Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying live rabbits

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭garyc007

laoismanj wrote: »
    We can reintroduce rabbits it ahould and will work anywhere we want it to if there are old warrens for cover

You should be alright where you are, much better land and rabbit population than in these parts

• Registered Users Posts: 50 laoismanj

garyc007 wrote: »
    You should be alright where you are, much better land and rabbit population than in these parts

Im certainly going to try. Iv found the old warrens that havent seen a rabbit in close to 10 years. Have a couple of permissions but cattle would drive you absouloutly insane the stupid braindead animals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Would the bun's not go bush? Certainly, in england, a lot of bun's live above ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 laoismanj

Stigura wrote: »
    Would the bun's not go bush? Certainly, in england, a lot of bun's live above ground.
    Well id let them into the burrow so they would have cover

That's the thing, see? No holes around here. It'd be a case of adapt and survive. Though, as has been said; Even pet ones, let loose, can make it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Bushwack

Rabbit pen on a release pen scale would work especially in the breeding months. I saw the results of one in action and it shocked me how well they bread and spread out.

That would living the dream, Bushwack!

Unfortunately, I know it won't need me to point out to ye the absolutely phenomenal costs involved is such a project! :eek:

I mean, I'm ready to buy some buns and inoculate them. Then, I guess I'd have to figure out what to do with them! :D But, rabbit proof fencing my paddock?! Wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Eddie B

That would living the dream, Bushwack!

Unfortunately, I know it won't need me to point out to ye the absolutely phenomenal costs involved is such a project! :eek:

I mean, I'm ready to buy some buns and inoculate them. Then, I guess I'd have to figure out what to do with them! :D But, rabbit proof fencing my paddock?! Wow!

How would it even work though mate? Yes, rabbits can be secured, but what about the digging and burrowing? Stop them digging, and how does the breeding work?

Even inoculation, may be a waste of money and time. Give your ten rabbits a jab, and they are protected for a year. What then?

Even if they were protected for life, how long would that be? Yea i get it. These rabbits could churn out a load of youngsters. But said youngsters aren't protected at all.

Then you have the initial release. How many released rabbits get preyed upon before they settle into their new environment?

Jesus i woke up with negativity today, didnt i! :)

I know it's hard to believe but I nearly fell over when I saw it. As for the breeding Eddie,you don't have to tell the rabbits about the birds and the bees so long as they can get under ground.They actually started breeding outside in burrows surrounding the pen. I suppose disease could wipe out a cluster of them but they all wont stay in the one place.

LMFAO! :D It's all just a bit of a crazy dream really, Ed'. But, it's a good chat, along with a beer ..... Ooh! So saying; Is that the time? Back in a second!

I guess, how I'm viewing it? If we look at in in a laboratory mind set? Obviously; We release the rabbits. They get eaten, over night, by buck pine martens. Any that miraculously escape predation are then just sitting around waiting to die of one of the diseases. That seems to make sense.

But, let's not forget; Someone, above has already warned us that they ~ for what ever reason ~ released four pet rabbits. And now have Twenty four and doing what rabbits do!

Add to that the simple fact that I live well away from the road. Amidst land owned by my neighbours for as far as the eye can see. None of which are interested in killing much beyond rats and feral cats.

So, my own buns would be totally isolated from any idiots with a mind to play silly buggers ~ they'd practically have no way of knowing they were even here. They'd have my beady eye watching over them. I think they'd at least have a good a chance as the above posters merry crew.

As for the jabs? I'd be hoping that would stand a chance of passing Some level of immunity to their offspring. Again; Precious little chance of anyone turning up here and Giving them anything.

I'm not talking about the rerabbitation of all Eire, after all. I'd just like to be able to see one, now and then. Local little pocket, just for the half a dozen acres I look at :)

• Advertisement

LMFAO! :D It's all just a bit of a crazy dream really, Ed'. But, it's a good chat, along with a beer ..... Ooh! So saying; Is that the time? Back in a second!

I guess, how I'm viewing it? If we look at in in a laboratory mind set? Obviously; We release the rabbits. They get eaten, over night, by buck pine martens. Any that miraculously escape predation are then just sitting around waiting to die of one of the diseases. That seems to make sense.

But, let's not forget; Someone, above has already warned us that they ~ for what ever reason ~ released four pet rabbits. And now have Twenty four and doing what rabbits do!

Add to that the simple fact that I live well away from the road. Amidst land owned by my neighbours for as far as the eye can see. None of which are interested in killing much beyond rats and feral cats.

So, my own buns would be totally isolated from any idiots with a mind to play silly buggers ~ they'd practically have no way of knowing they were even here. They'd have my beady eye watching over them. I think they'd at least have a good a chance as the above posters merry crew.

As for the jabs? I'd be hoping that would stand a chance of passing Some level of immunity to their offspring. Again; Precious little chance of anyone turning up here and Giving them anything.

I'm not talking about the rerabbitation of all Eire, after all. I'd just like to be able to see one, now and then. Local little pocket, just for the half a dozen acres I look at :)

A, im in much better form now lol. Wonder would it be even possible to obtain the vaccine? Would it be costly?

If you won the lotto, would predator proofing an area produce better results?

The reason i ask that is my brother has a large back lawn, which for years has been full of rabbits. The place is moving with them. Thing is, the land surrounding his garden was once just like his garden, but now has very few rabbits. An odd one here and there. More appear in the summer with a burst of young rabbits, and then dissapear again.

So why aren't those rabbits in his garden affected, or less affected? Why are their numbers remaining high, whilst others in the area are struggling? Is predation a factor, which the rabbits in the garden have to deal with less often? Are the rabbits in the garden sort of isolated from those in the surrounding fields, and so avoiding the virus?

DIY Bun Jabs. ;) I'd buy them like a shot! (Boom! Boom! Giddit? 'Like a ..... ' :rolleyes: God. I'm on the bloody Jameson now!)

Ye bro' has a load of rabbits??? What are we waiting for?! :cool:

Regards beyond his lawn? Dunno. It's hard to conjecture through the internet, isn't it? Is his place, effectively, 'rabbit proof'?

Could it not be human predation keeping them down. beyond his land? I can hardly see 'predators' recognising and respecting his lines. Nor disease ~ as long as the bun's beyond can reach his.

Thing is; If we can just stop looking for doom and gloom at every opportunity? Actual facts ~ as much as random internet posts are ~ are Telling Us it Can be done! Even without vaccines!

Ye know me, Eddie. I'm a man of my word. I'll always put my money where my mouth is. And I'm plenty crazy enough to invest in just such a venture as this! :D

DIY Bun Jabs. ;) I'd buy them like a shot! (Boom! Boom! Giddit? 'Like a ..... ' :rolleyes: God. I'm on the bloody Jameson now!)

Ye bro' has a load of rabbits??? What are we waiting for?! :cool:

Regards beyond his lawn? Dunno. It's hard to conjecture through the internet, isn't it? Is his place, effectively, 'rabbit proof'?

Could it not be human predation keeping them down. beyond his land? I can hardly see 'predators' recognising and respecting his lines. Nor disease ~ as long as the bun's beyond can reach his.

Thing is; If we can just stop looking for doom and gloom at every opportunity? Actual facts ~ as much as random internet posts are ~ are Telling Us it Can be done! Even without vaccines!

Ye know me, Eddie. I'm a man of my word. I'll always put my money where my mouth is. And I'm plenty crazy enough to invest in just such a venture as this! :D

He likes his rabbits and aint sharing them lol. Must a watched too much Watership Down as a kid lol.

How about starting at the beginning, and doing it like how it was done when rabbits were seen as something of value. What ya think about making a pillow mound mate? lol

https://norfolktalesmyths.com/tag/rabbits/

Eddie B wrote: »
    A, im in much better form now lol. Wonder would it be even possible to obtain the vaccine? Would it be costly?

If you won the lotto, would predator proofing an area produce better results?

The reason i ask that is my brother has a large back lawn, which for years has been full of rabbits. The place is moving with them. Thing is, the land surrounding his garden was once just like his garden, but now has very few rabbits. An odd one here and there. More appear in the summer with a burst of young rabbits, and then dissapear again.

So why aren't those rabbits in his garden affected, or less affected? Why are their numbers remaining high, whilst others in the area are struggling? Is predation a factor, which the rabbits in the garden have to deal with less often? Are the rabbits in the garden sort of isolated from those in the surrounding fields, and so avoiding the virus?

Look at the situation we are all in now with a virus. Look at how it spreads. It spreads through contact with each other. It can sit on a surface for 72 hours,your dog can have it. It can end up in your yard from a parcel. Now if your a rabbit being hunted by man well man has to be a major link in the spread.I think Rhd can be transported on your boots,mixie can could be transported on a tick on a ferret or a fox with fleas .Maybe the garden rabbits are staying in the garden and your brother stays out of the fields.

Making a 'Pillow Mound'?! I'm so clapped out, now, I have to pay a neighbour to bury my Dogs! I'd drop dead, trying to dig my own grave! :D

Anyway; What good's a mound, when the instructions read: " Just Add Rabbits "?! :pac:

If ye brother's so fond of his? He should be made up to think he'd be sending some to a loving, caring new home. There to procreate and prosper. He'll be sick when disease Does come. Then he'll have nothing. And I won't be able to restock him .....

No. I actually, genuinely Do have a couple of spots here that would be ideal for bun's to harbour. One particular spot is my very own land, behind this cottage! Fenced off from my Dogs. I never go there any more.

Thick understory of brambles and stuff. Bordered by well drained fields. Bunny eutopia!

But, we're just going round in circles, now. I Just Need Some Bun's! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

How would it even work though mate? Yes, rabbits can be secured, but what about the digging and burrowing? Stop them digging, and how does the breeding work?

Even inoculation, may be a waste of money and time. Give your ten rabbits a jab, and they are protected for a year. What then?

Even if they were protected for life, how long would that be? Yea i get it. These rabbits could churn out a load of youngsters. But said youngsters aren't protected at all.

Then you have the initial release. How many released rabbits get preyed upon before they settle into their new environment?

Jesus i woke up with negativity today, didnt i! :)

of the around 30 rabbits we have here running wild we moved 6 out to a field near the bog. the bog is about 300 yards from our garden. around the house here they come and go to the near fields but the 6 we left out near the bog disappeared over night. They do dig near home but it takes them a while to dig anything they could use. If they had holes to run into right away I think they would do better. All rabbits here are from pet rabbit stock no wild blood at All.

no rabbits in this area other than mine so I'd say preditors are the problem not RHD or any thing like it. would love to swap all mine for wild rabbits

Benny mcc wrote: »
    of the around 30 rabbits we have here running wild we moved 6 out to a field near the bog. the bog is about 300 yards from our garden. around the house here they come and go to the near fields but the 6 we left out near the bog disappeared over night. They do dig near home but it takes them a while to dig anything they could use. If they had holes to run into right away I think they would do better. All rabbits here are from pet rabbit stock no wild blood at All.

Pillow mound lad!:D

Making a 'Pillow Mound'?! I'm so clapped out, now, I have to pay a neighbour to bury my Dogs! I'd drop dead, trying to dig my own grave! :D

Anyway; What good's a mound, when the instructions read: " Just Add Rabbits "?! :pac:

If ye brother's so fond of his? He should be made up to think he'd be sending some to a loving, caring new home. There to procreate and prosper. He'll be sick when disease Does come. Then he'll have nothing. And I won't be able to restock him .....

No. I actually, genuinely Do have a couple of spots here that would be ideal for bun's to harbour. One particular spot is my very own land, behind this cottage! Fenced off from my Dogs. I never go there any more.

Thick understory of brambles and stuff. Bordered by well drained fields. Bunny eutopia!

But, we're just going round in circles, now. I Just Need Some Bun's! :D

Yes, there has got to be ferreting men from your county on here. That's what we need. Someone who can get ten fresh rabbits in a mornings work, and deliver them pronto

• Registered Users Posts: 9,663 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Benny mcc wrote: »

Boggy ground is not what rabbits like - they prefer sandy dry places like whats found in their native lands in Southern Europe. Thats why the only rabbits we have near my place in North Mayo are on the sand dunes.

• Advertisement

Benny, my man! :D Sorry, mate; Just read the entire thread, again, to find Who it was let the tame ones go. None other than ye good self, of course!

Why, may I ask, would ye be so keen to swap ye ~ perfectly fine ~ home bred's for wild stock? What do ye think that would bring to the table?

Cracking conversation, this, lads! Best bloody thing on the internet, right now! It's like the old days, in the pub! :D

Yes, there has got to be ferreting men from your county on here. That's what we need.

There in lies the rub :( I was doing some work for a bloke. Spotted a little ferret box in his shed. He'd come over with it.

Bottom line is; Like me, he has a ferret box. But, no ferrets. Who keeps ferrets in a place void of bun's :confused:

There in lies the rub :( I was doing some work for a bloke. Spotted a little ferret box in his shed. He'd come over with it.

Bottom line is; Like me, he has a ferret box. But, no ferrets. Who keeps ferrets in a place void of bun's :confused:

Yes, but I'm guessing that like here, within a half hours drive from yours you'do probably have pockets here and there of healthy numbers of rabbits. So to find a ferreting man close enough to you would still be a possibility. Also, I was just thinking. Most don't start working ferrets till September comes round. Not far to wait mind

:confused: Maybe, for clarity, I should specifically state here that I am trying to Buy domestic bred bun's? Half a dozen would probably do it.

That said? I'm sure anyone able to fetch me Wild bun's could reach a mutually satisfactory arrangement :)

But, then? I reconsider Benny's input, and I'm thinking: Couple of pairs? Even mix and match? I have that big, concrete floored room, going to waste .....

Hell! I could even become the epicentre of bun repopulation stock! :cool:

:confused: Maybe, for clarity, I should specifically state here that I am trying to Buy domestic bred bun's? Half a dozen would probably do it.

That said? I'm sure anyone able to fetch me Wild bun's could reach a mutually satisfactory arrangement :)

But, then? I reconsider Benny's input, and I'm thinking: Couple of pairs? Even mix and match? I have that big, concrete floored room, going to waste .....

Hell! I could even become the epicentre of bun repopulation stock! :cool:

Be like a scene out of Father Ted, with the hairy Japanese **stards!!!

Yes, but I'm guessing that like here, within a half hours drive from yours .....

I'm a hermit, Eddie. Literally. Seriously! I was in social isolation Long before this Flumonia stuff kicked off.

Me? Knowing where there might be rabbits, within a half hours drive?! Wow! No!

I called a lift into town, what? Last Thursday? Was completely lost amongst this surreal situation. Every bugger, but me, walking into shops with masks on. Ripping them aside and gasping as they came out.

Driver explained. Whoops! No. I Did Not get the memo! :oThat's me.

I just sit here. At my desk. Chatting to people like you. Wondering where to get rabbits; So I can help to return the world to a better place. I'm uncomplicated :)

Be like a scene out of Father Ted, with the hairy Japanese **stards!!!

OMFG!!! I swear; I've seen One episode of Father Ted. That was the one!!!

And, the most memorably funny bit of film I've Ever seen was the guy who'd given up rabbits, for Rottweilers! " Now, now. Ye naughty Dog. Ye shouldn't be looking at me like that! "

I swear, I Cried with laughter for Days over that one! Am now! :D

I'm a hermit, Eddie. Literally. Seriously! I was in social isolation Long before this Flumonia stuff kicked off.

Me? Knowing where there might be rabbits, within a half hours drive?! Wow! No!

I called a lift into town, what? Last Thursday? Was completely lost amongst this surreal situation. Every bugger, but me, walking into shops with masks on. Ripping them aside and gasping as they came out.

Driver explained. Whoops! No. I Did Not get the memo! :oThat's me.

I just sit here. At my desk. Chatting to people like you. Wondering where to get rabbits; So I can help to return the world to a better place. I'm uncomplicated :)

Totally understand that mate. What i meant was, that IF there was a ferreting man not a million miles from you, HE would have knowledge of any rabbits in the area and even further a field.

These guys will travel for their sport. Especially a young lad, because he has more time on his hands.

Ten rabbits is not a huge number either. Average mornings work, in a healthy warren.

Yes i know im talking a lot of IF'S, but find the right contact, and it really would be achievable.

Anyway, getting back to pet rabbits. In the 80's, my father bought a couple of white rabbits off the coal man. Hedelivered them on his rounds. He made a large hutch inside the turf shed. Big long rectangle, with seperate compartments. Let males in to breed with females, and then seperate them once the deed was done. Churned out a lot of little rabbits from that shed. My mother didnt seem to enjoy all the rabbits, as much as us kids did lol

He also bought a ferret off the coal man. It was good sport back then. So easy get a few rabbits for the pot.

Benny, my man! :D Sorry, mate; Just read the entire thread, again, to find Who it was let the tame ones go. None other than ye good self, of course!

Why, may I ask, would ye be so keen to swap ye ~ perfectly fine ~ home bred's for wild stock? What do ye think that would bring to the table?

Cracking conversation, this, lads! Best bloody thing on the internet, right now! It's like the old days, in the pub! :D

well some of mine are very like wild rabbit but what ever breeding is in them some are coming ugly hairy ****ers.

• Advertisement

Pillow mound lad!:D

what's a pillow mound and how do I go about it?

Advertisement