Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

At the risk of starting an argument, I've found watching Ireland under Kenny to be way more enjoyable than his predecessors...

I'd love if there was a "ball time spent above 4ft" metric to compare.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Surely they measure box kicks and hang time?!!

😉

• Subscribers Posts: 40,989 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Totally agree. Just wish we had a bit more quality now, especially in midfield and up front. Anyone that wants him sacked can get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Desperately crying out for a more senior striker, Idah and Parrot are two for the future but not at that level yet.

Long gone are the days of a big name foreign manager being bank rolled by a private beneficiary too, so even if you were to sack Kenny the alternatives would have to be people who would want to take the job, which wouldn't be a long list of candidates with more experience than himself

• Advertisement

Kenny is a nice lad, but so far out of his depth it isn't even funny anymore. Tactically inept, woefully unprepared for international football

The longer he remains in the job, the more damage he does to the team long term.... thank you for your service, and good-bye

Tactically inept? What you want him to do, 10 players behind the ball? And what the hell does woefully unprepared mean? He has probably the weakest bunch of players Ireland have ever had. And is trying to play a bit of football with them. Given time and a bit more quality coming through (with consistent game time), he'll do well.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,989 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

there is no manager on earth that could get that squad to qualify for qatar.

kenny at least has them playing decent football and has confidence in their ability.

not his fault those players arent of a higher level.

its so much better than the trap and o neill era where those managers had better players but had no confidence in them to play football.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The best thing an Irish manager could do would be to pull the team out of the competition. Someone needs to start a boycott of that grotesque tournament.

I presume it's not actually something the coach could decide but it would be at least some small meaningful measure.

Not a chance... Kenny will take that side absolutely nowhere.... He's just not good enough, the longer the FAI continue, the harder it will be for his successor to convince Irish born players like Odubeko to commit to Ireland, and he's not the only player we could end up losing.. woefully unprepared in so far as he didn't realise that a number of his squad are English born and his video before the England game was absolutely moronic, no matter what some people say

This isn't about qualifying for the world cup...we were never realistically going to do that..but you don't head into tournaments and get beaten by Luxembourg & bested by azerbaijan. .we have some very good players coming through.... but nothing in the current management set up is going to develop them into a cohesive unit capable of actually winning 2 games in a row

• Advertisement

Meh, that whole video incident sounded like a storm in a tea cup, and someone with an axe to grind. I very much doubt it's the first time there was something similar done before an Ire v Eng game. Think most fans are excited to have him after the utter shite we've been subjected to over the years. I'd completely disagree on him not being able to develop them into a cohesive unit.

I can't see it happening.... but bookmark this post and if you're proven right, you have my full permission to rub my face in it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I don't think you can close down at the moment? But I'll be here in one form or another 😉

Not much on the go at the moment to watch (or maybe it's just that I've seen everything at this stage). 'What If' is grand but not really captivating, recently watched 'The Night Of' which I thought was quite good.

Am looking forward to the Dune movie and Many Saints of Newark next month. Have heard mixed repots on Shang Chi so weighing up whether to take the kids to that one.

On a slightly different tone, this documentary on 9/11 came out earlier in the week and it's probably the best account of the day that I've seen. Can still remember the day quite vividly, was on holidays with no TV or internet access and ended up sitting in a remote country pub for the day watching Sky News:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Could not be less interested in that Dune movie. That Timothee Chalamet fella creeps me out altogether - he was on Graham Norton a couple of years ago and the want of fame was utterly dripping off of him and it made me really uncomfortable to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Very good Venjur. There is also the doco from the 2 French guys who were following a fire crew. That is very good too. 20 years has gone past quickly. As a kid i used to go up to the cockpit of the smaller Air NZ regional flights. That sort of thing was allowed before 9/11. The science of why the buildings collapsed is also interesting.

Will defo give Dune a watch when it comes out. Fully expect it to bomb though, with no sequel.

I remember people saying the same about the Blade Runner sequel and Villeneuve pulled that off. Sicario also a quality movie so am hopeful it's good - certainly looks impressive.

That documentary was good alright Swiwi, watched it a few years ago. Link for anyone interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd6D5xls5Y0&ab_channel=VillageStudyGroup

Blade Runner bombed at the box office. I thought it was great. Hated Sicario though. Must give it another watch as I can't remember why.

• Advertisement

The blade runner sequel while not awful, definitely didn't hit anywhere near the brilliance of the original...I don't think anyones movie experience would be ruined by not seeing it tbh

The perfect Xmas pressie for our northern breathern 😂

Brendan Mullen is up to his ears in it.. he's had at least one civil case against him, and now arrested and charged with defrauding a bank of at least half a million euro... could be a long & messy trial ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Hmmm, just read about it now https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2021/0921/1248107-brendan-mullin-court/

The line from the article "He also toured Australia in 1989 with the British and Irish Lions..." is a bit of a strange one. They didn't add the 'and Irish' bit till 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

He still has awesome hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Was/is he not one of the directors of Zamano as well. Those pest text scammers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

This should make it interesting...

"They also claim all three defendants had produced manufactured and false documents purporting to show the couple signed authority forms and mandates when they had not."

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭The Silver Branch

Janey. From afar he always came across as a clean cut individual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Yeah I think so he was sued over investing clients money into that lot as well.

Advertisement