idea of giving it a spicy kick doesnt make any sense to me.

if i want something sweet with a kick, say for a curry, i just use one of the many hot chutneys like spiced mango.

but your right, ill try it and see.. .just not in my tea ;)

Yeah it depends on the use case, spicy honey in tea definitely doesn't sound nice. I made sure to put the spicy honey as far away from the regular as possible to avoid any unfortunate mix ups :D

Probably the best Superman movie made to date was just released. It's an animated movie, loses it's way a bit in the final act but a much more interesting take on the origin of Superman: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11079116/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Honey that is cooked with chilies to give it a spicy kick. This is the recipe I based mine off. I'm looking forward to trying it with more things. I'm thinking fried chicken next

Thank you. That looks fantastic. Definitely going to give that a go. Chicken wings and ribs will probably be first on the list. Recently made my own spicy bourbon BBQ sauce. So much better than anything you can buy in the shop.

• Advertisement

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Thank you. That looks fantastic. Definitely going to give that a go. Chicken wings and ribs will probably be first on the list. Recently made my own spicy bourbon BBQ sauce. So much better than anything you can buy in the shop.

NP it is really ridiculously easy to make too, only takes 5 minutes. Mmmm chicken wings sounds good, next time I do some Buffalo wings I'll leave some aside to try out with the honey. That sounds nice though I don't find myself eating BBQ sauce as much as I used to.

Advertisement